VA: SUSA shows a 4-point race...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:19:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  VA: SUSA shows a 4-point race...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VA: SUSA shows a 4-point race...  (Read 1737 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2008, 11:47:55 AM »

...Obama leads McCain, 50%-46%.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=c3b77d5f-0d1a-4f6e-b195-ae05355e8eb8

All eyes on Rasmussen at 6.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »

33% (R) - 37% (D) - 23% (I)

29% (C) - 38% (Moderate) - 15% (Liberal)

The most damning: 44% College Graduate. Although both categories here poll equally.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2008, 11:56:29 AM by Verily »

33% (R) - 37% (D) - 23% (I)

29% (C) - 38% (Moderate) - 15% (Liberal)

The most damning: 44% College Graduate. Although both categories here poll equally.

56% college grads is definitely an overestimate, but they're probably also overestimating McCain's performance among them. (The usual paradigm is that the best group for Republicans are those with some college or only a bachelor's degree, but those who have college degrees includes the very Democratic groups with Master's degrees and higher and generally favors the Democrats as a whole.)

All of this is complicated somewhat by race, though, so the paradigm is more easily applied in very white states and less so in states with large black or Hispanic populations, like Virginia.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »

Nice. Smiley

It appears that John McCain is bleeding an abnormal amount of Republican support here, while Barack's Democratic support is unified.

The party ID numbers are a bit questionable, but not nearly as bad as SurveyUSA's previous general election polls.

Here's hoping this is the return of the SurveyUSA that knocked the ball out of the park in the Democratic primary season.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »

Party affiliation = no.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »

I don't buy it. Party ID is off, and McCain WILL NOT lose 17% of R's. This is just a terrible poll.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:57:54 AM »

If you adjust the party affliation to 35 D, 35 R, 25 I, you get a dead heat.

Not bad for Obama considering the fact that McCain has a national lead and Virginia is a historically Republican state.
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 2.09

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 12:01:07 PM »

This is the same polling company that showed McCain leading by 20% in North Carolina, trash it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 12:01:18 PM »

the 2006 Senate race self-identified at 39R-36D-26I.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 12:05:58 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2008, 12:07:45 PM by Alcon »

It is worth noting one thing about SUSA, though:

You can't just look at 2006 exit polls and dismiss their net partisan affiliation.  Why?  Because SUSA undercounts independents, almost entirely independents with partisan leans -- they tend to be forced into partisan groups.  I think this is because their question is phrased in a way that asks about partisan registration, as opposed to self-identification.  In either case, they get fewer self-identified indies than other organizations.  In the current climate, that can cut two ways:

First, it can inflate Republicans, because it "assigns" Republicans who are reluctant to identify as Republicans.  The effect of this vis a vis other pollsters should decrease over time, as partisan identification becomes more galvanized, as it already has.

Alternatively, it can inflate Democrats, because among independents leaning to either party, Democrats (I believe, as of recently) outnumber Republicans.  Self-identified "pure independents" tend to lean McCain.  This results in a smaller, more Republican, group of independents.  I'm not convinced that this will, or will not, decrease as we get closer to election day.

Effects combined, my general guess is that SUSA assigns more independents as Democrats than Republicans, and McCain-supporting independents are less likely to be assigned as Republicans, than Obama-supporting independents as Democrats.  The net effect:  a higher Democratic partisan affiliation, and a lower Democratic support among independents.

Does that make D+3 reasonable?  Probably not, but it comes closer to explaining it.  I have qualms with SUSA outside of partisan identification, but it shows that SUSA results can't just be given a "dumb weight" to exit poll results.

Another note: Perennial caveat about margin of error on partisan sub-samples.  Here, it's +/-6.0% to 7.6%.
Vsanto5
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: 3.23

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 12:19:46 PM »

This is the same polling company that showed McCain leading by 20% in North Carolina, trash it.

Of course that poll had been an outlier, but I wouldn't trash this one just yet.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 12:22:15 PM »

It is worth noting one thing about SUSA, though:

You can't just look at 2006 exit polls and dismiss their net partisan affiliation.  Why?  Because SUSA undercounts independents, almost entirely independents with partisan leans -- they tend to be forced into partisan groups.  I think this is because their question is phrased in a way that asks about partisan registration, as opposed to self-identification.  In either case, they get fewer self-identified indies than other organizations.  In the current climate, that can cut two ways:

First, it can inflate Republicans, because it "assigns" Republicans who are reluctant to identify as Republicans.  The effect of this vis a vis other pollsters should decrease over time, as partisan identification becomes more galvanized, as it already has.

Alternatively, it can inflate Democrats, because among independents leaning to either party, Democrats (I believe, as of recently) outnumber Republicans.  Self-identified "pure independents" tend to lean McCain.  This results in a smaller, more Republican, group of independents.  I'm not convinced that this will, or will not, decrease as we get closer to election day.

Effects combined, my general guess is that SUSA assigns more independents as Democrats than Republicans, and McCain-supporting independents are less likely to be assigned as Republicans, than Obama-supporting independents as Democrats.  The net effect:  a higher Democratic partisan affiliation, and a lower Democratic support among independents.

Does that make D+3 reasonable?  Probably not, but it comes closer to explaining it.  I have qualms with SUSA outside of partisan identification, but it shows that SUSA results can't just be given a "dumb weight" to exit poll results.

Another note: Perennial caveat about margin of error on partisan sub-samples.  Here, it's +/-6.0% to 7.6%.

Why the conflicting messages?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 12:24:53 PM »

They're not inconsistent.  The 2006 Virginia partisan affiliation was R+3.  I doubt 2008 party affiliation will be as Dem-favorable as 2006.  Even adjusting for SUSA's under-independenting, a six-point swing seems excessive.  Is it ridiculous-dismiss-the-poll stuff?  No, but it probably means they got a sample on the Democratic side of things.  Then again, you can tell that from the result they got compared to other pollsters, really.
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »

Of course that poll had been an outlier, but I wouldn't trash this one just yet.

I guess you are right.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 12:51:13 PM »

Note that the Warner-Gilmore numbers are exactly where they've been in SUSA and other polls for months, include relative to last week's poll where McPalin was leading Obama narrowly.

However, if one was expecting Gilmore to pick up support in line with general Congressional tightening... a not unreasonable expectation, if less likely in this race than in many others.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »

Even though I doubt this poll is legitimate, 538 will weight it pretty high.

Ugh.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 01:23:09 PM »

Virginia will be won by GOTV operations and registration efforts.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »

Virginia will be won by GOTV operations and registration efforts.

I think McCain will win by 3-4 points, simply because of the Demographics of the state.  It isn't trending that much to the Democrats, and I don't think that higher black turnout will attribute to more than an 8 point swing.  Plus, I believe that Obama will lose in the western Appalachian region of the state by a greater margin than Kerry.

VA is likely to be more Democratic by the 2012 election than now.
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »

Ugh.

They will give it the same weight as the Rass. Poll coming out.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 02:06:15 PM »

Ugh.

They will give it the same weight as the Rass. Poll coming out.

Yeah, but depending on what Rasmussen says, it will likely still stabilize more in Obama's favor than without the SUSA poll.
mypalfish
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »

If true, McCain is a goner in November.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »

If true, McCain is a goner in November.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 02:44:34 PM »

You didn't contradict his statement with that. Does this mean you agree that McCain is sure to lose if this is the result in Virginia?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 05:10:57 PM »

Those southeast VA numbers look a little weird. I can understand that Obama has a huge lead in Richmond but what about the Virginia beach area? Are those military people ditching Mccain?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 07:06:33 PM »

Republican 33% (35%): McCain 80% (85%); Obama 17% (11%)

Democrat 37% (36%): McCain 12% (10%); Obama 87% (89%)

Independent 23% (20%): McCain 48% (55%); Obama 44% (34%)

Conservative 29% (35%): McCain 80% (81%); Obama 19% (15%)

Moderate 38% (39%): McCain 38% (37%); Obama 58% (58%)

Liberal 15% (12%): McCain 23% (11%); Obama 75% (88%)

(denotes SUSA, Sep. 5-9, 2008)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies