Do you believe the world is going to end in December 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:38:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you believe the world is going to end in December 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Do you believe the world is going to end in December 2012?  (Read 12113 times)
gfev5150
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 10:41:29 AM »

it's not just the Mayan calendar.
a lot of prophets like nostradamus predicted the end of the world at the beginning of the new millenium. seems like a good time for an apocalypse, beginning of a millenium. really sells it. if it was say, 1754 that someone predicted, that'd seem a little random wouldn't it? It'd be tough to take that guy seriously if he said 1754.

the world's not gonna end, it might change though.

2012 isn't random?

i mean saying "beginning of new millenium" isn't random.  and the mayan calendar ends on year 5126 i believe (2012). 5126 is the number at the end of a cycle (it's a complicated cycle indeed).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 11:02:51 AM »

Considering a millenium is a human construct, assuming that a millenium is not an abstract time for the world to end, also entails assuming that humans have tapped into something with their construct.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 02:16:46 PM »

Considering a millenium is a human construct, assuming that a millenium is not an abstract time for the world to end, also entails assuming that humans have tapped into something with their construct.

Like I said earlier, 2012 could be something very mundane to us and have been very important to them. Probably just something interesting astrologically.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »

i swearz i saw jesus that day.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »

No (Smart).
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 04:21:13 PM »

It's like the Y2k problem, except that no computers have been programmed using Mayan dates.

If the Mayans had been such great prognosticators they would have made the end much sooner - as their civilization is long gone.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »

Like I said earlier, 2012 could be something very mundane to us and have been very important to them. Probably just something interesting astrologically.

isn't there a meteor scheduled to pass very close to the earth around that time?
gfev5150
Rookie
United States
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2008, 05:32:33 PM »

isn't there a meteor scheduled to pass very close to the earth around that time?

probably. we're "overdue" for one. Earth usually gets hit every 50 mil years. It's been 61 million since the last one.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 06:20:19 PM »

probably. we're "overdue" for one. Earth usually gets hit every 50 mil years. It's been 61 million since the last one.

Gambler's fallacy
gfev5150
Rookie
United States
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 07:44:32 PM »

Yep, but if there are scientists that expect a meteor on that day then it's a stronger possibility than just being "due". Plus the other way to look at it is we've already made it 61 million years, what's another million more? What's another thousand, or hundred more?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 07:48:12 PM »

Well, I read a couple of things that seemed pretty reliable to say the same thing.  I've never really bought into the end of the world thing, but everything that seems to happen seems like something really bad is coming in 2012

Maybe I'll be elected to something again.  Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2008, 08:07:58 PM »

It's like the Y2k problem, except that no computers have been programmed using Mayan dates.

If the Mayans had been such great prognosticators they would have made the end much sooner - as their civilization is long gone.

Actually they did predict the end of their civilization and they acknowledged they'd be long gone before 2012 came around.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »

My calendar ends in December each year. Then I put up a new one. Perhaps the Mayans were waiting until December 2012 before putting up a new one...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »

No.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 05:06:49 PM »

Man, I really starting to believe this poll shift and/or Obama causing nuclear holocaust thing

My fears about 2012 seems to be getting worse lately
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 07:22:54 PM »

Man, I really starting to believe this poll shift and/or Obama causing nuclear holocaust thing

Seems to me if you're honestly convinced that 2012 is going to be the end of the world, you should be content in that you have no control over the matter, let go, and go enjoy what is presumably the last years of your life having fun with the people you love. Nothing to be afraid of if you can't prevent it Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »

Seems to me if you're honestly convinced that 2012 is going to be the end of the world, you should be content in that you have no control over the matter, let go, and go enjoy what is presumably the last years of your life having fun with the people you love. Nothing to be afraid of if you can't prevent it Smiley

Tik, sometimes you say some profoundly reasonable things. Kudos.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 02:23:36 PM »

No matter what, 12/20/12 is going to be one hell of a day
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2008, 09:03:56 PM »

pole shift seems likely, the obama nuclear problems absolutely not, but some change will prbably happen that will change the Mayan world, even if we dont care
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 11:42:45 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2009, 11:50:47 PM by pbrower2a »

The significance of December 21, 2012 is that the precession of the equinoxes puts the low point of the ecliptic in some dark spot  of Sagittarius. That is close to the direction of the center of the galaxy, and the dark spot is one of the many areas of un-lighted matter in the direction of the center of the galaxy.

Significance? None.

Supposedly the Maya myth holds that all technologies fail at that moment, including the domestication of animals. That implies that Man's Best Friend will lose all affection toward you and think of you as dinner. If there is any truth to the story, you might want to lock up your dogs that day so that they don't show what they have in common with  tigers  -- power, cunning, ferocity, aggression, voracity, agility, and strength. Dogs are infamously unfussy eaters, and all that keeps them from preying upon us is that they recognize us as better food sources alive than dead.  No animal better knows what we taste like than a dog does; it wouldn't lick you so often if you didn't taste so good.

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 11:46:25 PM »

Uh.... No.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 11:49:59 PM »

Depends on whether or not Obama just got re-elected -- that's all.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2009, 12:01:54 AM »

I think that if Arnold Schwarzennger is elected President it'll be the end of the world.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 01:39:42 AM »

So the "world" is going to "end", will there be breasts?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies