MN-06 Dem Challenger El Tinklenburg gets $40,000 in donations in 4 hours.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 07:52:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN-06 Dem Challenger El Tinklenburg gets $40,000 in donations in 4 hours.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MN-06 Dem Challenger El Tinklenburg gets $40,000 in donations in 4 hours.  (Read 12764 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 03:24:23 AM »

I can't believe this woman got elected in a state like Minnesota. Do her constituents know she's this nutty? I can't believe they do.

Read what I said on the first page.

I did, but in reality it's only an R+5 district.
Doesn't change the fact that a lot of that Rep vote (more than on the other side of the Twin Cities suburbia, apparently) is what you'd call hard support.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 07:38:32 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2008, 07:00:16 PM by dantheroman »

Ironically, Tinklenburg almost certainly would have won had be been the candidate in 2006. 2008, well, Mr. Tinklenburg, meet Dan Williams.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 01:32:27 PM »

I can't believe this woman got elected in a state like Minnesota. Do her constituents know she's this nutty? I can't believe they do.

You don't understand... it's an R+5 district.

It's funny how the most rural, traditionally German Catholic conservative areas are actually the more liberal areas of the district.  The super Republican areas are in the exurbs. 

I think it says a lot that my home town, 160 miles closer to the middle of nowhere is a lot more liberal than the 6th district.

But again, it comes down to the Scandinavian Lutherans versus the southern German Catholics (even the Germans here are largely protestant and from northern Germany).

People here joke about the incest in Stearns County and how backasswards people are "down there"... I went to school there for 4 years, canvassed, and called for the central MN DFL... I've seen it first hand.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »

It's funny how the most rural, traditionally German Catholic conservative areas are actually the more liberal areas of the district.  The super Republican areas are in the exurbs. 

I think it says a lot that my home town, 160 miles closer to the middle of nowhere is a lot more liberal than the 6th district.

But again, it comes down to the Scandinavian Lutherans versus the southern German Catholics (even the Germans here are largely protestant and from northern Germany).
I was going to ask "you call Mankato your hometown now, Dakota boy? Huh " Then I noticed it's not BRTD posting. Cheesy
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »

Doesn't change the fact that a lot of that Rep vote (more than on the other side of the Twin Cities suburbia, apparently) is what you'd call hard support.

That's because there isn't St. Cloud on the other side. It's not really conservative (at least not the city itself), but it along with I-94 has led to a lot more exurbia dotting the countryside. On the south side once you're out of Lakeville, Prior Lake or Chanhassan you're basically out of the metro, and no more tons of uber-GOP relatively highly populated areas.

It also helps that it has a large Native American population, is way poorer than the district, and has a university (yes St. Cloud does too but that's not really the area you're referring to.)

I was going to ask "you call Mankato your hometown now, Dakota boy? Huh " Then I noticed it's not BRTD posting. Cheesy

Mankato also isn't anywhere near 160 miles "in the middle of nowhere".
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 10:38:41 PM »

I hadn't watched the whole Bachmann video until just now...

We need to investigate people in congress that hold "anti-American" views?  She really is Michele "batsh**t crazy" Bachmann.

This woman deserves to lose, bad.. and she just might because this is making the evening news all over the state, and people aren't happy about it.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:29 PM »

She really is Michele "batsh**t crazy" Bachmann.

And she has that distant, crazy look in her eyes like there's nothing going on upstairs when she's saying those things. Really creepy.

This woman deserves to lose, bad.. and she just might because this is making the evening news all over the state, and people aren't happy about it.

Is this really getting alot of negative press around the state? I figured the media would ignore it like they usually do.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2008, 10:47:42 PM by Fritz »

God, I hope the 6th district has enough brains to get rid of her.

And yes, this has been getting some local coverage.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 07:29:13 AM »

Now to $640,000.

Plus, Aubrey Immelman, who mounted an unsuccessful Republican primary challenge to Bachmann, said today he will file to run as a write-in candidate for MN-06.

"The Republican Party needs to rebuild its image, and this cannot be done when its elected representatives say these kinds of things," he said.

Think she's regretting going on Hardball now?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »

Good for her. God, we need a Joe McCarthy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 01:02:09 PM »

Mankato also isn't anywhere near 160 miles "in the middle of nowhere".
How far exactly is Mankato from the Twin Cities? I've no idea. For all I know it could be 160 miles. Smiley Nor did he say "in the middle of nowhere". He said "160 miles closer to the middle of nowhere" (than Bachmann's district). Seeing as the middle of nowhere is Western Nebraska...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »

Mankato's 80 miles from Minneapolis, and about 60 miles from the edge of the metro, though there's also an area in it where once you leave the city you're in the 2nd district which is the main district of the south metro.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

Good for her. God, we need a Joe McCarthy.
Why do you hate what the founders fought for, States?

Knocking off this disgusting Bachmann character would be sweet, and would definitely piss off the Republican far-righties (like States) who adore her and her un-American views.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »

Any chance she actually loses?
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »

Dunno. Latest poll she was only up by 4, and even her own internals have her at 47%. Now this other republican has entered the race as a write-in, so maybe. On the other hand:

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »

DCCC pledges 1 million to the race

total for Tinklenburg over last weekend now up to 740k
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 05:41:48 PM »

First Bachmann was blaming viewers for misconstruing what she said, then she started blaming Matthews for bringing up the "anti-American" thing..

She should have kept her mouth shut.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 07:47:42 PM »

People in this district either love michele or hate her.  There isn't much of a middle ground.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 04:53:31 PM »

http://www.startribune.com/politics/31412049.html

Tinklenburg raises $800,000 in 5 days.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 04:58:52 PM »

Think she's regretting going on Hardball now?

Almost certainly not.  Bachmann is clearly the type of culture warrior who firmly believes the garbage she spews, and would rather lose and be right than be something she isn't and win.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14777.html

"I never called all liberals anti-American"

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) said on MSNBC’s “Hardball” Friday that Barack Obama may have “anti-American views” and that the news media should conduct a “penetrating exposé” to determine whether members of Congress are “pro-America or anti-America.”

Politico asked Bachmann what she meant.

Last Friday, all the liberal special interests from California to Vermont found a new outlet for their energy, their frustrations and their money. That would be in defeating me.

In a matter of 48 hours after I participated in an interview with Chris Matthews on MSNBC’s “Hardball,” more than $640,000 from donors across the country flooded into my opponent’s campaign. Almost to a one, these are people who never would have considered voting for me if they lived in Minnesota. In fact, most of them have probably never voted for a Republican. These are strong supporters of Barack Obama who want to see more liberal policies enacted in Washington.

These are not people who know anything about my policy views. They don’t know anything about my record of reaching across the aisle on issues ranging from support for small business to foster care improvements, an issue near and dear to my heart as a former foster mother to 23 troubled teens. Or about my record of standing up to my own party when the occasion calls for it — such as opposing the $700 billion Wall Street bailout — and standing up to members of the other party when they try to push through tax hikes or limit personal liberty.

These are not even people who know anything about my opponent or his positions on the issues — though they are willing to donate to him based on a few minutes of listening to the political echo chamber.

They have been riled up by a spin machine in serious overdrive as we come down the homestretch to Election Day.

Despite the way the blogs and the Democratic Party are spinning it, I never called all liberals anti-American, I never questioned Barack Obama’s patriotism, and I never asked for some House Un-American Activities Committee witch hunt into my colleagues in Congress.

What I did was ask legitimate questions that Minnesotans have been asking me: What does Barack Obama mean by change?

He sounds good when he talks about hope and change — there’s no denying that. But what types of policies would come from an Obama White House? He hasn’t had a long record in office, but what we do know is that he’s been rated the most liberal senator. Beyond that, we have to look for other ways to discern the substance behind his pretty platitudes.

Why isn’t it appropriate to ask about the formative relationships he’s had? The types of relationships that may have influenced Barack Obama’s views on public policy and on government decision making? Why is the media more intent on learning the type of plumbing license Joe the Plumber has than on exploring the obvious questions about Barack Obama’s formative relationships with people such as the Rev. Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayers — people with views far outside the mainstream, where most voters find themselves?

For at least two years, the American people are potentially looking at a liberal policy agenda dominating Washington from both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue. In fact, it’s conceivable that the Democrat majority in the Senate could be large enough that the traditional minority right to filibuster would be entirely eviscerated. So why isn’t it appropriate to ask what that policy agenda would look like?

Of course, none of these points has been noted in any subsequent media reports of the interview. It’s like a political version of the children’s game of telephone. I make a statement in an interview. Chris Matthews distorts it — as he is paid so well to do. The liberal blogs contort it even more. The speaker of the House and other Democrat leaders utter absolute lies about what was said in the interview. Then the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee picks it up and runs with it, buying $1 million for negative ads so that they don’t have to talk about the issues.

And it’s the issues that the voters in Minnesota’s 6th District want to talk about. Everywhere I go, people ask about the $700 billion Wall Street bailout, and they want to know why we’re saddling taxpayers with generations of debt to pay for risky decisions by Wall Street financiers. There’s a clear distinction between my position on this bailout — I opposed it both times it came before the House — and that of my opponent, who says he would have supported it.

The Democrats don’t want to talk about the pocketbook issues that are really on the minds of Minnesotans. Those voters were concerned about how much it cost to fill their tank with gas this summer, but that pales in comparison to how much it might cost to heat their homes this winter.

They want to know how they’re going to pay their mortgage and their grocery bills. Again, my record and my opponent’s are clearly different when it comes to the family budget. I’ve always stood up for lower taxes and against wasteful government spending.

But when you can’t win on the issues, you steal the election with a couple of lies and $1 million worth of mud. And the media reports and Democrat responses to my interview on “Hardball” have been echoing the outright lies of the liberal blogs. Is it really any wonder people are so cynical about politics?
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »

You guys think she's better looking than Palin? I think she is... maybe I'm attracted to crazies.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »

She just realized how badly she screwed up. If you weren't mad enough at Bachmann already...listen to her backpedal and spin and twist and dissemble here. It's a very, very lame attempt to try to cover up what she said. Darling, we have you on video saying that stuff. You were spewing that vile witch hunt filth on Hardball for fifteen minutes. You aren't doing yourself ANY favors with this sorry attempt at spin.

In fact, after the first two opening paragraphs where she whines that people are sending money to her opponent because of what she said, she starts right into outright lies and distortions. Pretty much everything she says here is a lie. For instance:

1) "These are not people who know anything about my policy views." WRONG! We pay attention. We do research. Many of us have a firm grasp on what at least some of your policy positions are. I can name several right off the top of my head. Anyway, we do know what you're all about, both from your record and from listening to you speak, and we don't like it one bit.

2) "These are not even people who know anything about my opponent or his positions on the issues — though they are willing to donate to him based on a few minutes of listening to the political echo chamber." What echo chamber? We donated to Elwyn after we heard YOU speaking YOUR WORDS, sans any "echo chamber" you may try to invoke now.

3) "They have been riled up by a spin machine in serious overdrive as we come down the homestretch to Election Day." Total baloney. There is no spin machine involved here. This happened as a direct result of listening to YOU speak in YOUR OWN WORDS. We, the very powerful liberal blogosphere, then decided to donate to your opponent. The only "spin machine" involved in this is coming from you, here in this piece.

4) "Despite the way the blogs and the Democratic Party are spinning it, I never called all liberals anti-American, I never questioned Barack Obama’s patriotism, and I never asked for some House Un-American Activities Committee witch hunt into my colleagues in Congress." Bullcrap. That is exactly what you did, all three of those. Except you said the media should handle the job instead of a House Un-American Activities Committee. And you didn't actually say "all liberals", you said far-left liberals.

5) "What I did was ask legitimate questions that Minnesotans have been asking me: What does Barack Obama mean by change?" No, I'm sorry, that's not what you did. I've listened to it twice. You never said anything like that.

6) "He sounds good when he talks about hope and change — there’s no denying that." Finally a sentence that is not a lie! And do you know WHY he sounds so good, hmm?? BECAUSE HE'S RIGHT!! And you and your party are wrong!

7) "Why isn’t it appropriate to ask about the formative relationships he’s had?" Because it's not what the people want to hear about. It's not real political discourse. We want you to debate substantive issues and reach for consensus. We are not interested in the kind of BS that always seems to devolve into negative personal attacks on a candidate's character. And anyway, Barack never had any kind of a "formative relationship" with William Ayers. It's ridiculous. You are doing the same thing again, even here in this attempt at an apology, by using language like "formative relationship". As Colin Powell said, it's despicable, and you need to stop it. And he WAS referring SPECIFICALLY to YOU yesterday when he was talking about the Congressman from Minnesota who has been going around saying how we need to investigate all Congressmen to see if they are pro-America or not pro-America. He said we have got to stop this kind of NONSENSE!

8 ) "It’s like a political version of the children’s game of telephone. I make a statement in an interview. Chris Matthews distorts it — as he is paid so well to do. The liberal blogs contort it even more. The speaker of the House and other Democrat leaders utter absolute lies about what was said in the interview. Then the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee picks it up and runs with it, buying $1 million for negative ads so that they don’t have to talk about the issues." I'm sorry, but no one is contorting your words. There is no need to. You said it. It's on video. You're really messed up if you think denying it is going to help you now. Oh, and thanks for the GREAT NEWS about the DCCC making the $1 million advertising buy in to compliment the $1 million that we are going to send El's campaign this week.

9 ) "But when you can’t win on the issues, you steal the election with a couple of lies and $1 million worth of mud. And the media reports and Democrat responses to my interview on “Hardball” have been echoing the outright lies of the liberal blogs. Is it really any wonder people are so cynical about politics?" OMG! ZOMG!! No! What? What!? GDI! No!  This statement defines irony.   Is she talking about McCain here??

http://www.actblue.com/entity/fundraisers/18660
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 05:37:53 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14776.html

Bachmann turns to overdrive
By DANIEL LIBIT | 10/20/08 7:53 PM EDT

Rep. Michele Bachmann’s call for a media investigation into “anti-American” members of Congress may have been the macaca — or McCarthy — moment of 2008, but it has also given the Minnesota Republican something she’s been angling for since arriving in Congress two years ago: the national spotlight.

To be on Bachmann’s press e-mail listserv these last few months is to see her determined, deliberate march to the top of the cable news booker list. It’s Bachmann on Larry King, Bachmann on Bloomberg, Bachmann on Cavuto, Bachmann on O’Reilly, Bachmann on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”

Bachmann, Bachmann everywhere.

The congresswoman has been on national cable news shows at least 23 times since the beginning of September, a scheduled guest of Larry King’s on seven occasions.

“She is very good at what she does,” explains Michelle Marston, Bachmann’s chief of staff, who is on leave to serve as the congresswoman’s reelection campaign spokeswoman. “Once we got her on these national media outlets and she could show how well she presents the conservative argument and how she can put a fresh face and perspective , they started calling her back.”

A Minnesota GOP operative close to Bachmann casts the congresswoman’s love for the camera in a less positive light.

“I think that she’s a media hound first and foremost,” said the operative. “That has been her biggest goal from Day One: to be in the media spotlight, to be a representative who is the spokesman for the Republican Party — and she’s made that a very concerted effort, to be in the spotlight as much as possible.

“Why would Larry King want or Chris Matthews want to have her on? Precisely because of what happened on Friday.”
<...>

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 05:40:19 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/10/michele-bachman.html

Rep. Michele Bachmann works to undo self-inflicted political damage

Chances are, your weekend was better than Michele Bachmann's

As a first-term congresswoman, the Republican from Minnesota likely would have been campaigning anyway. The surprise -- for her and those who had been watching her race -- was that she found herself on the defensive, trying to explain away controversial comments she made Friday night in what became a notorious appearance on MSNBC's "Hardball".

Interviewed by host Chris Matthews -- which meant, as a conservative, she was operating without a net -- Bachmann said of Barack Obama, "I'm very concerned that he may have anti-American views." She then went on to call for a "penetrating expose" by the media into the levels of patriotism among her colleagues on Capitol Hill.
<...>

Link to the interview she did on Sunday, 10/19/08, for WCCO TV in Minnesota.
http://wcco.com/election/michele.bachmann.obama.2.844079.html

Please let this wingnut be unseated two weeks from today.  Oh please Lordy, let this happen!

fb
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies