Katie Couric, Sarah Palin, and Alaska's proximity to Russia.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:17:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Katie Couric, Sarah Palin, and Alaska's proximity to Russia.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Katie Couric, Sarah Palin, and Alaska's proximity to Russia.  (Read 7528 times)
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »

Wow.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/09/palin-on-russia.html

Here's the transcript.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/09/25/how_alaskas_proximity_to_russia_is_relevant.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow.

Is she completely in over her head or what?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 02:22:38 PM »

She's just basically saying she is more in tune with the threat of Russia because Russia invades Alaska airspace from time to time.

nothing wrong with her saying that
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 02:25:02 PM »

Meh.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »

I don't see how that transcript indicates she is over her head.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »

MODU, please don't rain on Chris' parade.  Wink
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 02:27:13 PM »

MODU, please don't rain on Chris' parade.  Wink

I'm so sorry.  I will try not to do that again.  Tongue
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 02:28:47 PM »

It is scary that some of you people are so blinded by her looks that you cannot see her ineptitude.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »

It is scary that some of you people are so blinded by her looks that you cannot see her ineptitude.

Or people so blinded by their partisanship that they see only what they want to see ... right Chris?  Tongue
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 02:32:56 PM »

Or people so blinded by their partisanship that they see only what they want to see ... right Chris?  Tongue

I have given Sarah Palin the benefit of the doubt in many cases. She was terrific in her Alaska debates. She was good in her speech at the GOP convention (albeit petty).

Stop worrying about whether you want to put your dick in her or not and start focusing on what she is saying and how inept she actually is.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 02:37:50 PM »

It's scary that some of you people are so blinded by partisanship that if Palin gave the Gettysburg address, you'd still be saying she's completely over her head.

The answer makes sense.  She has met the Consul General of the Russian Federation, and Russia has sent trade delegations to the state.  That's a fact.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 02:40:51 PM »

I have given Sarah Palin the benefit of the doubt in many cases. She was terrific in her Alaska debates. She was good in her speech at the GOP convention (albeit petty).

Stop worrying about whether you want to put your dick in her or not and start focusing on what she is saying and how inept she actually is.

Again, point out where in that transcript where you say she's over her head (rather than throwing around childish rants).  While she might not be speaking in flowing verse, her statement is accurate.  And that doesn't even cover the business negotiations with getting the new oil/natural gas pipeline between the US and Canada approved, trade relations with Russia, etc.
elcorazon

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »

She's just basically saying she is more in tune with the threat of Russia because Russia invades Alaska airspace from time to time.

no there's not.  other than the fact that the way she said everything made her sound like an idiot.  It was clear she didn't quite know how to respond and each word made her look dumb. 

Did you realize foreign countries are in Russia?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »

Did you realize foreign countries are in Russia?

that's not what she said.  she said her neighbors are foreign countries (Russia and Canada), and then went to talk about Russia

she doesn't come off as being smooth, but there is nothing inaccurate with what she said.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 03:16:50 PM »

Wow. She may be stupider than Bush.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »

Again, point out where in that transcript where you say she's over her head (rather than throwing around childish rants).  While she might not be speaking in flowing verse, her statement is accurate.  And that doesn't even cover the business negotiations with getting the new oil/natural gas pipeline between the US and Canada approved, trade relations with Russia, etc.

Oh come on, she stumbles through an answer which says that because her state borders a foreign country she has that experience, backed up by evidence of planes flying over the state. I feel sorry for the lady, why can't she be more confident and laugh some of this off - its obviously ridiculous that she can claim foreign policy experience this way - why not say that McCain has that but she has energy in spades?

But if you see nothing wrong in what she says, try this one for size:

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/25/palin-bailout-healthcare/

COURIC: Why isn’t it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries? ... Instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN: Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy– Oh, it’s got to be about job creation too. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions.
elcorazon

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 03:23:53 PM »

I suppose maybe she was just stalling, but I read the bolded part to be an extension of the previous sentence.  She says that their neighbors are foreign countries, who are "in the state she's executive of" which I'm not sure makes any sense, but when she adds that "there in russia" I think it should say "they're in russia"... unclear who the they is... is it "foreign countries" is it neighbors?  regardless the entire statement is a big nonsequitur... and given it's not the first time she's had to respond to that comment, I'm surprised she didn't have a stock answer for it.

this is total gobbledegook however.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 03:25:38 PM »

rofl
elcorazon

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 03:28:14 PM »

good example of staying "ON MESSAGE" with her talking points.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 03:43:23 PM »

But if you see nothing wrong in what she says, try this one for size:

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/25/palin-bailout-healthcare/

COURIC: Why isn’t it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries? ... Instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN: Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy– Oh, it’s got to be about job creation too. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions.

yeah, she messed that one up.  And it was an easy question.  She's probably very nervous. 

One thing I have noticed about her debates, speeches, and interviews while she was in Alaska, is that she does better in debates and speeches than in camera interviews.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 03:59:31 PM »

I have to agree with Modu.  Yeah, there are a few knuckleheads who think Palin deserves to be elected because she is FINE to look at.  But there are none of those clowns here.  There are also some idiots who think Barack Obama deserves to be President simply because he's black or young.  Phooey.

Sarah Palin may very well be in over her head.  I am still not persuaded she is not corrupt.  And I am fairly certain she is much, much too conservative on social issues.

But to suggest that her supporters are behind her because she has pretty eyes and a nice rack is silly.  A few, sure.  Not many.  And certainly not most.
elcorazon

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 04:13:28 PM »

People are amazingly impacted by looks.  I don't think ANYone's voting for her solely because she's cute... or at least a minimal number.  But attractive people get better raises, get hired more often, etc. than less attractive people.  President is no exception (despite Nixon's winning twice).  That said, Palin's looks are not WHY she has been so well received.  She gives a very good speech and she's got some characteristics that strike a chord with many.

Again, that's really all an aside.  The reality is that she is not ready or prepared to handle the myriad of issues a President will be faced with.  She can't even handle a Katie Couric interview.  She came off as an idiot.  Nothing to do with partisanship, just reality.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »

Which threat? Do you really believe Russia would attack the US?

And I count 15 states which have a border with a foreign country. Does this make e.g. the governor of Washington a foreign policy expert?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 05:28:55 PM »

Which threat? Do you really believe Russia would attack the US?

And I count 15 states which have a border with a foreign country. Does this make e.g. the governor of Washington a foreign policy expert?

It makes the governor of Washington more of a foreign policy expert than the governor of, say Missouri, all things being equal.  Why?  Because the governor of Washington and Premier of British Columbia regularly meet on issues of mutual interest - just like the Governor of Alaska meets with the Premier of Yukon.  Relations with Canada matter more to a governor of Washington or Alaska than Missouri.   Relations with Mexico are more important to a governor of Texas than Missouri.  Canada and Mexico are foreign countries.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 05:34:55 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2008, 05:36:33 PM by daboese »

Of course. But does this make her an expert on foreign policy? And how much trade is there between Yukon and Alaska, and Kamchatka and Alaska? I don't think this is a lot (especially Kamchatka has been a Russian military zone for decades and is now finally opening up).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 05:36:18 PM »

Of course. But does this make her an expert on foreign policy? And how much trade is there between Yukon and Alaska, and Kamchatka and Alaska? I don't think this is a lot.

more than having lived abroad as a civilian.

That said...both have hardly any effect....I wish we'd focus on more important things.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies