McCain just had his first vote in 6 months
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:49:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain just had his first vote in 6 months
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: McCain just had his first vote in 6 months  (Read 1916 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:28:29 PM »

He just voted against some Amtrak bill.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 07:34:20 PM »

I'm watching C-SPAN now, awaiting the bailout bill.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:27:17 PM »

HP
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 08:30:52 PM »

Seriously? What an ass. He could at least pretend to be in favor of reducing our dependence on foreign oil until the election is over.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:15:55 PM »

Seriously? What an ass. He could at least pretend to be in favor of reducing our dependence on foreign oil until the election is over.

It passed 74-24, with only the more right-wing Republicans voting nay.
Ironically, Biden was absent.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:28:29 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:48:05 PM »

The Amtrak bill was a bill to improve safety on Amtrak trains that would include equipment that could have prevented the recent Commuter train accident in California that killed several people and injured 130.

That was a pretty stupid move on McCain's part.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:49:27 PM »

The Amtrak bill was a bill to improve safety on Amtrak trains that would include equipment that could have prevented the recent Commuter train accident in California that killed several people and injured 130.

The equipment that would have prevented that accident was the drivers two eyes getting his fckn face out of a cell phone and onto the tracks.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:51:27 PM »

The equipment that would have prevented that accident was the drivers two eyes getting his fckn face out of a cell phone and onto the tracks.

Yeah, why don't you tell that to the guy.  Oh yeah.. he's dead.  Roll Eyes
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »

Well, his own stupidity caused his own death plus the death of others. Can't say as I feel much sorrow for him.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 09:59:28 PM »

Well, his own stupidity caused his own death plus the death of others. Can't say as I feel much sorrow for him.

So you think we should forego technology that can slow trains if they pass a red light or jump the tracks and instead just rely on human judgment.. because that's what you've implied.

You'd better hope the engineer doesn't faint
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 10:03:02 PM »

So you think we should forego technology that can slow trains if they pass a red light or jump the tracks and instead just rely on human judgment.. because that's what you've implied.

You'd better hope the engineer doesn't faint

That wasn't my point at all, thank you very much for trying to misrepresent my position (an epidemic around here). This accident was not a lack of technology but driver error, plain and simple.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 10:27:39 PM »

Being pissed off at a dead guy does absolutely nothing... and recognizing that, I didn't bring it up in my post.

I'm sure I could come up with a million different "shoulda, coulda, woulda" situations as well.. but they don't solve problems.

And yes, our rail system is so neglected and out of date.. it is a joke.  India has a better rail system than we do.

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »

Is John McCain soft on train derailments?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 10:49:07 PM »

And yes, our rail system is so neglected and out of date.. it is a joke.  India has a better rail system than we do.

Our rail system is a joke, you won't get any argument with me about that. The fact that both CSX and Amtrak share the same lines is not only pathetic but dangerous. Amtrak is a huge waste of government money and should have never been nationalized in the first place.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 11:06:34 PM »

Right, because you've never taken your eyes off the road, even for a moment, while driving. Any of us with just bad luck could have caused a horrible accident for which we knew our own stupidity was responsible.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 11:27:37 PM »

I don't use a cell phone or TEXT message while I drive. Sorry.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 11:30:11 PM »

I don't use a cell phone or TEXT message while I drive. Sorry.

Not relevant. Unless he thought it was likely he would somehow crash the train by sending a text, it's the same thing. People turn their eyes away from the road because they think it's unlikely anything will happen. But we all know this can cause a horrible crash with deaths. It was an accident and he didn't try to kill anyone. And he's dead. It's a sad situation.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 11:39:50 PM »

As a professional driver myself I can vouch for the fact that there's a huge difference between your own vehicle and something that endangers many individuals of the general public. If you're driving a vehicle of such a size you should be way more aware of what's going on then if you're in a 4 wheeler.
Firefly
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.83

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 12:09:15 AM »

Our rail system is a joke, you won't get any argument with me about that. The fact that both CSX and Amtrak share the same lines is not only pathetic but dangerous. Amtrak is a huge waste of government money and should have never been nationalized in the first place.

Then you believe the U.S. should not have a passenger rail system?  Because we wouldn't today if Amtrak were not government funded.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »

Then you believe the U.S. should not have a passenger rail system?  Because we wouldn't today if Amtrak were not government funded.

Geesh, putting words into my mouth is an epidemic this week. I believe the US should have a PRIVATE train system as it did before Amtrak was created. Since the creation of Amtrak in 1971 they have not showed a profit and only have been a LAG on the US Govt. And if you've ever ridden on Amtrak you'd quickly see how crappy of a system it is. The best thing to do would be for the government to subsidize RAILS and open up the market for competition similar to but less restricted then the current airline system.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 02:31:05 AM »

Geesh, putting words into my mouth is an epidemic this week. I believe the US should have a PRIVATE train system as it did before Amtrak was created. Since the creation of Amtrak in 1971 they have not showed a profit and only have been a LAG on the US Govt. And if you've ever ridden on Amtrak you'd quickly see how crappy of a system it is. The best thing to do would be for the government to subsidize RAILS and open up the market for competition similar to but less restricted then the current airline system.

Wouldn't the fair thing be to privatize the road system, too?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 08:18:21 AM »

Just gave Biden the middle finger lol
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 12:36:31 PM »

Wouldn't the fair thing be to privatize the road system, too?

I never said to privatize either the rails or the road system. I believe the RAILS are an extension of the roads and therefore fall under the Constitution.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »

In the period between April 8th and October 1st, in which McCain missed 100% of the Senate votes, Obama missed 85% of them.  Not a particularly impressive improvement.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies