McCain's latest move; brilliant or insane?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:53:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain's latest move; brilliant or insane?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: McCain's latest move; brilliant or insane?  (Read 9032 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:44:20 PM »

Not the first time his actions have posed that question (ie; is this move a stroke of genius or suicidal?) during this campaign his political career.

But what do you all think?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:45:18 PM »

Insane.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:45:24 PM »

We already knew he was insane. Anyways, he's taking a big risk to see how well the bullsh**t expectations game for the debates will work. This is clearly a political move, even though the talking points are to claim that this is McCain being above politics.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:47:29 PM »

We'll find out when we look at the tracking polls in the next few days. I personally find it a disgusting political ploy, but who knows.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »

No way I'm saying either way within six hours of it happening.  I know very well that I don't accurately represent swing voters as a whole.

In fact, I'm not sure this choice has been "won" or "lost" yet.  Yeah, my early inclination is probably that it was a bad choice.  But the McCain campaign has pulled hat tricks off before.
Rococo4

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:57:52 PM »

way too early to tell
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:59:24 PM »

I'll admit that McCain likely needed to do something beyond ordinary campaigning, but this wasn't it.  Only if Obama had been stupid enough to agree to McCain's proposal could I see this as having any chance at being a positive for him.  The only reason I haven't adjusted my prediction yet for this is I'm uncertain how much damage McCain will take and my prediction was probably overstating Obama's strength anyway.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »

McCain needs to shake things up in order to win the election, and, well, he's shaken things up again.  As with the Palin pick, only time will tell whether the move is brilliant or insane.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »

The gamble of the move has been tempered greatly by Obama's choice to go to Washington.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 09:05:42 PM »

McCain definately felt like he had to do "something." Ordinary campaigning wasn't going to cut it. As others pointed out, we'll have to wait and see the public's reactions. For what it's worth, McCain really didn't have anything to lose.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »

Brilliant.  It's his version of "I shall go to Korea."  He gets to look like a he's doing something.

If the bailout is adopted, McCain is the economic hero and a bipartisan.  If it fails, it's because Obama was too interested in his own ambitions to do the job to which he has been elected.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 09:09:11 PM »

Brilliant.  It's his version of "I shall go to Korea."  He gets to look like a he's doing something.

If the bailout is adopted, McCain is the economic hero and a bipartisan.  If it fails, it's because Obama was too interested in his own ambitions to do the job to which he has been elected.

Give me a break.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »

No Roll Eyes
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 09:11:04 PM »

I really don't understand what McCain was thinking really. I don't see how he thought this could benefit him at all....its just odd.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »

Does McCain really want to take credit for the bailout?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 09:12:56 PM »

When did you become a self parody?  Roll Eyes
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »

Does McCain really want to take credit for the bailout?

If things end up going well, yes.  If not, no.  Just like everything else.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 09:13:44 PM »

ROFLMAO.

You could spin anything.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 09:18:03 PM »

ROFLMAO.

You could spin anything.

You should be taking notes.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »

ROFLMAO.

You could spin anything.

I wish I was as good as him, but I'm not.

I have an unfortunate hangup where I acknowledge facts some of the time.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »

ROFLMAO.

You could spin anything.

I wish I was as good as him, but I'm not.

Don't flatter yourself.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »

Link?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 09:25:35 PM »

ChrisfromNJ and his high jinks amuse me.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »

No, it's brilliant and it was done before; I have no doubt it is political theater, but very well done political theater.  It plays into two key elements of McCain, bipartisanship and leadership.  Ideally, Obama would have joined him, lessening the effect.

One problem is that Obama and McCain have basically the same positions on the bailout.  McCain can go there, be seen as a bipartisan leader, and Obama can't be critical of the policy, because he favors it.  Do you really expect to be critical of bipartisanship?

I have to say, the people who called it a bad idea were the same folks who called Palin a bad idea, even though it boosted McCain's numbers and fund raising (and I was a Palin skeptic).

In the VP debate, Biden might be needed in the Senate, if this thing continues.  Palin obviously won't.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 09:39:31 PM »

You know...I sometimes get discouraged by the state of the race after reading the forum. Then I realize that this place is an only slightly more sane left wing echo chamber like DU.

I don't know if I'd call the move brilliant (especially not the VP debate move) but I think it will help. America isn't like the forum, folks. Don't be shocked when they don't react in utter disgust over this proposal, guys.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies