Republicans - If we lose...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 09:55:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Republicans - If we lose...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Republicans - If we lose...  (Read 8089 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 01:27:20 AM »

I really like Santorum, but he would be crucified.

Don't be so sure. The Dems thought that they could destroy Reagan even with their unpopular incumbent President.

I see you've learned a lot the last two years.

That things don't change?

Yeah, the GOP should have just folded up in 1974. That was basically the end for us.

Hey, here's an idea: Liddy Dole 2012?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008, 01:28:16 AM »

Don't be so sure. The Dems thought that they could destroy Reagan even with their unpopular incumbent President. A lot can change (and often does) in four years. That being said, Obama could end up becoming more popular in four years. Who knows?

I think Santorum better get back into national politics in general if he wants to be president.  In any case, I don't really think he is that interested.

I stand by the statement that he would be crucified if nominated.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 01:30:04 AM »

Don't be so sure. The Dems thought that they could destroy Reagan even with their unpopular incumbent President. A lot can change (and often does) in four years. That being said, Obama could end up becoming more popular in four years. Who knows?

I think Santorum better get back into national politics in general if he wants to be president.  In any case, I don't really think he is that interested.

He's still involved.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Based on conditions in 2008? Ok, fine. Other than that, there's nothing to really stand by.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2008, 01:38:37 AM »

Why do you think Santorum would be such a popular candidate unless the country moves right by a considerable amount?  I don't really think he is so interested, and if he was, he would express it in some way.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 01:38:45 AM »

I just don't think Palin will be anywhere near talks for this.  If you lose this year, it will largely be blamed on her. 

Was Ferrarro ever mentioned for 88?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2008, 01:42:42 AM »

Why do you think Santorum would be such a popular candidate unless the country moves right by a considerable amount?

I'm assuming Santorum would be strong as a figure who would rally the base. I'm also simply assuming, at this time, that Obama would be a bit less popular than he is now.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He's not just going to come out in the middle of a Presidential campaign and say, "Hey, I'd like this in 2012 if we lose this time."   Tongue

I just don't think Palin will be anywhere near talks for this.  If you lose this year, it will largely be blamed on her. 

Was Ferrarro ever mentioned for 88?

Ferraro didn't excite her party's base like Palin has with the GOP.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2008, 01:46:15 AM »

The only way for Republicans to win in 2012 is with a Santorum-DeWine or a Santorum-Allen ticket.  The country, plagued by public man-on-dog assault everywhere since Obama got in, will rejoice at the chance of a 2006 do-over.  DeWine lost by more, but Allen is more famous, so it is too soon to say who would be better for a do-over.  The election could be broadcast as Celebrity Do-Over 2O12, and all proceeds could go to charity.  It would do a lot to bring the country together again.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2008, 01:46:52 AM »

True, your party would never put anyone on a ticket who had been a Governor for only 2 years.

Roll Eyes

I said that it wouldn't fly especially if this ticket fails.

Right, which I acknowledged in my next sentence.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2008, 01:49:16 AM »

Sarah Palin... at the top of the ticket?  Are you guys serious?  If she weren't doing so poorly at the bottom of the ticket we might be winning this thing right now.  Maybe if she actually demonstrates some intellectual curiosity between now and then we can talk.

Our objective now needs to be to put some distance between between us and the extreme religious right.  They have once again proven to be the worst ally we can have.  What happens when a member of your group is loud, bitchy, self-indulgent and throws a tantrum unless they get their way?  You kick em overboard.  People will thank us for it.

Personally, I would like to see Gingrich, but he, of course, will be "too old" by then (69 isn't bad in this day and age, of course, but since 50 is now considered "old"). 

Romney and Huckabee are unacceptable to me. 

Jindal is very conservative for the top of the ticket. 

Santorum?  Seriously?

I really don't know who that leaves, unless someone emerges who isn't in alot of people's minds at the moment... and that is always a possibility... but realistically, this is th Republican Party so that's not as common for us.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 01:50:57 AM »

True, your party would never put anyone on a ticket who had been a Governor for only 2 years.

Roll Eyes

I said that it wouldn't fly especially if this ticket fails.

Right, which I acknowledged in my next sentence.

So it was just an unnecessary jab.

Good job, moderator!

The only way for Republicans to win in 2012 is with a Santorum-DeWine or a Santorum-Allen ticket.  The country, plagued by public man-on-dog assault everywhere since Obama got in, will rejoice at the chance of a 2006 do-over.  DeWine lost by more, but Allen is more famous, so it is too soon to say who would be better for a do-over.  The election could be broadcast as Celebrity Do-Over 2O12, and all proceeds could go to charity.  It would do a lot to bring the country together again.

Yes because past defeated candidates have never rebounded. Ever.

If Obama is unpopular and the party is looking for someone to rally around, you bet he'll be considered.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 01:51:28 AM »

Why do you think Santorum would be such a popular candidate unless the country moves right by a considerable amount?

I'm assuming Santorum would be strong as a figure who would rally the base. I'm also simply assuming, at this time, that Obama would be a bit less popular than he is now.

There isn't much of a base left to rally.  Besides, the religious right won't vote in 2012, anyway.  They will be too busy waiting for the Dec. 25th Rapture.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 01:52:31 AM »

There isn't much of a base left to rally.  Besides, the religious right won't vote in 2012, anyway.  They will be too busy waiting for the Dec. 25th Rapture.

Another group you're unhappy with? Jeeze. Time to get out of politics...
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 01:57:14 AM »

Sarah Palin... at the top of the ticket?  Are you guys serious?  If she weren't doing so poorly at the bottom of the ticket we might be winning this thing right now.  Maybe if she actually demonstrates some intellectual curiosity between now and then we can talk.

Our objective now needs to be to put some distance between between us and the extreme religious right.  They have once again proven to be the worst ally we can have.  What happens when a member of your group is loud, bitchy, self-indulgent and throws a tantrum unless they get their way?  You kick em overboard.  People will thank us for it.

Personally, I would like to see Gingrich, but he, of course, will be "too old" by then (69 isn't bad in this day and age, of course, but since 50 is now considered "old"). 

Santorum?  Seriously?

I really don't know who that leaves, unless someone emerges who isn't in alot of people's minds at the moment... and that is always a possibility... but realistically, this is th Republican Party so that's not as common for us.

You know, one month before the election is probably a better time for us as Republicans to be building up what we have than tearing down everything we could have four years into the future.  Democrats are smarter than Republicans about that.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 01:59:39 AM »

Another group?  I've been unhappy with fundamentalist Christians for a long time.  Where have you been?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 01:59:47 AM »

Santorum?  Seriously?

You know, one month before the election is probably a better time for us as Republicans to be building up what we have than tearing down everything we could have four years into the future.  Democrats are smarter than Republicans about that.

Well, I guess one area where we can agree is that Super is way too focused on gloom and doom most of the time.

I also don't understand how he can laugh off Santorum (I guess he's "too controversial") but we can go with a total blast from the past, just as controversial person like Gingrich (if he wasn't too old).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2008, 02:01:22 AM »

Another group?  I've been unhappy with fundamentalist Christians for a long time.  Where have you been?

I think there's more to the GOP base (other types of religious people, too, by the way) than just fundamentalist Christians. You know as well as I do that Santorum's reach isn't restricted to those types.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2008, 02:02:55 AM »

"After you, the deluge."

I will say that to any candidate who wins.  

In all seriousness, if Obama wins, I expect a major recession, probably 2-3 years after this one.  A Republican Congress by 2012 and a roll back of civil rights legislation.  You will see affirmative action ended by 2014, if not before (and this if from someone who thinks it's appropriate in some cases).

If this happens, look for Obama to win pretty much as a check on Republican extremism in 2012, much like Clinton in 1996. 
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2008, 02:04:41 AM »

I think there's more to the GOP base (other types of religious people, too, by the way) than just fundamentalist Christians. You know as well as I do that Santorum's reach isn't restricted to those types.

Uhh... yes, there is more to the base than that.  And why do we disregard them more and more each year in favor of jmfcst types is what I am saying.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2008, 02:05:59 AM »

Uhh... yes, there is more to the base than that.  And why do we disregard them more and more each year in favor of jmfcst types is what I am saying.

Yes, John McCain is the perfect "jmfcst type."
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2008, 02:10:27 AM »

Old McCain, no.  New McCain has been pandering to them more and more each day... Hell, his choice for VP was a huge pander.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2008, 02:11:32 AM »

Old McCain, no.  New McCain has been pandering to them more and more each day... Hell, his choice for VP was a huge pander.

I say this with all due respect to you, a friend - I don't know a time when you've ever been satisfied with what we do. You're impossible to please and it's not helping us.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2008, 02:15:15 AM »

I say this with all due respect to you, a friend - I don't know a time when you've ever been satisfied with what we do. You're impossible to please and it's not helping us.

I take that as a compliment.  I enjoy being the one who gets to poke everyone else with a stick.  I take pride in not being satisfied.  Satisfaction is what happens right before decline, which is exactly what has led us to this point today.  After 2004, we were satisfied with the base, satisfied with the Administration, satisfied with the economy and satisfied with Iraq.  Oops.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2008, 02:16:24 AM »

I take that as a compliment.  I enjoy being the one who gets to poke everyone else with a stick.  I take pride in not being satisfied.  Satisfaction is what happens right before decline, which is exactly what has led us to this point today.  After 2004, we were satisfied with the base, satisfied with the Administration, satisfied with the economy and satisfied with Iraq.  Oops.

So instead of offering any real solution, let's just bitch. Winning strategy.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2008, 02:18:42 AM »

So instead of offering any real solution, let's just bitch. Winning strategy.

Ummm... no actually, I have spent the past 4 years offering solutions, but would you believe it, no one has really listened.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2008, 02:25:45 AM »

As someone who really liked McCain, really disliked McCain, and really liked McCain again, I ask in absolute earnest:

Old McCain, New McCain, has McCain ever really seriously changed?  I liked him when he agreed with me and disliked him when he disagreed with me, but I like him more now that he appears able to make up his own mind, not always along predictable or partisan lines.  Yet the talking points are that the guy talked up for running mate to Kerry is suddenly the same as Bush.  Yawn.

McCain and Palin tell me more about other people than they do about themselves.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies