Employee Free Choice Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:20:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Employee Free Choice Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Employee Free Choice Act  (Read 4981 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2008, 05:15:40 AM »

EFCA wiki article
Is this inevatable now?  Can anybody explain why non-secret ballots are a good things?  It just sounds so wrong.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:23:02 AM »

If the Dems don't gain a 60 seat advantage in the Senate (it will be close), then this thing might not become law.  However, if they do, then say hello to the new era of "the union."

As far as this being a good thing, no.  The bill is horrendous since it trumps the States right to be right-to-work states while making it next to impossible for a business to not accept a union if a group of the employees demand one.  And that doesn't even go into the part about non-secret ballots.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:49:35 AM »

In 2003 State Sen. Obama was one of the yes votes that made this law in IL. It was a close vote, and I believe it failed on the first attempt in the Senate that year.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:56:13 AM »

In 2003 State Sen. Obama was one of the yes votes that made this law in IL. It was a close vote, and I believe it failed on the first attempt in the Senate that year.

I floors me that people would actually support this.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »

If the Democrats pass this I'll leave the party.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »

Don't let the door hit you.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 01:50:06 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2008, 01:53:29 PM by TheresNoMoney »

It floors me that anybody would actually be against this. It doesn't eliminateb] secret ballots, it merely gives the majority anothe option of open voting if they choose.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »

As far as this being a good thing, no.  The bill is horrendous since it trumps the States right to be right-to-work states

The "Employee Free Choice Act" will not repeal "Right to Work" regulations, as established under the Taft-Hartley Act. "Right to Work" states establish that membership in an organized labor union can not be compulsory for employment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employee_Free_Choice_Act

NDN
Uganda

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 02:08:05 PM »

It floors me that anybody would actually be against this. It doesn't eliminateb] secret ballots, it merely gives the majority anothe option of open voting if they choose.
Why should the majority have the power to force others to reveal their vote? That sounds like it would amount to the exact same thing.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 02:08:26 PM »

I don't know about you but when McGovern criticizes something on privacy grounds something tells me it's no good.

That's a bad standard to go by. Especially considering his facts are wrong: "We cannot be a party that strips working Americans of the right to a secret-ballot election."

This legislation doesn't strip people the right to a secret-ballot election.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »

Would absolutely kill small businesses in this country - that's the primary reason why I'm against it.

The effect on larger corporations could be somewhat counter-intuitive, since they generally have the money to affect their own coercion tactics on workers who wish to unionize.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 02:18:07 PM »

And if it did you'd be against it?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »

No, I'd still support it. But that's the only argument against it I ever hear, and it's a false argument.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »

"Employee free choice" would presumably mean that each employee decides for himself whether to join a union. Of course, that is not what this legislation provides for; its plain and obvious intention is to enhance the coercive privileges of unions.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 03:34:12 PM »

No, I'd still support it.

Why?  What is gained by making someone publically state their vote?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »

Alright, bye. Millions of new union members will more than make up for your (rather fickle considering you were supporting Barr a bit ago) vote.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »

I don't see how this will gain us new votes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »

I don't see how this will gain us new votes.
Union members vote for Democrats.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 10:54:36 PM »

Except when they don't.

...especially people forced into it by open ballots and threats.  That would make many much less likely to vote for them.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 10:56:32 PM »

By the way, may I once again suggest you guys go after guns next?  That'll be sure to win you the hearts and minds!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 11:05:08 PM »

Would absolutely kill small businesses in this country - that's the primary reason why I'm against it.

The effect on larger corporations could be somewhat counter-intuitive, since they generally have the money to affect their own coercion tactics on workers who wish to unionize.

Depends on the small business. If they treat their employees like cogs in a machine, they will attempt to unionize. If they treat them with respect and decency, they won't. Giving them extra incentive to do the latter is a good thing in my opinion.

Agreed that large businesses have their own propaganda machines and knee cap breaking tactics; all the more reason unions are necessary to help balance out that power.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 11:07:28 PM »

Depends on the small business. If they treat their employees like cogs in a machine, they will attempt to unionize. If they treat them with respect and decency, they won't. Giving them extra incentive to do the latter is a good thing in my opinion.

They won't do the latter though, but just fall further behind foreign industries (not that that is in any way a negative).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »

"Employee free choice" would presumably mean that each employee decides for himself whether to join a union. Of course, that is not what this legislation provides for; its plain and obvious intention is to enhance the coercive privileges of unions.

The current system enhances the coercive privileges of businesses. Obviously true freedom on the part of everyone would be optimal, but that can only be achieved when both sides have equal power.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 11:10:02 PM »

They won't do the latter though, but just fall further behind foreign industries (not that that is in any way a negative).

True, which is a big part of the reason why unions and 20th century (we need at least those everywhere first, then hopefully eventually get 21st century) labor and environmental standards need to globalize as well as the ultimate solution to the problem.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 11:10:38 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2008, 11:13:25 PM by Torie »

It is totally horrible, but in the end won't make much difference. Unions can't affect wages much without an industrial oligopoly or monopoly, and workers sense that. That is why unions are largely limited to utilities and government now. Unions in the private sector will still largely remain comatose or wane further, as Detroit collapses. Unions are NOT our future. They are the past.

However, government can replace unions. The Dems, some of them, will be pushing anew comparative worth pay scales, among gender based occupations, and the like, rather than letting the market set wage rates. That is doomed to failure too, but may be just one of those experiments that will be tried.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies