McCain campaign leaks: Big news tomorrow! Edit: It's a 100-second Ayers ad :(
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:41:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain campaign leaks: Big news tomorrow! Edit: It's a 100-second Ayers ad :(
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: What will it be?
Obama-Oprah sex tape

Obama punching a puppy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: McCain campaign leaks: Big news tomorrow! Edit: It's a 100-second Ayers ad :(  (Read 10932 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 12:31:14 AM »

It'll be a new way to shake up the race, whatever that means at this point. He clearly needs another moment where he changes the dynamics of the race. He has to do this because sitting idle by will just ensure a big defeat in November. Who the hell knows what's up his sleeve now.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 12:32:40 AM »

On a side note, Politico has been absolutely money all election season. Easily the best news source of this election, and it hasn't even been close. They've gotten every big scoop there is.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 12:32:55 AM »

why do I get the feeling I'm going to be disappointed?

You don't think he's going to dump Palin from the ticket, do you?  I would tell you that's NOT going to happen.  But given your prediction track record?  Well...let's just say I won't be arguing with you!  LOL

Seriously -- I suspect it will be an economic plan.  Or maybe he'll say, "I shall go to Afghanistan."
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 12:33:30 AM »

Because it's coming from the McCain campaign.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 12:35:27 AM »

Remember how, during the primaries, Obama would often promise "big" news the next day and it would just be some nobody endorsement?  Only notable one was Edwards when he did this.

Hopefully McCain challenges Obama to a duel... or withdraws from the race in order to unite the country Wink
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 12:37:12 AM »

Dumping Palin actually would give him a boost among independents depending on who replaced her, though it'd also doom her since every single fundie in America would stay home on November 4.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 12:37:36 AM »

You don't think he's going to dump Palin from the ticket, do you?  I would tell you that's NOT going to happen.  But given your prediction track record?  Well...let's just say I won't be arguing with you!  LOL

Seriously -- I suspect it will be an economic plan.  Or maybe he'll say, "I shall go to Afghanistan."

I don't know why they'd hype an economic plan. The public has already decided that Obama will better handle the economy, so I don't know why they'd think they could change their minds with some economic plan. I remember when Rudy Giuliani announced his 12 point plan for America's economy. No one cared. It will be something else most likely, like breaking a scandal on Obama or something none of us can think of. Dropping Palin from the ticket would probably tick off the base and he'd lose even worse than he is right now. The right wing of the party really has fallen in love with this woman. If he dropped her for Romney because Romney is a guy who could save the US economy, the base would probably get mad. But he might do it. It would make sense and actually make me feel a bit more comfortable because right now, I don't think Obama, Biden, McCain or Palin have a clue on how to fix this crisis.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 12:38:28 AM »

I doubt the McCain campaign is harassing Jonathan Martin just before midnight to pre-announce awful news, which no one is going to be see the announcement of anyway.

Maybe there will be actual, real campaign drama for the first time in weeks!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 12:38:38 AM »

It is one of four things.
1 a new attack on Obama
2 a new proposal or plan (possibly re-worked version of mortgage plan)
3. a change in campaign strategy (add a state, subtract a state)
4. a challenge to Obama to change the third debate or add more debates

But I would think that they would not want to be the ones announcing an attack. It is far better to leak that to a friendly media outlet for them to then be 'outraged' by later as in "did you read what it says in the xxxx Times about Obama and xxxxx"  

I bet it is number 2.....some bold new plan to save the economy.

I'm going with number 2, too.  It might be some sort of tax cut plan designed to help the economy.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 12:38:48 AM »

Remember how, during the primaries, Obama would often promise "big" news the next day and it would just be some nobody endorsement?  Only notable one was Edwards when he did this.

Hopefully McCain challenges Obama to a duel... or withdraws from the race in order to unite the country Wink

an endorsement...that is a good call. It could be that.

Right now the only endorsements that would be worth anything would be Colin Powell or some popular Democrat or maybe some Celebrity. Anything to win a news cycle.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 12:39:54 AM »

One thing I do know is that dumping Palin would guarantee a repeat of 1964.
Rococo4

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 12:40:25 AM »

major endorsement of some sort
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 12:41:19 AM »

I don't know why they'd hype an economic plan. The public has already decided that Obama will better handle the economy, so I don't know why they'd think they could change their minds with some economic plan. I remember when Rudy Giuliani announced his 12 point plan for America's economy. No one cared. It will be something else most likely, like breaking a scandal on Obama or something none of us can think of.

That was in 2007.  The economy wasn't as big an issue then as it is today.

But as someone else said, a major endorsement makes sense, too.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »

"We need to talk" doesn't sound like a line for an endorsement, unless that's what the endorser will say. Colin Powell is really the only big name out there that I can think of that would warrant such hype. I just can't see this being some announcement on an economic plan.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 12:47:24 AM »

It is one of four things.
1 a new attack on Obama
2 a new proposal or plan (possibly re-worked version of mortgage plan)
3. a change in campaign strategy (add a state, subtract a state)
4. a challenge to Obama to change the third debate or add more debates

But I would think that they would not want to be the ones announcing an attack. It is far better to leak that to a friendly media outlet for them to then be 'outraged' by later as in "did you read what it says in the xxxx Times about Obama and xxxxx"  

I bet it is number 2.....some bold new plan to save the economy.

I'm going with number 2, too.  It might be some sort of tax cut plan designed to help the economy.

I'm guessing it's option 1, probably involving the ACORN/New Party thing. That's what my gut is telling me, but my gut has been wrong several times this election cycle.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 12:53:14 AM »

McCain is scheduled to hold a town hall meeting in Waukesha, WI (near Milwaukee) with Governor Palin at 9:30AM tomorrow.  They then go their separate ways:  McCain to a rally in Mosinee, WI (near Wausau), and Palin to a rally in Wilmington, OH (SW Ohio, near Cincinnati and Dayton).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 12:56:43 AM »

I love it when the "Dump Palin"  conspiracies hit the forum. Does anyone really think there is any chance of that happening? Everyone in politics knows that that would doom the campaign.

Anyway, please let it be the "Whitey tape." Please?  Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 01:03:06 AM »

I love it when the "Dump Palin"  conspiracies hit the forum. Does anyone really think there is any chance of that happening? Everyone in politics knows that that would doom the campaign.

That would be great, but as much as Rush claims it exists, I doubt it does, though knowing what I know about Michelle Obama, I have no doubt it could be real. If it's an endorsement, it must be Colin Powell.
Rococo4

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 01:05:25 AM »

That would be great, but as much as Rush claims it exists, I doubt it does, though knowing what I know about Michelle Obama, I have no doubt it could be real. If it's an endorsement, it must be Colin Powell.

Powell would seem like the likliest endorsement annoucement, which means that probably isnt it
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 01:16:48 AM »

Hillary endorsing McCain? Now THAT would be a game-changer, but it's not going to happen.

Honestly, I have no clue.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 01:21:59 AM »

He could resign from the Senate.

Surprised he hasn't already, actually, unless for some reason he really wants to go back if he should lose.

He's already emulating Bob Dole in several other respects (age, war veteran, number of electoral votes, etc.), might as well go the full monty.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2008, 01:23:42 AM »

There are only two things I'd wake Jonathan Martin up for at midnight like this.

-Colin Powell endorsement
-ACORN voter fraud proof
-Rezko rolls over on Barry

Nothing else I can think of that McCain could say tommorrow that changes the race.

If its a one-term pledge, he's finished.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2008, 01:24:42 AM »

Resigning would be also be a horrible move. What the hell does that do at this point? If he wanted to do it earlier, fine, it would make sense then. Now it would just seem so...weird. I don't even want to call it desperation because a move made in desperation is an attempt at saving or gaining something. This doesn't save or gain anything at all.

If people here "McCain resigned," this thing is done.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 01:25:28 AM »

There are only two things I'd wake Jonathan Martin up for at midnight like this.

-Colin Powell endorsement
-ACORN voter fraud proof
-Rezko rolls over on Barry

Nothing else I can think of that McCain could say tommorrow that changes the race.

If its a one-term pledge, he's finished.

A Clinton endorsement would, but I don't think hell has frozen over yet.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2008, 01:26:52 AM »

I don't see how a Colin Powell endorsement of either candidate shakes up the race in any serious way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies