McCain campaign leaks: Big news tomorrow! Edit: It's a 100-second Ayers ad :(
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:09:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain campaign leaks: Big news tomorrow! Edit: It's a 100-second Ayers ad :(
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: What will it be?
Obama-Oprah sex tape

Obama punching a puppy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: McCain campaign leaks: Big news tomorrow! Edit: It's a 100-second Ayers ad :(  (Read 10935 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2008, 01:35:49 PM »

Your side is the one saying Ayers is fair game but McCain isn't a Bush clone.

Why are the two statements mutually exclusive?  Linking McCain to Bush may be fair game, but McCain isn't a Bush clone.   Just because you try to make a link doesn't mean it's successful.

Beating it to a pulp isn't going to help McCain any. The issue was brought up during the primaries and everyone moved on. Everyday the McCain campaign doesnt focus entirely on the economy and whats at stake, and continues to make a fool of themselves. They lose.

It's sad seeing the Republicans resort to desperation at a time like this. Pretty selfish id say.

We'll see about that.  So-called negative ads tend to work.  And just because an issue was brought up during the primaries doesn't mean it's off the table.  I wasn't paying attention to your primary, nor were many Independents.  Everyone hasn't moved on.  This stuff is new to people.

How many times are we going to hear Obama and McCain repeat the same things over and over again about the economy anyway?
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »

Why are the two statements mutually exclusive?  Linking McCain to Bush may be fair game, but McCain isn't a Bush clone.   Just because you try to make a link doesn't mean it's successful.

Beating it to a pulp isn't going to help McCain any. The issue was brought up during the primaries and everyone moved on. Everyday the McCain campaign doesnt focus entirely on the economy and whats at stake, and continues to make a fool of themselves. They lose.

It's sad seeing the Republicans resort to desperation at a time like this. Pretty selfish id say.

We'll see about that.  So-called negative ads tend to work.  And just because an issue was brought up during the primaries doesn't mean it's off the table.  I wasn't paying attention to your primary, nor were many Independents.  Everyone hasn't moved on.  This stuff is new to people.

How many times are we going to hear Obama and McCain repeat the same things over and over again about the economy anyway?

Because the economy is in the tank and thats what voters are worried about? Thats the real issue at hand, not a stupid smear campaign.

Slowly your little campaign slogan of "Country First" is turning into one massive load of bs. None of this is about "Country First"....its more along the lines of "lets alienate the electorate and make Obama look extremely dangerous so WE can win....First".

Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »

This is reminding me more and more of the closing days of 1992, when Bush Sr. started trying to imply that Clinton was a communist sleeper agent.   It's a desperation tactic.  I voted for Bush Sr. in '88, and had planned to vote for him in '92 - but moves like that one convinced me to change my mind.

I can see how this might be a decent tactical move for McCain, but a strategically dangerous one for the GOP - in presidential elections what counts at the end is who gets the win, the margin of victory doesn't make change the outcome for the executive branch.  However, although losing with respect or failing miserably after repeated hail Mary's doesn't change the possession of the white house, it can harm the GOP on countless downticket races.  If respectable conservatives stay home in disgust at his shenanigans, it also affects races from dogcatcher to senate.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2008, 01:53:43 PM »

Really? Most of the Republicans I know were, and with a deep sense of Schanefreude. Furthermore, Ayers and Wright have been mentioned on conservative talk radio every day since March, and Wright got wall-to-wall media coverage for almost two months. It's inconceivable that there's a large segment of swing voters who don't know who he is.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »

I think McCain is pushing more voters away then he's winning over.

He's let the old Bush people handle his campaign and they are screwing the old man over.

WAKE UP MCCAIN !!
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2008, 01:55:58 PM »

I think McCain is pushing more voters away then he's winning over.

He's let the old Bush people handle his campaign and they are screwing the old man over.

WAKE UP MCCAIN !!

McCain only has himself to blame.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2008, 06:24:25 PM by jmfcst »

why do I get the feeling I'm going to be disappointed?

You don't think he's going to dump Palin from the ticket, do you?  I would tell you that's NOT going to happen.  But given your prediction track record?  Well...let's just say I won't be arguing with you!  LOL

Seriously -- I suspect it will be an economic plan.  Or maybe he'll say, "I shall go to Afghanistan."

no, he would never dump Palin...just figured he was hyping a mole hill
daboese
Germany

« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »

Funny thing is: Ayers was Chicago's citizen of the year in 1997, and is a professor. I wonder why someone who is a terrorist never went to prison.

Whoever is getting hyped about this news: That is really pathetic.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2008, 05:02:09 PM by Politico »

Republican McCain is going to bring about change after eight years of Republican Bush, whom McCain endorsed and supported 90% of the time? Meanwhile, we should talk about things that somebody from Chicago did when Obama was eight years old and not even living in Chicago at the time?

This is what you call "Republican Logic." Let's talk about the failed Republican record of the past eight years instead of what happened when Obama was eight years old.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »

Funny thing is: Ayers was Chicago's citizen of the year in 1997, and is a professor. I wonder why someone who is a terrorist never went to prison.

Whoever is getting hyped about this news: That is really pathetic.

IIRC, the case against him was thrown out because the government had gathered some of its evidence illegally.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2008, 05:03:04 PM »

I disapprove of McCain running this ad.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2008, 05:10:51 PM »

Republican McCain is going to bring about change after eight years of Republican Bush, whom McCain endorsed and supported 90% of the time? Meanwhile, we should talk about things that somebody from Chicago did when Obama was eight years old and not even living in Chicago at the time?

This is what you call "Republican Logic." Let's talk about the failed Republican record of the past eight years instead of what happened when Obama was eight years old.

The "failed Republican record" of the past eight years includes a Democrat-controlled Congress for the past two years, which is far more unpopular than the President.  It includes a Democrat-controlled Senate for a number of years before that.  But the Congress isn't culpable.  That's what you call "Democrat Logic".

We're NOT talking about what happened when Obama was eight years old.  We're talking about what happened when Obama was 30-45 years old, associating himself with unsavory radical individuals despite their terrorist past.  We're talking about Barack Obama's CURRENT lack of candor and honesty when discussing his association with radicals.  We're talking about Barack Obama's outright REFUSAL to discuss his days at Columbia or Harvard Law School.  If Obama's community organizing past is fair game for Obama to bring up because it's supposed to make him the new Jesus Christ on Earth, what he did after that is also relevant.

We SHOULD talk about Barack Obama's past radical associations.   Ayers is but the tip of the iceberg.   Why?  Because,  as your Vice Presidential candidate said, past is prologue.  Obama has no real record to campaign on.  He's been on the national stage as U.S. Senator for 3 years, during 2 of which he's been largely absent because he's been out campaigning.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2008, 05:14:22 PM »

IIRC, the case against him was thrown out because the government had gathered some of its evidence illegally.
If he was a real terrorist, he would have gone to prison nonetheless.
Even his wife got away with probation.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »

If he was a real terrorist, he would have gone to prison nonetheless.
Even his wife got away with probation.

Not exactly.  His wife went to jail for refusing to testify in the Nyack armed robbery case.  Two police officers died in the Nyack armored car heist.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2008, 05:26:34 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2008, 05:30:33 PM by daboese »

If she would have testified, even she wouldn't have gone to jail.
It's simple as that.
A great terrorist you have there. Talk about many things, the fact that McCain has many good sides. But that is just pathetic.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »

You do not have to go to jail, in order to be a terrorist.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2008, 05:31:14 PM »

No, but if you have been a terrorist, you will get sentenced for that.
Otherwise you would say that anyone can go around and bomb buildings and get away with that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies