*IF* Obama loses, what would be the reaction...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:47:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  *IF* Obama loses, what would be the reaction...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: *IF* Obama loses, what would be the reaction...  (Read 4342 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2008, 10:39:31 AM »

OK, lets say no major events happen between now and election day, no new scandals, no new international crisis, DOW around 8000...and Obama still loses when he was expected to win by, say, 5%.

How would the following react...

Europe?

African Americans?

MSM?

MSNBC?

IMO, if Obama is up by an average of 5% and still loses, there could be a reaction similar to the Rodney King verdict.

agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:42:25 AM »

I assume he'd concede and we would go on business as usual.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:42:41 AM »

I've been saying that we're going to have some race problems regardless of who wins. It's so sad but true.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »

Europe? - complaining

African Americans? - rioting, heck there may even be rioting in a victory

MSM? - Bradley effect

MSNBC? - Keith Olbermann's head would explode.  Talk about everyone being racists

But it's not going to happen.  If Obama loses, he won't be 5% ahead the day of the election.  If the media were to think he is, that would just mean that the media is slow to any changes.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:53:15 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2008, 10:57:03 AM by jmfcst the etrm analyst »

no, if Obama loses by 2004 margin or less, expect court challenges in every state McCain carries by Purple heart%.  That means you could have multiple 2000 replaying in OH, VA, FL, etc, etc.

Obama would have to lose the popular vote by >3% for him to concede.

In any case, if Obama loses, Sharpton and JJackson are right back in the driver's seat leading marches in every major city, and a much larger percentage of blacks would be converting to Islam.

McCain winning in an upset would set back race relations 30-35 years, to the days of the Black Panthers.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:58:12 AM »

no, if Obama loses by 2004 margin or less, expect court challenges in every state McCain carries by Purple heart%.  That means you could have multiple 2000 replaying in OH, VA, FL, etc, etc.

In any case, if Obama loses, Sharpton and JJackson are right back in the driver's seat leading marches in every major city, and a much larger percentage of blacks would be converting to Islam.

McCain winning in an upset would set back race relations 30-35 years, to the days of the Black Panthers.

WTF?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:59:30 AM »

There are some interesting statements made on this site...
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:03:10 AM »

WTF?

Obama losing in an upset would play right into the hands of the leader of the Nation of Islam, Louis Farrakhan.  It would be a very dangerous situation and you would see a surge in the number of militant black groups.  
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2008, 11:07:41 AM by jmfcst the etrm analyst »

There are some interesting statements made on this site...

dude, you're linkless  (or were you referring to this very forum?)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »

I think jmfcst is having fantasies about potting away at swarthy marauders with his 'shootin iron' from his sweaty Houston cabin-house.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »

WTF?

Obama losing in an upset would play right into the hands of the leader of the Nation of Islam, Louis Farrakhan.  It would be a very dangerous situation and you would see a surge in the number of militant black groups.  

while you're probably right about that, I'd also add that an Obama victory is likely to see a big revival in the militia movement and white supremacist groups.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 12:17:03 PM »

It would mean the number of people voting against Obama because of his color was larger than thought, but probably still not as near as big as the group voting for him because he is black.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:43:14 PM »

europe would flip out...which.would.make my day
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 12:44:18 PM »

It would mean the number of people voting against Obama because of his color was larger than thought, but probably still not as near as big as the group voting for him because he is black.

Dumbass statement. Only about 5-15% of blacks are voting for Obama because he is black. 80% of them vote default democrat regardless of who the candidate is and whether they are white,black,brown or albino. Don't believe me? Check out the exit poll results for the governor's race in Ohio and the senate race in MD in 2006. Now that leads to a movement of maybe maybe a point in the polls. But if the majority decides to vote against someone because of their race, they will make a whole lot more impact than a few blacks. Also note these "racist" blacks have never had a problem pulling the lever for a white person before, in fact they have done it till they were given the right to vote.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 12:47:35 PM »

Oh yeah because being hated in the world is working out just great for us. Roll Eyes Man you republicans have no idea what kind of world we are about to live in. This is a new globalized world and it wouldn't be a good idea to throw up a giant middle finger to them by voting for Mccain. Voting for him would make all our foreign policy issues 10 times harder to resolve. I am not saying it's fair but that's what happens when a president from your party fukcs up our relationship with the world. Now everybody overseas thinks republicans are evil or something.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »

Oh yeah because being hated in the world is working out just great for us. Roll Eyes

we are not of this world Wink

---

Man you republicans have no idea what kind of world we are about to live in.

oh, I have a pretty good hunch it's going to involve a WMD war between Israel/Syria/Iran

---

This is a new globalized world and it wouldn't be a good idea to throw up a giant middle finger to them by voting for Mccain.

Europe will be spineless regardless who wins this election

---

Voting for him would make all our foreign policy issues 10 times harder to resolve. I am not saying it's fair but that's what happens when a president from your party fukcs up our relationship with the world. Now everybody overseas thinks republicans are evil or something.

stop, you're about to make me cry
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »

They might 'flip out' a little bit, but don't get too excited - Pierre and Hanz are not going to storm your rustic cabin-home. 

They'll just roll their eyes at the stupidity of it all and go back to living better than we do.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 01:13:46 PM »

Oh yeah because being hated in the world is working out just great for us. Roll Eyes

we are not of this world Wink

---

Man you republicans have no idea what kind of world we are about to live in.

oh, I have a pretty good hunch it's going to involve a WMD war between Israel/Syria/Iran

---

This is a new globalized world and it wouldn't be a good idea to throw up a giant middle finger to them by voting for Mccain.

Europe will be spineless regardless who wins this election

---

Voting for him would make all our foreign policy issues 10 times harder to resolve. I am not saying it's fair but that's what happens when a president from your party fukcs up our relationship with the world. Now everybody overseas thinks republicans are evil or something.

stop, you're about to make me cry

All I am saying is that isolationism ain't gonna work. We need to trade with the world, goods and ideas. We can't just be the bullies and decide who we are going to bomb when we feel like it. If we can't at least get world opinion on our side, we are probably doing the wrong thing. Believe it or not most people in this world are hardworking, decent people. When we were attacked on 9/11 they stood up and supported us. They supported us when we went into Afghanistan to take out the real culprits, but we squandered that support and trust by invading an innocent nation.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »

I think jmfcst is having fantasies about potting away at swarthy marauders with his 'shootin iron' from his sweaty Houston cabin-house.

Now that's funny.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 01:53:08 PM »

How would the following react...

Europe?

African Americans?

MSM?

MSNBC?

Europe -- split reaction.  I was surprised when I was in Italy this summer how quickly discussions of Obama's candidacy was reduced to race.  The hand-holders will be pissed.

Middle East -- meh.

Israel -- meh.

Iran -- "ooh, goodie, a play toy."

China -- "xie xie."

Urban blacks -- pissed.  One more reason to hate the man, beat their baby mama, and not work.

Most of the rest of black America -- disappointed, but "expected it".

Kanye West -- flies spaceship into the Space Station Mir, blaming Russia and killing the most irrelevant white people he can find.

MSM -- depends on the circumstances.  Probably will start beating the drum for the 2012 rematch.

MSNBC -- violent implosion, black hole forms in their studio, consuming all.  Then back to work in the same partisan fashion.

CNN -- back to their usual unbiased non-political reporting.

KKK -- retires because they cannot outdo that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 01:54:13 PM »

Europe -- split reaction.  I was surprised when I was in Italy this summer how quickly discussions of Obama's candidacy was reduced to race.  The hand-holders will be pissed.

Yet, at the same time, their polls show Obama absolutely destroying McCain.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 01:56:30 PM »

Europe?  Damned Americans, they elected a cowboy again.  

African Americans?  Damned crackers, I guess Obama really is black.

MSNBC?

Olbermann:  Debolt stole Ohio for the Republicans.

Mathews:  Well, it least it is McCain.

Smiley

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 01:59:04 PM »

But when the topic turns to race do they talk about him being black as a bad thing? I think many in Europe and the world still think we are a very racist nation. It may be true in part but overall I think we are pretty tolerant, and more so than the "enlightened" europeans.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »

Yep, but I think they equate McCain with Bush more than most Americans do.  I doubt anyone will see a black leader in a western European country any time soon.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 02:01:52 PM »

But when the topic turns to race do they talk about him being black as a bad thing? I think many in Europe and the world still think we are a very racist nation. It may be true in part but overall I think we are pretty tolerant, and more so than the "enlightened" europeans.

Haha...believe me, I know. The Italians (like many Europeans actually) are in no place to lecture anyone on racial views.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies