The "Halloween" Horror Series
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:31:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The "Halloween" Horror Series
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The "Halloween" Horror Series  (Read 4200 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2008, 09:38:52 PM »
« edited: October 12, 2008, 09:41:19 PM by McCainforPrez »

The best horror movie series, IMO, is the "Halloween" series. The plot is simple. I'd recommend watching all films on YouTube if you haven't seen them.

SPOILERS

HALLOWEEN (1978)Sad

October 31, 1963...Michael Myers...a six year old boy...brutally killed his promiscuous 17 year old sister, Judith. His doctor, Dr. Sam Loomis (DONALD PLEASANCE) tried to reach the hopeless child until 1971, then spent the rest of the time trying to keep him locked up...because what he saw behind the boy's eyes was "purely and simply, evil."

Halloween 1978, Michael Myers escapes and hunts down his adopted sister Laurie Strode (JAMIE LEE CURTIS) and her teenage friends.

HALLOWEEN II (1981)Sad

This one picks up on Halloween night 1978 as Michael Myers follows his sister to the hospital.

NOTE: HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982) had nothing to do with Michael Myers.

HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS (1988)Sad

10 years after nearly burning alive...Michael Myers awakes from a coma and goes after his neice (JAMIE LEE CURTIS' Daughter) and turns Halloween night 1988 into a bloodbath for Haddonfield, Illinois. Dr. Loomis returns as he tries to stop Michael's reign of terror

HALLOWEEN 5: THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS (1989)Sad

One year after the events of Halloween 4, Michael Myers continues his hunt for his young neice on Halloween night 1989, and Dr. Loomis continues his search.

HALLOWEEN 6: THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS (1995)Sad

Halloween has been banned in Haddonfield, Illinois following the events in 1989, and Michael Myers...who has been living under the protection of druids...comes back to kill on Halloween night 1995. This is Donald Pleasance' last film.

HALLOWEEN: H20 (1998)Sad

Jamie Lee Curtis returns as Laurie Strode, living under the assumed name Keri Tate, the head of an upwardly California college. Her 17 year old son John (JOSH HARTNETT) and Laurie herself come under attack as Michael Myers comes to hunt her down.

The basic timeline is that Laurie Strode (JAMIE LEE CURTIS) faked her death in 1987 to protect her young daughter Jamie. Then she, and her son John moved to California. The events of Halloweens 4, 5, and 6 are not specifically mentioned in Halloween H20...but they can be linked.

In my opinion, the first two (Halloween Night 1978) and Halloween 4 (Halloween night 1988) are the best. After that, the series slides...although Jamie Lee Curtis kicks ass in H20 (1998).

What they should have done for Halloween 5 (1989) was instead of having it a year later...just pick it up and continue Halloween Night 1988 from Halloween 4, as they did in Halloween II.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 10:54:52 PM »

It's overrated. I watched the 1st one and was thoroughly unimpressed.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »

It's creepy as hell. I saw them. It wasn't so much scary as the mask of the guy gave me the creeps.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 11:22:11 PM »

The first one is the only one people should bother watching.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 11:30:46 PM »

I say Halloween, Halloween II and Halloween 4. The plots are pretty consistant. My least favorite was Halloween: Resurrection from 2002. I can't believe I saw that in theaters. I remember leaving and people were just like, "that was crap!"

The way I see it:

Halloween, Halloween II which take place Halloween night 1978.
Halloween 4 which takes place Halloween night 1988.
and Halloween 5 is watchable which takes place Halloween night 1989.

As I stated...I don't know what you think Duke...but Halloween 5 should have started right off continuing Halloween night 1988 after little Jamie commits her crime. Then it could have taken place at the hospital just like Halloween II continued there.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 11:33:34 PM »

Halloween III = lol
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 03:10:13 AM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »

The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 10:33:48 PM »

My family lives on the lake where the original was shot.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 05:20:28 PM »

I love the series...watched them all.  But I do wish I could get my 50 cent rental back and the 90 minutes I spent on III -- which, as Naso pointed out, had nothing to do with anything.

Is it my favorite horror series?  Mmmm...I can't think of one I enjoyed more (as a series).  I liked Hostel and Saw and Psycho, but their successor-movies were much less satisfying.  Hated all the Friday movies.  Freddy...meh...he was a "man of his times" I guess.

Zombies pretty much rock.  So NOTLD and it's follow-ons should be on the top of my list.  But they made a couple of them in the 80's that were more horror-comedies.  No thanks.  Give me Romero, not his wannabe admirers. 

But I do LOVE a good scare...be it supernatural, slasher, aliens or whatever.  Hell, Alien and Aliens could qualify as horror, I think.  Damn scary enough the first time.

I'll never forget my first horror movie.  It was Halloween Night, 1973 and it was on Network TV.  Called "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" with Kim Darby.  I didn't sleep for a week.  And it was a damn TV movie!  But I was seven for cryin' out loud.  Still, I finally found a copy of it last year on DVD and watched it.  Yep.  Still scary.  Even if the creatures are a bit silly looking by today's special effects standards...

Most underrated scarefest of all time?  Well, I would name two.

One is all psychology and there is not a bit of blood, gore or the supernatural.  It's called Gaslight with Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer.  It's just intense and if you put yourself in her shoes, in the time in which the film is set, you should be good and scared.  Wonderful use of light and shadow.

The other -- which is almost never mentioned -- is The Serpent and the Rainbow.  What's more horrifying?  Zombification and voodoo?  Or man's inhumanity to man?  Great, great film.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »

I love the series...watched them all.  But I do wish I could get my 50 cent rental back and the 90 minutes I spent on III -- which, as Naso pointed out, had nothing to do with anything.

Is it my favorite horror series?  Mmmm...I can't think of one I enjoyed more (as a series).  I liked Hostel and Saw and Psycho, but their successor-movies were much less satisfying.  Hated all the Friday movies.  Freddy...meh...he was a "man of his times" I guess.

Zombies pretty much rock.  So NOTLD and it's follow-ons should be on the top of my list.  But they made a couple of them in the 80's that were more horror-comedies.  No thanks.  Give me Romero, not his wannabe admirers. 

But I do LOVE a good scare...be it supernatural, slasher, aliens or whatever.  Hell, Alien and Aliens could qualify as horror, I think.  Damn scary enough the first time.

I'll never forget my first horror movie.  It was Halloween Night, 1973 and it was on Network TV.  Called "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" with Kim Darby.  I didn't sleep for a week.  And it was a damn TV movie!  But I was seven for cryin' out loud.  Still, I finally found a copy of it last year on DVD and watched it.  Yep.  Still scary.  Even if the creatures are a bit silly looking by today's special effects standards...

Most underrated scarefest of all time?  Well, I would name two.

One is all psychology and there is not a bit of blood, gore or the supernatural.  It's called Gaslight with Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer.  It's just intense and if you put yourself in her shoes, in the time in which the film is set, you should be good and scared.  Wonderful use of light and shadow.

The other -- which is almost never mentioned -- is The Serpent and the Rainbow.  What's more horrifying?  Zombification and voodoo?  Or man's inhumanity to man?  Great, great film.

I love the pop culture in all of them. The cheesy 80s slang and music...hair and breasts on the cop's slutty daughters.

I remember, my favorite birthday...my 12th back in October 2000...I got the original Nintendo with Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th games...and then my friend and I would watch the "Halloween" films and go to Haunted Houses.

October is one of my favorite months.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 07:01:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3kLI2oyd6I

I was waiting for a place to post this. This is pure Halloween brilliance!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 02:50:15 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2008, 02:56:24 AM by McCainforPrez »

Remember little "Lindsay Wallace" who was run out of the house by Michael Myers in October 1978?

Check her out now:
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »

My family lives on the lake where the original was shot.

What lake?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »

Is it one of the BEAUTIFUL LAKES pushed by Naso when he was running for every office in Atlasia?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 03:23:02 PM »

Remember little "Lindsay Wallace" who was run out of the house by Michael Myers in October 1978?

Check her out now:

Naso...

You are now officially my hero.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 06:52:10 PM »

See, I still don't understand how Naso can be attracted to 40-50 year old women. He's, what, 19, for God's sake?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 06:54:32 PM »

See, I still don't understand how Naso can be attracted to 40-50 year old women. He's, what, 19, for God's sake?

20 years old.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »

He's got a refined taste. Smiley

The first two Halloween's are the only ones worth it. III didn't even feature Michael Myers, absolutely no continuity.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 05:41:32 AM »

I watch the "Halloween" series every October. YouTube has them all...and this week I've watched Halloween, Halloween II and I just finished Halloween IV.

For those who have seen the film and it's sequels...including JSojourner...wouldn't you agree that the brilliant move to have Halloween II take place the same night as Halloween should have been implimented for Halloween 5?

Halloween 4 is a good sequel. It's simple. It's been 10 years since the events of Halloween 1978...and Michael returns going after his young niece. However...Halloween 5 takes place a year later in 1989 and begins to incorporate the dumb "curse of thorn" and "druids" plotline.

Don't you think that Halloween 5 should have picked up right at the end of Halloween 4 with little Jamie being taken to the hospital and Michael continuing his Halloween 1988 rampage there? I think that would have been much better than having him return in '89.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 11:28:27 PM »

Here's the way I think the movie series should have gone...

I say keep Halloween, Halloween II and Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers the same...but change Halloween V and strike Halloween VI from the list.

Halloween: (1978)
The original as is

Halloween II: (1978)
The original as is

Halloween IV: (1988)
The original as is

Halloween V: (1989)
Picking up again Halloween Night 1988...shooting him and blowing him out of a mineshaft, Michael Myers drifts down a river to a hermits home, where he kills the hermit. Jamie is taken to Haddonfield Memorial Clinic (as her mother was 10 years before), and Michael continues his Halloween Night '88 killing spree.

Halloween: H20 (1998)
It has been 10 years since Michael Myers was locked away by State Police in Haddonfield, and Laurie Strode (living under an assumed name in California) has reunited with her estranged daughter Jamie. Michael escapes a few days before Halloween, and hunts Laurie and Jamie down.

Anyways...good fan fiction...
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 05:30:38 AM »

Bump for Halloween.

BTW I thought I posted this like...a year ago. It was 3 years ago. Jeez...
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »

Will you be wearing your Michael Myers mask on your webcam any time soon?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »

I agree that the series is good but the fact that Halloween 3 is hated on so much boggles my mind. You all use the traditional "Michael Myers is not in this bs" but if you actually watch the film with an open mind it is quite good.  Carpenter was trying to do an anthology series that could have been great, but Universal did not promote will and the film bombed. It's a shame because not only is a good suspenseful horror film, it is a great satire of the American consumer industry.

Who knows what could have happened if the idea continued? Part 4 was originally supposed to have Myers as a ghost haunting Haddonfield, that would have been a more thinking man's horror film than the real part 4 was.

Sure it's a little cheesy but it is one of my all time favorite horror films, give it a chance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies