McCain's latest move; brilliant or insane?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:51:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain's latest move; brilliant or insane?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: McCain's latest move; brilliant or insane?  (Read 8954 times)
JohnCA246
mokbubble

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 09:45:37 PM »

oh the makeup scene was classic. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 09:47:55 PM »

Not the first time his actions have posed that question (ie; is this move a stroke of genius or suicidal?) during this campaign his political career.

But what do you all think?

I don't think McCain would have suspended his campaign unless he saw something in it for him to be gained by doing so

He'll be banking on it being a stroke of genius, of course! But don't underestimate just how calculating and conniving a politician he, actually, is - and what is often thought as being a bold or a risky move, on his part, is actually far from it

Dave
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »

Brilliant.  It's his version of "I shall go to Korea."  He gets to look like a he's doing something.

If the bailout is adopted, McCain is the economic hero and a bipartisan.  If it fails, it's because Obama was too interested in his own ambitions to do the job to which he has been elected.

You seem to be under this bizarre impression that the bailout is popular.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 09:53:30 PM »

Not the first time his actions have posed that question (ie; is this move a stroke of genius or suicidal?) during this campaign his political career.

But what do you all think?

I don't think McCain would have suspended his campaign unless he saw something in it for him to be gained by doing so

He'll be banking on it being a stroke of genius, of course! But don't underestimate just how calculating and conniving a politician he, actually, is - and what is often thought as being a bold or a risky move, on his part, is actually far from it

Dave

Actually, its a variation of the old 'rose garden' strategy.

Every candidate eventually says stupid things while on the hustings, some more than others (Biden for example).  

McCain probably wants Obama to have the limelight, and see if he commits a gaff (you know, criticize Americans for 'clinging' to god and guns).
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 09:55:02 PM »

His campaign has been in a death spiral ever since they picked Palin.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 09:56:11 PM »

So...his two week lead in the polls was what exactly...?
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »

It may well be both - like the Palin pick.  Tactically effective but strategically foolish.

I think his mellow dramatic tactics reek of desperation.  I wonder if his internal polling really looks that bad, or if he is experiencing some sort of onset of dementia.  (Bush Sr. was smart enough and moderate enough to keep things running smoothly under Reagan's second term.  I have no such confidence in Palin)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 09:59:03 PM »

Generally, when you go into some sort of death spiral, you start from high up. If you began your death spiral while on the ground, the chances of death would be significantly lower. It would merely be a run-of-the-mill spiral. There might not even be time to spiral, without a good few seconds in the air. Hopefully my metaphor's getting through here.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 09:59:25 PM »

Brilliant.  It's his version of "I shall go to Korea."  He gets to look like a he's doing something.

If the bailout is adopted, McCain is the economic hero and a bipartisan.  If it fails, it's because Obama was too interested in his own ambitions to do the job to which he has been elected.

No, but leadership and bipartisanship are.  This isn't about the economy.  McCain just transformed the issue.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »

Generally, when you go into some sort of death spiral, you start from high up. If you began your death spiral while on the ground, the chances of death would be significantly lower. It would merely be a run-of-the-mill spiral. There might not even be time to spiral, without a good few seconds in the air. Hopefully my metaphor's getting through here.

So how did he start a death spiral when he picked her and then got the lead a week or so after picking her?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 10:00:54 PM »

No, but leadership and bipartisanship are.  This isn't about the economy.  McCain just transformed the issue.

"God I hate that bailout! But John McCain helped pass it - with Democrats! Who cares that I hate it - I'm gonna vote for that guy!"
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 10:04:53 PM »

Around here, the bailout is very unpopular, but it is also seen as a necessary evil.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 10:05:17 PM »

That's just silly. McCain needs to do drastic things in order to win. That's really his best chance. Does it matter than liberal women in NY or CA hate Palin? not a bit. all that matters is the that the low information voters in the west and ohio buy these kind of tactics. time will tell, but remember that they are not looking at this election the way we do. the swing voters at this point will be swayed with personality and appearances.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 10:07:17 PM »

So how did he start a death spiral when he picked her and then got the lead a week or so after picking her?
I think the argument is that, except for an initial 2-week grace period, Palin has largely had a negative effect on the ticket. You can argue with that, but the past week of controversy and her rapid decline in poll numbers certainly seems to support that. I don't know if you can blame the entire "death spiral" of the past week or so on Palin (you probably can't), but she certainly isn't helping.

Now, if McCain had picked Mitt, he'd be on every news network right now pretending to be a savvy businessman, and the media would be eating it up.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »

Now, if McCain had picked Mitt, he'd be on every news network right now pretending to be a savvy businessman, and the media would be eating it up.

Which might have gotten us to within five points of Obama. Romney would have been a big negative from the beginning.
Barack Hussian YO MAMA!!!!
The Rascal King
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.46, S: 4.96

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 10:09:47 PM »

McCain definately felt like he had to do "something." Ordinary campaigning wasn't going to cut it. As others pointed out, we'll have to wait and see the public's reactions. For what it's worth, McCain really didn't have anything to lose.

That's pretty much what I think Mccain really doesn't have anything to lose seeing how
this turmoil on wall street is going to hurt him more. he needed to throw a hail marry
and he did, it could work he could come across looking above politics it doesn't really make difference either  either way even if  this does help Mccain,most likely its just going to delay the  Inevitable, it my even be unfair but the truth is this whole thing is going to hurt Mccain more then it could ever could Obama. the public is going to be looking for somebody to blame in all this, other then wall street, there scorn will be directed at Bush and most likely there going to take it out on Mccain in November.   
RJ
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 10:14:20 PM »

We're talking about suspending his campaign and postponing the debates until this "financial crisis" has a resolution, right? On paper, Obama and McCain are members of Congress until further notice, so it only makes sense that they should have some influence on what happens. Regardless of whether or not it's a "brilliant/foolish/risky political move" is irrelevant. I just didn't think it was really that noteworthy. I also don't believe for a second that any election campaign is going to actually be suspended.

As far as the move goes politically, I'm not sure how you'd evaluate it. McCain may be hoping people will recognize him as taking taking the lead on this issue and is putting his "country first". However, according to what I heard, Obama initially called him this morning(9/24) to discuss the issue, but Obama as of 7:00pm hadn't agreed to anything as far as calling a truce or postponing the debate.  Also, what are the VP picks supposed to do? Are ads supposed to stop airing until this gets resolved?

I don't think postponing Friday's appointment will really help/hurt either campaign. I'm not sure how Obama will come off continuing to campaign and take shots at a "defenseless" campaign. I'm not sure how McCain is supposed to be verbally basted and have no response. I'm not sure how it'd look if 1 candidate participated in this while another one doesn't. If it's a campaign risk, I think it's part of the incidental campaigning.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 10:14:35 PM »

He "transformed" the issue? I guess he should jump to a big lead after this then, eh?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 10:17:33 PM »

He "transformed" the issue? I guess he should jump to a big lead after this then, eh?

it's not about bipartisanship. It's about people who've worked hard all their lives losing their savings. This is shallow political theater, and I think people will rightly regard it as silly.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 10:28:18 PM »

I think this move is a net loss, because it reinforces the growing narrative of McCain as highly erratic in his response to the current crisis. I think Americans are savvy enough to realize that if a deal is cut, that it will have little to do with the involvement of McCain or Obama.

Granted, McCain doesn't have a strong hand here, and has to break the bad news cycle of the past few weeks, in an environment where the meltdown will be a major topic for almost all Americans.

Bush looked much better tonight in promoting the "bi-partisan compromise" than McCain's stunt, although granted Bush's initial response was fairly tepid at best.

We'll see how this plays out over the next few days--- this is still a very fluid and dangerous time for Both Obama & McCain.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2008, 10:29:30 PM »

The key to figuring out if this is a good move or not is who gets angrier over it.  Right now, everyone is in a state of confusion.  This is really bizarre.  What a strange election.

This is one of your wisest posts.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2008, 10:38:15 PM »

I think it is a wise move that is being handled poorly.  Had he done this as soon as the market sunk, and actually went to Washington right away it would be fine.  Then resume for the debate.  But waiting for a week going on Rachel Ray (was it this week) and then deciding there is a crisis two days before the debate is odd.  The whole thing with Letterman and "rushing" to DC is classic. 

Candidates suspend their campaign all the time, whether it be for 9/11 or a hurricane, but the manner this has been done is strange, especially with the debates.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 10:39:07 PM »

But who knows?  This is so strange.  Just like the Palin pick.  So surreal.

"Surreal" describes it very well.  We're going to have to wait things out, that's for sure.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 10:43:29 PM »

One thing is for sure...this killed the 'fundamentally strong' gaffe from last week, although it does make him look like he moves from one extreme to another. Also no one is talking about the NYT story about his campaign managers ties to Fannie Mae. So in that respect I think it falls into the 'brilliant' category.

I also think it is cynical. The WH and Congress were hammering out a deal and were likely headed to figuring it all out. I think that him parachuting in and trying to take credit can end up delaying or possibly even derailing a deal as the dems dont want him suddenly steal their work and say it is all his doing.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »

the jury is still out on this one, but the jury is starting to wonder if  the defendant is sane enough to stand trial
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies