IF gay unions are state-recognized...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:27:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  IF gay unions are state-recognized...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: IF gay unions are state-recognized...  (Read 5373 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2004, 06:24:09 PM »

Some people are saying they support state recognition of gay 'marriage' but not polygamy?

Someone please explain how this makes sense.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 06:27:16 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2004, 06:42:39 PM by opebo »

I think both are prefectly fine, and also none of my business.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 06:41:25 PM »

If gay unions are recognized just open up the flood gates and let everything in.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 06:41:44 PM »

I think both are prefecly fine, and also none of my business.

I don't think they are perfectly fine, but I agree that its none of my business.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 06:43:39 PM »

I think both are prefecly fine, and also none of my business.

I don't think they are perfectly fine, but I agree that its none of my business.

Interesting!  But I guess the last part of your statement is what's really important from a libertarian point of view.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 06:44:37 PM »

No...as posted in the other thread, real world polygamous relationships involve the subjugation of women, which society should not encourage or allow.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 06:45:00 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2004, 06:47:23 PM by Philip »

I don't even think it'd be completely opening the floodgates. Gay marriage is in no way, shape, matter, or form better.

The 'real world societies' crap isn't what we're talking about. If three women in this country want to get 'married'--and there are--should their union be recognized?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 06:49:32 PM »

No...as posted in the other thread, real world polygamous relationships involve the subjugation of women, which society should not encourage or allow.

Why not?  They voluntarily enter into the bargain.  Being 'subjugated' is often a trade-off for economic benefit, just as in, for example, working for an employer.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 06:49:59 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2004, 06:52:51 PM by John Dibble »

Yes, even if I think it's immoral(or just plain stupid - dealing with just one woman is hard enough).

As far as letting everything else be recognized - well, define everything else.

If you mean group marriages involving any number of people, yeah, might as well allow that, no different from polygamy really(though like polygamy we'd need to figure out some kind of tax code for it, I would just say that everyone should file as individuals).

If you mean human-animal marriages you're an idiot, because animals aren't citizens, can't pay taxes, and are regarded as property for the most part. How the hell would consent even be given?

If you mean incest, well, that's a wierd area, but there would be different grounds to say it shouldn't be allowed. Anyone who'd want to marry a direct family member would probably have some sort of psychological disorder, so consent would be impossible to give due to lack of proper mental capacity.

Same with pedophile marriages - children are too young to give consent.

EDIT - my preference would be that no form of marriage would be state recognized. Anyone who wants to consent to give another person legal power(power of attorney, to enter the emergency room, gaurdianship over children[with consent from all current gaurdians, not just one on a whim], and other rights given by state recognized unions). But I doubt it will happen.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 06:50:49 PM »

I don't even think it'd be completely opening the floodgates. Gay marriage is in no way, shape, matter, or form better.

The 'real world societies' crap isn't what we're talking about. If three women in this country want to get 'married'--and there are--should their union be recognized?

In three women example, I guess I would have to say that that is OK.  But this what NOT we usually think of as polygamy.  
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 06:53:18 PM »

Got it, so you approve. How about incest?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 06:54:56 PM »

In three women example, I guess I would have to say that that is OK.  But this what NOT we usually think of as polygamy.  

To amend my own statement:

Although I don't have any theoretical problem with the three-women example, I think it would be OK for society to outlaw all marriages of more than two people.  This is because, in practice, the "equal" multiple-person marriages would be so rare in number, that little harm would be done by banning them just to make sure that "unequal" polygamous marriages are not permitted.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 06:56:04 PM »

Although I don't have any theoretical problem with the three-women example, I think it would be OK for society to outlaw all marriages of more than two people.  This is because, in practice, the "equal" multiple-person marriages would be so rare in number, that little harm would be done by banning them just to make sure that "unequal" polygamous marriages are not permitted.

You seem to assume that inequality within marriage will automatically favor the male party - I hold the opposite view.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 06:58:27 PM »

You seem to assume that inequality within marriage will automatically favor the male party - I hold the opposite view.

Almost all societies in history that have permitted polygamy have involved one man marrying many wives.  These societies have also categorically expected women to play a submissive role in society.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 06:58:41 PM »

It's not the government's business to sanction marriages at all!  Leave it to the churches.

If you need some kind of government tie so your spouse(s) can have hospital visits, group taxes, and so on, then simply have the government issue civil unions.  You could get a civil union with your mother if that's what you want.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2004, 07:02:22 PM »

...This is really pathetic...
CollectiveInterest

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2004, 08:27:40 PM »

Some people are saying they support state recognition of gay 'marriage' but not polygamy?

Someone please explain how this makes sense.

If I was persuaded polygamy were truly consensual I wouldn't have a problem. But the way it has been portrayed to me it is often non-consensual.

Can you get your mind around this?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2004, 09:46:54 PM »

Republicans....the world's only bedroom-police political party.  
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2004, 10:34:23 PM »

Heavens, what's next?  Interracial marriage?

</Sarcasm>

Wasn't too long ago that many people considerered that to be immoral and subject to legistlation.  I wouldn't be too suprised if some forum members actually still thought that way (though I doubt they would admit their bigotry quite so openly)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2004, 10:37:33 PM »

Republicans....the world's only bedroom-police political party.  

Hah, if only it were so - these types abound in many parts of the world.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2004, 11:12:47 PM »

I strongly support marriage as a union between two people. Thus I don't support polygamy, at least not as recognized by the government.

Slippery slope arguments are, as a general rule, almost always overly simplistic.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2004, 12:02:38 AM »

If polygamy were allowed in an egalitarian manner I would have 2 offers of marriage from married women within a week.

No real point, just saying.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2004, 12:13:32 AM »

If polygamy were allowed in an egalitarian manner I would have 2 offers of marriage from married women within a week.

Um... you're schtuping some married ladies? Right on!
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2004, 12:15:39 AM »

Um... you're schtuping some married ladies? Right on!

Isn't "schtuping" a wonderful word?
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2004, 12:34:30 AM »

Heavens, what's next?  Interracial marriage?

</Sarcasm>

Wasn't too long ago that many people considerered that to be immoral and subject to legistlation.  I wouldn't be too suprised if some forum members actually still thought that way (though I doubt they would admit their bigotry quite so openly)

It was considered immoral by uneducated people. For instance, the Catholic Church has always allowed interracial marraige, never condemning it. A man and a women produce a child. However, two gay men can't make a child. Therefore, the point of marriage is completely missed.

In addition, English Law never banned interracial marriage- it's really a 20th century thing. In the south, many slave owners would marry their slaves.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies