Obama has good chance to win Georgia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:59:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama has good chance to win Georgia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama has good chance to win Georgia  (Read 2695 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »

Why does everyone think Obama is such a longshot to win Georgia? Early voting has been going on since 9/22, and the demographics look very strong for him.  Blacks make up 35.52% of the 892,230 voters thus far! If this continues to hold as it has for the past month:

35% Black voters @ 95% = 33.25%
61% White voters @23% = 14.03%
4%   Other voters @ 70% =  2.80%

Total                                  = 50.08%

Obama only needs about 23%-27% of the white vote to win this state!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »

How do you know that Blacks will also make up 35-36% on Election Day and not 25% ?

(Allthough I think the share will be higher than 25%, maybe close to 30%.)
panda_priest
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:44:10 PM »

I live in GA and I would be so happy if he wins here.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:45:37 PM »

Only if we assume that early voters aren't subtracting from election-day electorate, or something like that.  Winning Georgia would require low evangelical white turnout, period.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:46:22 PM »

How do you know that Blacks will also make up 35-36% on Election Day and not 25% ?

Early voting has been going on for over a month now, and black percentage has held remarkably steady at 35%-37% the whole time.  More than half the state will have already voted before Election Day. The overall black percentage won't dip much, if at all.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »

Early voting has been going on for over a month now, and black percentage has held remarkably steady at 35%-37% the whole time.  More than half the state will have already voted before Election Day. The overall black percentage won't dip much, if at all.

So, white voters are just gonna not show up, or what?  Obama's campaign has been heavily targeting blacks for early voting.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:50:44 PM »

So, white voters are just gonna not show up, or what?  Obama's campaign has been heavily targeting blacks for early voting.

Good lord man, I'm just saying that Obama has a very plausible shot to win Georgia. Blacks will make up 30%-35% of the electorate (I think closer to 35%). Whites will show up, but at a lower rate than blacks.

Georgia will be the first state to flip after Indiana.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »

Good lord man, I'm just saying that Obama has a very plausible shot to win Georgia. Blacks will make up 30%-35% of the electorate (I think closer to 35%). Whites will show up, but at a lower rate than blacks.

Well, OK.  I disagree, but we'll see.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »

And even so, Obama only needs to win about 25% of whites to win the state. That seems very possible to me.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 01:56:05 PM »

Well, my disagreement is not that Obama can get a quarter of whites, it's that the black vote isn't going to decline more than 1% or 2%.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 02:01:01 PM »

Everybody gets emotional at the mentioning of Georgia flipping. Wink I forgot where I posted it, but whites have saw their percentage of the electorate drop from 68% in 2004 to 63% in 2008, which is one good sign. The other thing is that from living in a traditionally very strong Republican area of GA (even when the Democrats controlled GA), that I've encountered many white people who are staying home on Election Day because they think both of the candidates are crap.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »

I think that, with Barr getting ~2-3%, Obama only really needs 48 or 49%. If he can get 30% among non-black voters and keep the black vote total at 30% or more, then he wins Georgia. I really don't understand why he isn't throwing some money at it. Winning the state is definitely within the realm of possibility, and he'll probably carry Martin across the finish line even if he comes up a bit short in the Presidential race.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »

If I were McCain, I'd be a lot more worried about Georgia if Barr were polling well there.  Naderesque numbers from 2000 maybe...

Georgia should be safe McCain unless there's a major meltdown.  I just don't see fundamentalists and other southern conservatives staying home in large enough numbers to help Obama.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »

Georgia should be safe McCain unless there's a major meltdown.  I just don't see fundamentalists and other southern conservatives staying home in large enough numbers to help Obama.

A big chunk of the Republican base in Georgia is non-evangelical transplants to suburban Atlanta who vote Republican on the basic government-does-nothing-for-me platform and they aren't going to come out because of Sarah Palin or Supreme Court judges. Ditto for the Charlotte suburbs.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »

A big chunk of the Republican base in Georgia is non-evangelical transplants to suburban Atlanta who vote Republican on the basic government-does-nothing-for-me platform and they aren't going to come out because of Sarah Palin or Supreme Court judges. Ditto for the Charlotte suburbs.

That could be what's making Georgia a shade closer than, say, Alabama or Mississippi.  But enough for a win?  I'm not sure. 

I am curious though -- and maybe a Georgian or someone with an encyclopaedic mind like Sam Spade can help me.  Why did Clarke, Taliaferro and Hancock counties go so heavily for Kerry in 2004? I get Dekalb and Fulton Counties...but these others?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 04:16:53 PM »

the funny thing is....on the off chance that obama doesnt happen to win ga, you will never see this thread again.  no one will bump it.  mention it.  anything.

if i make a bad prediction, you hear about it for years and years and years.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:47 PM »

the funny thing is....on the off chance that obama doesnt happen to win ga, you will never see this thread again.  no one will bump it.  mention it.  anything.

Go ahead and bump it.

I am not predicting that Obama will win, but I am predicting that the race will be within 2%-3% either way. That is all this thread is saying, that it will be very close.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 04:21:51 PM »

Go ahead and bump it.

I am not predicting that Obama will win, but I am predicting that the race will be within 2%-3% either way. That is all this thread is saying, that it will be very close.

i wont bump it.  it isnt my thing.

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »

Go ahead. My prediction is that the race will be within 2%-3%, and Obama has about a 40% chance to win.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »

Go ahead. My prediction is that the race will be within 2%-3%, and Obama has about a 40% chance to win.
Phew.....40%? Ehhh.....I just dont see the demos holding up....Ill say, 20%.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »

Phew.....40%? Ehhh.....I just dont see the demos holding up....Ill say, 20%.

The toughest thing to predict is how much of the white vote he'll get. If it's over 25%, he'll have a good shot.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 06:37:39 PM »

That could be what's making Georgia a shade closer than, say, Alabama or Mississippi.  But enough for a win?  I'm not sure. 

I am curious though -- and maybe a Georgian or someone with an encyclopaedic mind like Sam Spade can help me.  Why did Clarke, Taliaferro and Hancock counties go so heavily for Kerry in 2004? I get Dekalb and Fulton Counties...but these others?

Clarke:  28% black, home of all of those commielib professors and graduate students at the University of Georgia in Athens.

Taliaferro: 60% black
Hancock: 78% black
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 06:54:41 PM »

McCain wins Georgia, hands down.  The demographics do not at all favor Obama barring some massive collapse. And McCain is recovering very well nationally over the past week.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 06:57:31 PM »

McCain wins Georgia, hands down.  The demographics do not at all favor Obama barring some massive collapse. And McCain is recovering very well nationally over the past week.
Not really: http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/08-us-pres-ge-mvo.php?xml=/flashcharts/content/xml/08USPresGEMvO.xml&choices=Obama,McCain&phone=&ivr=&internet=&mail=&smoothing=&from_date=2008-10-01&to_date=&min_pct=&max_pct=&grid=&points=&trends=&lines=
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »

The last two polls on this race have Obama down by 2% (Democracy Corps) and 5% (Rasmussen).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies