Hazel Blears loses the plot BIG TIME at Labour Conference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 03:06:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hazel Blears loses the plot BIG TIME at Labour Conference
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hazel Blears loses the plot BIG TIME at Labour Conference  (Read 1200 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:13:10 AM »

A British government minister attacked Republican US vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin as "horrendous" at the Labour Party conference on Saturday.
The outburst from Communities Secretary Hazel Blears threatens to undermine Prime Minister Gordon Brown's determination for the British government to maintain a neutral position in the US presidential election.

Speaking at a fringe meeting of the centre-left party during its annual party conference in Manchester, Blears said Palin was capitalising on people's disillusionment with regular politics.

"I just think there is so much anti-politics -- not just in this country but around the world," Blears said.

"One of the reasons why Sarah Palin has been such a phenomenon is because she's anti-politics, anti-Washington.

"Her politics are horrendous, but actually she's struck a chord with people -- 'I'm a maverick, I'm not part of those powerful people' -- and people identified with that."

Palin, the strongly anti-abortion governor of Alaska, has boosted Republican candidate John McCain's fortunes since being named his surprise choice as running mate.

She has previously remarked that US soldiers in Iraq were being sent on a task from God.

Earlier this month, Brown denied favouring either McCain or Barack Obama in the US presidential race, despite writing an article in which he appeared to back the Democrats.

He rejected allegations of bias after a magazine article in which he said it was "the Democrats who are generating the ideas".

Ok Hazel you dried up horrific b*tch, no matter what your politics how dare you. She literally reprimands the people at large for being to attracted to someone who attacks the obviously corrupt powers that be (if she herself (Palin) be corrupt too matters not in this instance) She faults the American people of pricking up their ears when someone attacks the s*itty politicians in Washington.

I've always thought Blears to be utterly toxic, this story proves she's drunk so much political punch she no longer even pretends to care about the people.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:51:09 AM »

Ok Hazel you dried up horrific b*tch, no matter what your politics how dare you. She literally reprimands the people at large for being to attracted to someone who attacks the obviously corrupt powers that be (if she herself (Palin) be corrupt too matters not in this instance) She faults the American people of pricking up their ears when someone attacks the s*itty politicians in Washington.

That doesn't seem to be quite what she was getting at. She seems to be trying to explain why someone with the political views of Palin could be so apparently popular. And it isn't a bad little explanation, as your angry reaction demonstrates.

I'm a little surprised that Blears said something so logical though. Must be something in the water.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't think that's true (in most ways Blears is fairly genuine for a career politician. Arguably "somewhat" on the crazy side, and in more ways than one, though), though the argument could be made that it's better for politicians who don't care about the people to at least be honest about their contempt.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:44:05 AM »

I've met Blears and she's a very nice lady.

I gave her my second preference in the deputy leadership vote.

Your remarks, sir, are offensive, including to the people of Salford.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 11:14:13 AM »

Shows she knows as much about the nature of the American public's reaction to politicians as much as she knows about this country's!

Ms Blears is the Zebedee of the Labour Party but lacks the charisma and likeability of the former.

Still, it's nice to get the better of her silly stunts.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3602643.ece
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

Why must Labour be neutral? It doesn't make much sense.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »

Why must Labour be neutral? It doesn't make much sense.

There's a convention that governing parties (and parties that might become governing parties) shouldn't comment on elections, or even domestic politics, in other countries (especially the United States) for fear of upsetting diplomatic relations or whatever. It's a total sham (and hardly ever properly observed, except in the false memories of whisky-addled journalists) based on deluded notions about Britain being anything other than an American missile base in diplomatic terms.

Of course, some party leaders had a much healthier attitude towards politics in other countries.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 04:31:40 PM »

Also, this year Labour sent 'researchers' to the Democratic convention as they do every year. The Tories sent them to both conventions. The relationship between the Conservative and the Republican Party is still frosty. It's also a bit of an open secret that Cameron is enthused by Obama.

At the same time Tory links with the CDU in Germany seem to be increasingly healthy.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »

Ms Blears is the Zebedee of the Labour Party but lacks the charisma and likeability of the former.

Have you met her, afleitch? I have and I'd disagree.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 12:38:46 PM »

Have you met her, afleitch? I have and I'd disagree.

No. But when I meet politicians I have the tendency to think of them in the same light as they were before.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies