You know what will suck on Election night?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:44:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  You know what will suck on Election night?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: You know what will suck on Election night?  (Read 3349 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2008, 12:15:56 PM »

Watching the major networks and instantly getting unnecessarily excited or thrown into a panic.

Why will this happen? The color scheme.

I can just see it now...Virginia is blue on ABC News and I start to celebrate, only to remember ten seconds later that that means Obama won the state.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:19:54 PM »

Dave Liep's color scheme is correct, and I it bothers me to no end that whenever my friends see me on this site, they say, "oh no that's wrong, Democrats are blue and Republicans are red" UGH!!!

Hopefully, after this election, the terms "red state" and "blue state" will die well-deserved deaths, but I'm not optimistic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 12:21:54 PM »

Dave Liep's color scheme is correct, and I it bothers me to no end that whenever my friends see me on this site, they say, "oh no that's wrong, Democrats are blue and Republicans are red" UGH!!!

You're telling me.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:26:26 PM »

2006 was a crazy Election Night. I was at the Paul Hodes victory party and I remember going crazy waiting for the Senate results in MO, MT, and VA. All three of those seats were so damn close and we didn't get final results until after midnight.

I'm sure 2008 will have some nerve-wracking moments as well, especially in the Senate races.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »

Watching the major networks and instantly getting unnecessarily excited or thrown into a panic.

Why will this happen? The color scheme.

I can just see it now...Virginia is blue on ABC News and I start to celebrate, only to remember ten seconds later that that means Obama won the state.

Or when I see South Carolina go red Tongue
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 12:27:33 PM »

Imagine NC (15), VA (13), OH (20), and WV (5) going Obama.

How are you feeling?

Then imagine NJ (15), MI (17), and PA (21) going McCain.

Now, how are you feeling?
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »

Pennsylvania being called for Obama as soon as the polls close.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 12:34:57 PM »

West Virginia being called for Obama two hours after polls close.l
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 12:57:13 PM »

West Virginia being called for Obama two hours after polls close.l

Thanks, trolls.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 01:34:15 PM »

Georgia being a very very late call untill midnight = Obama winning it by 0.5% ?
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 02:06:16 PM »

We should start a thread in a couple weeks (when the likelihood of a game changing event has all but passed) where we predict the call-times of the various states. I'd be interested to see what people's impressions are.

On a related note, one thing that I'm going to dislike about this election night is the fact that it's probably going to be over rather quickly. I don't mean this as trying to rub salt in the wounds of McCain supporters, but just as a comment about the entertainment I derive from a long vote-counting process. Having to wait hours to hear states called builds up the anticipation and makes the evening more fun. If Obama's numbers today hold until the 4th, most states will probably be called within a few minutes, and the declaration of the winner will be too early. There's no anticipation in that; no fun to be had. Though I suppose winning is a nice consolation prize.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »

I just really hope TN isn't 20 points more R than the national vote. That would really suck!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 02:28:49 PM »

No, what will suck is that I have to go to bed while the returns are still coming in.  *laughs*
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 02:31:43 PM »

Having a stomachache the entire night.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 02:37:57 PM »

...watching McCain/Palin crashing and burning right before my very eyes in a landslide defeat in which Obama gets 380+ and the Dems get 58-60 seats.

That said, if states like Virginia and Pennsylvania are called for Obama right after the polls close, I'll go to bed early.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 03:11:48 PM »

I think you better be very careful.  Projections may be off in this one.  I'm looking at raw data, though I will have black turnout by 3:00 PM.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »

My father thinks McCain will win and keeps telling me, "You were concerned about Bush losing 4 years ago..."

He doesn't understand. The American People are taking the economic crisis and saying, "Yeah...we have a Democratic do-nothing Congress and yes Obama has only been a Senator for a few hundred weeks...but he sounds good in the debate, so let's make him in charge and let's put even more Democrats in Congress."

Obama: 380
McCain: 158

It will be hard to stand.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »

Imagine NC (15), VA (13), OH (20), and WV (5) going Obama.

How are you feeling?

Then imagine NJ (15), MI (17), and PA (21) going McCain.

Now, how are you feeling?
After the second part,I would wake up...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »

My father thinks McCain will win and keeps telling me, "You were concerned about Bush losing 4 years ago..."

He doesn't understand. The American People are taking the economic crisis and saying, "Yeah...we have a Democratic do-nothing Congress and yes Obama has only been a Senator for a few hundred weeks...but he sounds good in the debate, so let's make him in charge and let's put even more Democrats in Congress."

"After you the deluge."  

I think McCain pulls it out, but I don't have strong hopes for Republican success after that.  If Obama wins, 2012 will make 1980 look like a Democratic landslide.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 03:54:42 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2008, 03:59:12 PM by opebo »

"After you the deluge."  

I think McCain pulls it out, but I don't have strong hopes for Republican success after that.  If Obama wins, 2012 will make 1980 look like a Democratic landslide.

It is you two who don't understand, Naso.  People are voting ideologically, because although they cannot think, or understand ideology, they have a sense in their bones, when they're scared, as they are now, that they need the State, and only the State can save them.  Thus their votes this election are not for Obama but for American Liberalism, and opposed to the rightwing.

As for J.J.'s wild prediction about 2012 - you think Obama is Hoover?  I think, rather that Bush/McCain is Hoover and Obama is Roosevelt, but we'll see.

Oh but btw, your map is about right if a little positive, Naso.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »

2006 was a crazy Election Night. I was at the Paul Hodes victory party and I remember going crazy waiting for the Senate results in MO, MT, and VA. All three of those seats were so damn close and we didn't get final results until after midnight.

I'm sure 2008 will have some nerve-wracking moments as well, especially in the Senate races.
I freaked out when they announced that Jon Tester won in Montana. Everyone woke up and thought there was a robber in the house.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »

That I'll miss the entire election night, seeing only the end result.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 06:02:22 PM »

The election might be called early if its a landlslide something like 6pm  east coast time.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »

Oh well we had to sit back watching that dunder-head take victories away from smarter, more capable candidates.

Why? Because people would rather vote for someone they'd have a beer with over someone who has talent.

.... I hope some people realise that they've been conned - especially those people who've had the flag, gay marriage and abortion waved before them like a steak in front of a dog.... but elected those people who were helping companies  shift their jobs away and gutting their protections from predatory financial practices.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »

No, what will suck is that I have to go to bed while the returns are still coming in.  *laughs*

eh... elections... who needs 'em when you have Murder She Wrote and Wheel of Fortune? Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies