Can Obama win without Colorado?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:21:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Can Obama win without Colorado?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Yes or No
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Can Obama win without Colorado?  (Read 8056 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2008, 04:16:48 PM »

Assume that Obama fails to win Colorad; does he have a good chance of winning the election?
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 04:21:36 PM »

Winning Colorado is his only realistic chance of winning the election.

If Obama wins Ohio, he likely would have already won Colorado.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 04:26:31 PM »

McCain can't win without winning CO either.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »

He can, but he'd have to win either Ohio or Virginia.

So to answer the question of whether he has a good chance, no. However recent polling does show him ahead in the state; perhaps having the convention there was a wise move.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 05:53:36 PM »

If Obama wins, the most likely path to victory would be Gore 2000 States + NH + CO.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »

His chances of winning Colorado are not very good - maybe 25% or so.  But his chances of winning the election without it are even less.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »

His chances of winning Colorado are not very good - maybe 25% or so.  But his chances of winning the election without it are even less.
who Obama or McCain?

Who wins Ohio wins the nation, unless Obama pulls it out in OH nullifying CO or if McCain prevails in PA.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »

No. and neither can McCain. Whoever does win will win the WH.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:26:50 PM »

who Obama or McCain?

Who wins Ohio wins the nation, unless Obama pulls it out in OH nullifying CO or if McCain prevails in PA.
I do not think that we will win Pennsylvania, just my gut feeling. But, I think that we will pull Ohio by the thinnest of margins.

I meant to say CO, my bad. If CO is won by the GOP than it looks like Gore and Kerry states for the Dems.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 06:29:32 PM »

Unlikely but not too outrageous to suggest he may win with Ohio and not Colorado.

Colorado is looking to be the election-decider this year...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »

who Obama or McCain?

Obama of course.  The black candidate.  McCain the white has the clear advantage.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 06:43:49 PM »

No he cannot and neither can MCcain. Obama should really focus on this state like no other. Nevada and New Mexico should be a good place to visit as well. He should also put in a lot of effort to create a huge GOTV effort in NV. That state has a lot of new people and could act surprisingly.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 07:07:07 PM »

Yup, but it's unlikely.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »

Agreed. However, if Obama loses both Nevada and Colorao to McCain on Election Night he'll need to win either Ohio and Virginia to become 44th President of the United States. Although Obama and McCain are neck-and-neck in both of those states, I have a feeling that McCain will increase his lead over Obama in Ohio and Virginia (though I believe that Obama will narrowly carry Virginia on Election Night) in the coming weeks of the campaign thus increasing the chances of Obama's likeability of winning the White House without Colorado and Nevada.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 07:25:22 PM »

Obama also has to worry about NM, one of the closer states.  It has been "lean Obama," but that might change.

OH and VA are looking increasingly like a Mccain victory.
Vsanto5
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: 3.23

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »

He needs CO, without it Obama and/or McCain will lose the election.  McCain needs CO to win the election period.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 07:56:44 PM »

Both can win without it. McCain is just much more likely to win without it. He has a lot of opportunities elsewhere.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 08:03:26 PM »

Obama can easily win without CO. There's no reason why if he loses CO, he wouldn't be able to win OH or VA. Nevertheless, I do not expect him to lose CO at this time.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »

Obama can easily win without CO. There's no reason why if he loses CO, he wouldn't be able to win OH or VA. Nevertheless, I do not expect him to lose CO at this time.

The reason is that Colorado will be closer to the national average than OH or VA will be.  If Obama loses CO, he will almost certainly lose VA and OH.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »

How is that? I doubt Obama will lose either MI or PA while winning CO. I guess if Mccain takes NM,NH and NV, that would be a way. Pretty unlikely though. Obama could still win OH,FL or VA. He wins just one of those states and he is president. Again this is pretty unlikely as well without already having won CO.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 08:11:11 PM »

The reason is that Colorado will be closer to the national average than OH or VA will be.  If Obama loses CO, he will almost certainly lose VA and OH.

My only concern is that the Palin effect fires up the fundies in CO while Obama's populism turns off voters in the Denver suburbs. Only hispanics could save him in this situation but I doubt that happens. I hope Palin actually turns off voters in metro Denver. We will see.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »

Obama needs to try to build a EV count that doesn't rely on OH and VA, since I mirror many responses here, they will be close.

So Gore + NH + NV = 269. So assuming Obama doesn't win OH or VA, CO will be absolutely VITAL.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 09:37:10 PM »

Obama needs to try to build a EV count that doesn't rely on OH and VA, since I mirror many responses here, they will be close.

So Gore + NH + NV = 269. So assuming Obama doesn't win OH or VA, CO will be absolutely VITAL.

269 = Obama wins in the House unless the Democrats lose 2 state delegations (but the Republicans don't gain 5), in which case Biden wins in the Senate, unless the Democrats lose the Senate.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 09:53:22 PM »

269 = Obama wins in the House unless the Democrats lose 2 state delegations (but the Republicans don't gain 5), in which case Biden wins in the Senate, unless the Democrats lose the Senate.

I know, a win's a win. But I think that's the LEAST preferable to result in that.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »

Does anyone have demographic info to indicate why CO is closer this year. It surprises me since it really wasnt close in 04 - Bush by 6 I believe.  McCain and Obama are both solid with the bases here (and everywhere) and I recently noticed Repubs still outnumber Dems in CO, unlike in states such as Ohio.  What gives that is is so tight?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies