Table of Kerry VP's
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:42:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Table of Kerry VP's
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Table of Kerry VP's  (Read 3434 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2004, 11:40:54 AM »

Larry Sabato has made a table of possible Kerry Veeps.  Here it is:

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/pres_veep2-table.htm
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 01:21:30 PM »

He seems to have chosen a fairly simplistic way of calculating each person's chances though... I mean, Cleland ahead of Bayh and Edwards?
NHPolitico

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 01:23:10 PM »

Dianne Feinstein
Region: Doesn't apply. She doesn't come off as a regional person. She doesn't come off as a San Francisco liberal, either. She could serve as a Democrat almost anywhere that a Democrat serves as a senator.

Experience: gets a top score from Sabato. She is a total political veteran.

Political Strength: She could carry California, not that it would really be in doubt, but her strength is among the women who loved Elizabeth Dole and helped her stomp Erskine Bowles in the dirt-- and they live everywhere. You get Hillary's "political success story" that women admire and none of her baggage.

Special Advantages: A woman, a jew, and no stink of tokenism anywhere on her resume. She's like Condi Rice. She succeeded because she outworked and outsmarted her opponents.  Men respect her for her achievements. She's not Bill's wife.  Her calm personality is an advantage, too. She doesn't come off as emotional.  Has a record of fiscal responsibility (has supported tax cuts and slowing spending) when Democrats are sometimes tagged as out-of-hand tax and spenders.

No Hidden Problems: She's got questionable affection for China, but that's too obscure for most people as far as scandals. In 1990, Gray Davis made a big deal over the fact that Feinstein's husband loaned $3 million to her unsuccessful gubernatorial campaign, but the money wasn't reported the right way on forms.  That was a nothing scandal. Feinstein has approved appropriations bills sending hundreds of millions of dollars to California defense and job-training companies that her husband has investments in, but she's sent money to companies that don't, too. She is just a senator that uses her clout to send pork home.

Compatibility: A bit more conservative than Kerry, but so is Ted Kennedy. She and Kerry both opposed DOMA, so they share that.  Feinstein endorsed Kerry, too.

I think I made my case.

NHPolitico

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 01:25:24 PM »

He seems to have chosen a fairly simplistic way of calculating each person's chances though... I mean, Cleland ahead of Bayh and Edwards?

No, his criteria are fine. Bayh is far more conservative and that hurts him on the chart. He's also not close firends with Kerry.  Same things with Edwards.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 04:40:32 PM »

the list makes sense and i believe that Max Cleland is a great person and was a great senator but are the people really going to elect a person in a wheelchair with no legs and no arm?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 04:47:30 PM »

MAS117, go down tp the FANTASY ELECTION THREAD NOW.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 03:38:12 AM »

Dianne Feinstein
Region: Doesn't apply. She doesn't come off as a regional person. She doesn't come off as a San Francisco liberal, either. She could serve as a Democrat almost anywhere that a Democrat serves as a senator.

Experience: gets a top score from Sabato. She is a total political veteran.

Political Strength: She could carry California, not that it would really be in doubt, but her strength is among the women who loved Elizabeth Dole and helped her stomp Erskine Bowles in the dirt-- and they live everywhere. You get Hillary's "political success story" that women admire and none of her baggage.

Special Advantages: A woman, a jew, and no stink of tokenism anywhere on her resume. She's like Condi Rice. She succeeded because she outworked and outsmarted her opponents.  Men respect her for her achievements. She's not Bill's wife.  Her calm personality is an advantage, too. She doesn't come off as emotional.  Has a record of fiscal responsibility (has supported tax cuts and slowing spending) when Democrats are sometimes tagged as out-of-hand tax and spenders.

No Hidden Problems: She's got questionable affection for China, but that's too obscure for most people as far as scandals. In 1990, Gray Davis made a big deal over the fact that Feinstein's husband loaned $3 million to her unsuccessful gubernatorial campaign, but the money wasn't reported the right way on forms.  That was a nothing scandal. Feinstein has approved appropriations bills sending hundreds of millions of dollars to California defense and job-training companies that her husband has investments in, but she's sent money to companies that don't, too. She is just a senator that uses her clout to send pork home.

Compatibility: A bit more conservative than Kerry, but so is Ted Kennedy. She and Kerry both opposed DOMA, so they share that.  Feinstein endorsed Kerry, too.

I think I made my case.

Would Swartzenaeger get to appoint Dennis Miller to the Senate to replace her?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 04:19:34 AM »

I have to say that I really doubt Feinstein would be a good choice for Kerry's VP...

Ive stated my reasons else where but if you want me to post them here then ask and i will...

Kerry does not need a pol with shed loads of experience he already has that, he needs someone to smooth out his edges i.e. someone who will make him seem more human and less the "dull, Massachusetts Brahman" that the Republicans will wish to portray him as... in the Midwest there are few if any young Democratic pols at a federal level that having been said I'd say that the likes of Granholm, Doyle, Vilsack etc are some of the most promising future prospects for the Dem party (else where Id say that Harold Ford and Ed Rendell are two other potential future stars of the party)… you also need a running mate for JK who can add to his geographical appeal particularly in the Midwest and the south (not necessarily to win southern states but rather to make one or two competitive and to help with the senatorial campaigns there)… so you need charisma, broad geographical appeal, a moderate message and a background which can counter act the privileged Bostonian upbringing of Kerry with those criteria in mind Id say that gives you a number of options…

1.) Sn. John Edwards (D-NC)

2.) Sn. Mary Landrieu (D-LA)

3.) Gov. Mark Warner (D-VA)

those are the top three potential VPs in my view, after them are a number slightly more dull yet much more experienced candidates for the VP slot…

4.) Bob Graham (D-FL)

5.) Max Baucus (D-MT)

6.) John Breaux (D-LA)

7.) Evan Bayh (D-IN)

8.) Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)

But the top three are far better choices than any of the next five… I really wish that Bayh had a little more sparkle, just a little more charisma then it would be him by a mile or if only Edwards came from Ohio…dame it! Oh well…. I still stick by my preference for Edwards though ….      
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 09:24:44 AM »

I don't think Cleland is a good choice.  Lets not forget that he was DEFEATED in his senate re-election bid, which means there is no way he carries Georgia for Kerry.  Evan Bayh is the best pick Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 04:39:37 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2004, 04:40:24 PM by ilikeverin »

*cheers*

Evan Bayh for Vice President!

We might even come within 8% of Bush in IN if that happens...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 04:46:59 PM »

*cheers*

You are the youngest forum member! Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2004, 04:48:52 PM »

*cheers*

And durn proud of it Wink
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2004, 04:50:08 PM »

Mary Landrieu may be a good pick Louisana could go democrat with her on the ticket and shes a woman too.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2004, 04:53:15 PM »

*cheers*

And durn proud of it Wink

Well, you should. I didn't think we had anyone below 15...

That's kind of cool. Smiley
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2004, 04:53:24 PM »

although Landrieu just barely won reelection so maybe she's not a good pick.  
Demrepdan

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2004, 06:36:36 PM »

I wonder why they list Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich? I don't think he would help the ticket at all. No one knows who he is...and he only has 1 year of being Governor under his belt.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2004, 07:14:24 PM »

I wonder why they list Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich? I don't think he would help the ticket at all. No one knows who he is...and he only has 1 year of being Governor under his belt.

I won't believe that there is a human being out there called 'Blagojevich'. No way.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2004, 07:14:47 PM »

why not?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2004, 07:19:39 PM »

'Blagojevich'
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2004, 07:21:32 PM »

so? sounds possible, Eastern European....
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2004, 07:26:18 PM »

so? sounds possible, Eastern European....

'Blagojevich'
Demrepdan

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2004, 07:33:12 PM »

It is an Eastern European name....in fact..his religion is "Eastern Orthodox". If you're wondering how the name is pronounced its.....BLA-GOYA-VICH
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2004, 08:20:08 PM »

It is an Eastern European name....in fact..his religion is "Eastern Orthodox". If you're wondering how the name is pronounced its.....BLA-GOYA-VICH

Doesn't make it much better...I wasn't really wondering, but new information is always nice...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies