Anyone else get the feeling McCain regrets going down this road?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:49:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Anyone else get the feeling McCain regrets going down this road?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Anyone else get the feeling McCain regrets going down this road?  (Read 2728 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2008, 07:13:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf6YKOkfFsE

I get the feeling by this video that McCain is wishing he didn't go down this road....

I admire the way he yanked the mic out of the goofball's hand who called Obama a Muslim.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:16:25 PM »

THIS JUST IN: JOHN MCCAIN: ARABS ARE NOT DECENT, FAMILY MEN, OR CITIZENS.

But seriously, this is rather nice to see of McCain, especially considering how he has been the last few weeks.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:17:07 PM »

I can't help but think the Secret Service might have told the McCain campaign to tamp down the rhetoric a bit before somebody got the wrong idea.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 07:18:03 PM »

McCain probably doesn't like the beast that he created.  

I give him props for taking away that lady's microphone.  

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 07:19:39 PM »

I can't help but think the Secret Service might have told the McCain campaign to tamp down the rhetoric a bit before somebody got the wrong idea.

It's quite possible... some of these people literally think he is a radical Muslim plant/mole, a terrorist, etc...

Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 07:20:55 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2008, 07:24:13 PM by Politico »

If McCain wants everybody to be respectful, some people think he ought to start by looking in the mirror and reevaluating what he says on the campaign trail and what he approves to be aired on TV and the Internet.

If something happens to Obama, Biden will be the first nominee in history to win all 50 states.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 07:22:46 PM »

Or a set up so that he isn't the one attacking.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 07:24:20 PM »

That was a nice moment from McCain.  DIdn't expect it, but that woman really deserved to be shut down like he did to her.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 07:27:08 PM »

Do you think Obama is sorry he told his supporters "I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors. I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face"?  Do you think he wished he didn't go down that road?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:27:55 PM »

I doubt... something tells me he doesn't want to go down this road, but there's 2 seconds left on the clock and this is all they have left...

specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 07:28:18 PM »

I think he has a good reason to fear a "trap" may be laid for him, such as the lady getting up and saying "he's arab..." his response has to be careful.

Personally, I don't know McCain. I will say that my interpretation is that he'd prefer the high road, but the low one may be his only chance now.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 07:30:13 PM »

I think he has a good reason to fear a "trap" may be laid for him, such as the lady getting up and saying "he's arab..." his response has to be careful.

Personally, I don't know McCain. I will say that my interpretation is that he'd prefer the high road, but the low one may be his only chance now.

Telling the truth about your opponent's past is not the low road.  Negative advertising works - as long as it's true.  That's why politicians of all stripes use it.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 07:30:28 PM »

I think McCain has more class than you
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 07:36:02 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2008, 07:47:10 PM by Politico »

Telling the truth about your opponent's past is not the low road.  Negative advertising works - as long as it's true.  That's why politicians of all stripes use it.

Bill Ayers has never been found guilty of committing an act of terrorism. Even if he did commit such an act, the fact remains that he would have done so when Obama was a CHILD almost FOUR DECADES AGO. That was long before Obama ended up coincidentally living in the same neighborhood in Chicago as Ayers. Finally, I would like to remind you that Chicago is a city of millions of people and therefore a city with its fair share of individuals of questionable character with a dark past. Just because Obama lives nearby somebody like that does not mean that Obama himself has a questionable character with a dark past of terrorism.

Trying to essentially tie Obama to the word terrorist, and all the emotions it entails and urban myths it creates (i.e., Obama is an arab, Obama is a terrorist's best friend, etc.), is a despicable tactic and you know damn well what the Republicans are trying to do here with low-information, low-intelligence voters throughout the country.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 07:40:48 PM »

I agree.

The secret service gave the McCain camp a phone call.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 07:45:29 PM »

I'm sure John McCain isn't a horrible person. But he does have horrible policies.
ps79
Rookie
Netherlands
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 07:49:49 PM »

It's getting surreal now.  First he's going negative causing hatred among his supporters, the next minute he's trying to extinguish the fire. Guess it comes with running a bad campaign. One McCain himself doesn't really like to run. So I do feel he regrets going down this road and I'm starting to feel sorry for him, also cause he has to deal with people like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Xi8JnfAHI

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »

I almost feel like McCain doesn't want people like that to be his core supporters... I know I wouldn't.

I'd rather lose an election than have garbage like that supporting me.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 08:34:43 PM »

I think McCain made a bit of a deal with the devil when he brought in some of the Bush team who savaged him in SC in 2000. He saw that these guys got things done and perhaps thought that this is his last chance. But I genuinely believe that he is not comfortable with all of this, certainly not in the same way as Palin. Just watch him take the mic away from the woman who called obama an Arab...he looked pissed.

SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 07:58:14 AM »

If McCain wants everybody to be respectful, some people think he ought to start by looking in the mirror and reevaluating what he says on the campaign trail and what he approves to be aired on TV and the Internet.

If something happens to Obama, Biden will be the first nominee in history to win all 50 states.
Alabama would still vote for McCain...

Anyway,I agree about the Secret Service theory.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 08:04:07 AM »

I doubt the Secret Service theory.  The Secret Service better not be telling political candidates what they can say on the campaign trail.  It's not the Stasi - yet.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 08:11:07 AM »

Do you think Obama is sorry he told his supporters "I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors. I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face"?  Do you think he wished he didn't go down that road?

That pertains to the issues; the economy at al. Doesn't even come close to the smear-peddling and race-baiting path McCain (he's been running with Ayers) and Saintly Sarah (who has invoked Jeremiah Wright) have gone down

On the stump, whenever Obama invokes John McCain's heroism it is met with nothing but utmost respect and appreciation. Were I advising the Obama campaign, I'll be urging as much respect he can pay McCain as possible for it to be it with met applause from the audience. Lets see who is the bigger man Smiley, the more civil, the more dignified. That is what's coming across from the debates

Hell, I felt for McCain when he urged a rally to pay Obama more deference and he was met with boo's along with some daft ol' girl calling Obama "an Arab", whom, credit where credit is due, he corrected

As for McCain regretting going down this road, he will - if it backfires

Back in January, I had a reasonably positive opinion of McCain, essentially because he has a compelling story of heroism and patriotism, which was sufficient enough to endorse him for the GOP nomination from the then slew of candidates. I, genuinely, thought he'd run an honorable campaign (having been felled by smears in 2000). It's one of the few stances I've taken, I now regret

Dave
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 08:15:43 AM »

I doubt the Secret Service theory.  The Secret Service better not be telling political candidates what they can say on the campaign trail.  It's not the Stasi - yet.
If what McCain says is dangerous to Obama's person,then the Secret Service better tell him what he can and cannot say.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 08:17:50 AM »

If what McCain says is dangerous to Obama's person,then the Secret Service better tell him what he can and cannot say.

The Secret Service has NO BUSINESS telling any American what they can or can't say, short of DIRECTLY threatening someone's life AND taking affirmative steps to carry out that threat.

We still have the First Amendment in this country - for now.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 08:53:27 AM »

"Attack ads' are fine as lnog as they are true.

What is not fine are the baseless and retarded attacks: Muslim, Arab, etc...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies