Honest Question for Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:40:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Honest Question for Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Honest Question for Democrats  (Read 3034 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2004, 07:57:16 PM »
« edited: September 13, 2004, 11:48:23 AM by Philip »

Why MUST everything be federal?

You know, a lot of Democratic governors and state legislatures are demanding a tax increase that they could implement themselves.

What is it that Republicans want to do that would actually hurt your state in any way?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 11:44:36 PM »

You know, a lot of Democratic governors and state legislatures are demanding a tax increase that they could implement themselves.

What is it that Republicans want to do that would actually hurt your state in any way?

That's a good point Philip. The main reason for the Federal government is for the common defense. To that you can add a few other simple duties such as the Post Office, Patent Office, and Treasury. Most other things are left to the states. Then the people of each state have better control over what is going on in their state. Also people can vote with their feet i.e. if you don't like what your state is doing you can move to another. Finally
each state is like an experiment. When one state finds a successful way of doing something others can follow suit if they want to.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 11:47:49 AM »

And those functions are ways in which the states relate to each other; kind of like free trade agreements.

I'd like to get a Democratic response to this, so I'll edit the title.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 12:36:09 PM »

I'm not sure how to answer this, since I don't think everything should be federal, or even most things.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 12:49:36 PM »

As much as Republicans yabber about states' rights, it's them who's robbed the states of their rights. They robbed the right of California to prohibit big banks from charging excessive fees on their customers. They robbed the right of Oregon to allow death with dignity after it was approved by voters. They stole the right of Florida to have its own high court rule on the election. And now they want to pass a federal right-to-scab law to rob the rights of states that don't want a law like this. Oh, and I almost forgot the Federal Marriage Amendment.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 02:07:38 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 02:10:14 PM by Philip »

Florida's high court ruled. Unfortunately for them, it's the Florida legislature's right to appoint electors.

So in other words, you support the right of state judges to make BS decisions, but not the rights of state legislatures.

Marriage amendment strikes down judicial activism. And has to be ratified by the STATES, and you could get all 50 to do it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 05:05:09 PM »

Marriage amendment strikes down judicial activism. And has to be ratified by the STATES, and you could get all 50 to do it.

I doubt that seriously.  Maybe 38, but certainly not all 50.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 05:42:21 PM »

Florida's high court ruled. Unfortunately for them, it's the Florida legislature's right to appoint electors.

So in other words, you support the right of state judges to make BS decisions, but not the rights of state legislatures.

The right of states to determine how their electors are chosen was defeated in 2000 when the US Supreme Court overturned that FL Supreme Court.  State's rights is an illusion.

I agree, not everything should be federal.  But some things (National Defense for example) should be.  And for those things the entire nation should foot the bill.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 06:11:48 PM »

The US Supreme Court said the Florida Supreme Court could not make new legislation.

It would be easy to get all 50. None of them have ever passed gay 'marriage' legislation.
raggage

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 09:20:44 PM »

Personally I have no problem with more power being allocated to the state governments, as long as the Federal Government remains paramount. We must remember that we are Americans first Califonian/Ohioans/Hawaiians second.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »

Personally I have no problem with more power being allocated to the state governments, as long as the Federal Government remains paramount. We must remember that we are Americans first Califonian/Ohioans/Hawaiians second.

That's not how they felt back when the country was founded.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 09:22:19 PM »

None of them have ever passed gay 'marriage' legislation.

That doesn't really mean that they'll all pass anti-gay marriage legislation, though.
raggage

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 09:23:55 PM »

Times have changed. America would not be where it is today if not for the federal system asserting itself. Imagine if the states remained separate... I'd love to see Rhode Island or Alabama survive as a soverign entity.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 10:10:10 PM »

Times have changed. America would not be where it is today if not for the federal system asserting itself. Imagine if the states remained separate... I'd love to see Rhode Island or Alabama survive as a soverign entity.

That's why the original system the colonies had didn't work(confederacy). The federal government is important, I'm not denying that. The thing is though, I don't think it has a place in domestic issues - education for instance(we get things like 'No Child Left Behind' from them). The federal government should stick to military, foreign affairs, post-office, printing money, and helping resolve conflicts between states if needed. Keep it to the necessary functions such as those and let the states sort out the rest of it.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 10:23:27 PM »

Actually, there are a considerable number of moderately conservative Democrats at the local level who don't go along with the nationalization of everything.

Former Sherrif Mack was a Democrat.
raggage

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 10:47:47 PM »

That's why the original system the colonies had didn't work(confederacy). The federal government is important, I'm not denying that. The thing is though, I don't think it has a place in domestic issues - education for instance(we get things like 'No Child Left Behind' from them). The federal government should stick to military, foreign affairs, post-office, printing money, and helping resolve conflicts between states if needed. Keep it to the necessary functions such as those and let the states sort out the rest of it.

But who gets to draw the line of what the federal government and the state governments do. The Constitution is not a clear cut as it sounds on the issue.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2004, 10:54:31 PM »

But who gets to draw the line of what the federal government and the state governments do. The Constitution is not a clear cut as it sounds on the issue.
Actually the constitution is quite clear about what powers the federal government has. Its in Article 1 Section 8.  Further the 10th amendment states very clearly that the federal govt has only the powers given to it by the constitution. Everything else belongs to the states or the people.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2004, 11:19:02 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 11:20:07 PM by John Ford »

The right of states to determine how their electors are chosen was defeated in 2000 when the US Supreme Court overturned that FL Supreme Court.  State's rights is an illusion.

I agree, not everything should be federal.  But some things (National Defense for example) should be.  And for those things the entire nation should foot the bill.

1. Under the US Constitution, Article 2 "Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress...".  This means that it was not the authority of the Florida court to appoint electors, which is what they had tried to do.

2. Because of the outcome of the case Martin v. Hunter's Lessee, the Federal Supreme Court has apellate jurisdiction over state courts whose decisions have constitutional ramifications.

3. Florida's rights end where the Constitution begins.  The selective recount by new standards violated both the ex post facto ban in the Constitution and the equal protection clause in the 14th Amendment.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies