Do you believe the world is going to end in December 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:43:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you believe the world is going to end in December 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Do you believe the world is going to end in December 2012?  (Read 12118 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »

I must say I used to think that whole thing was a huge hoax, but I'm starting to buy it
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:22:29 AM »

No, why would it? Just because the Mayan Calendar ended there?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:23:48 AM »

Well, that had me kind of scared.  But then I read an article that the new thing that built to create the black hole could destory the Earth in 4 years.  That combined with increased nuclear tension and other world problems it seems that civilization could ceist to exist quite soon
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »

Well, that had me kind of scared.  But then I read an article that the new thing that built to create the black hole could destory the Earth in 4 years.  That combined with increased nuclear tension and other world problems it seems that civilization could ceist to exist quite soon

The "new thing to create the black hole" isn't designed to create black holes specifically. It's a particle accelerator, not a black hole machine. At most it will create micro-black holes, and if it is capable of creating them then it's not really a big deal because cosmic ray collisions in our atmosphere would have be doing so quite regularly since before humanity even existed.

For crying out loud, DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ. People have been saying X is going to end the world in so many number of years, and when they're proven wrong they move on to Y and then Z when Y doesn't pan out.

The word you're looking for is "cease" btw.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 08:41:30 AM »

Well, I read a couple of things that seemed pretty reliable to say the same thing.  I've never really bought into the end of the world thing, but everything that seems to happen seems like something really bad is coming in 2012
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:49:19 AM »

Well, I read a couple of things that seemed pretty reliable to say the same thing.  I've never really bought into the end of the world thing, but everything that seems to happen seems like something really bad is coming in 2012

You've read things that seem pretty reliable... and? I could probably find a couple of articles that seem pretty reliable on 9/11 being a government conspiracy rather than an act of actual terrorism, that doesn't mean the articles are correct.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 08:51:15 AM »

You've read things that seem pretty reliable... and? I could probably find a couple of articles that seem pretty reliable on 9/11 being a government conspiracy rather than an act of actual terrorism, that doesn't mean the articles are correct.
Your correct on that point.  But you could also find articles that show how al-Qaeda is responsible for 9/11.  The science seemed pretty solid, and the sources were pretty mainstream.  I wonder if they said the "4 years" thing on purpose
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 08:57:12 AM »

The science seemed pretty solid, and the sources were pretty mainstream.  I wonder if they said the "4 years" thing on purpose

That's just it - the science is NOT solid. It only seemed solid because you probably don't actually know much about the science of particle acceleration. The vast majority of scientists in related fields disagree with the assessments in the article you are talking about. I'll trust that they probably know what they're talking about.

Here:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10420927
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 09:00:28 AM »

I can't WAIT until 2013.  Not so I can make fun of the goofballs, no (although that will be a bonus).  I want to find out when the next time the world is going to end.

....and no CERN can't make a black hole that will KILL US ALL!!!!!111one
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »

No. Not even the Mayan calender says it will be the end of the world. It's the end of an "era", whatever will happen in the new era remains to be seen.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 11:18:16 AM »

So, they got sick of predicting the future eerily correctly and decided to freak everyone out, big deal. Tongue

And I'm pretty sure the Mayans didn't deliberately plan an elaborate hoax on us futurelings.

It's probably something astrological that was significant to them in that time but in our time is probably going to be pretty mundane. Though the idea of a pole shift is not out of the question.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 11:41:11 AM »

hope so
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »

I am hoping for the world to end about two seconds before the Chicago Cubs win a world series.  So I can gloat for all eternity. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »

November. I believe it will be in November.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 04:09:18 PM »

I am hoping for the world to end about two seconds before the Chicago Cubs win a world series.  So I can gloat for all eternity. 
Are you a White Sox fan or do you mean after?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »

White Sox fan and Pirates fan.  I hate the Cubs on two levels.  :-)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »

Many scholars believe that the Mayan Long count of 13 Baktun will come to an end on Dec. 20th, 2012. However, the Long count is just a way of representing the date. There are 20 Baktun in a Pictun, 20 Pictun in a Calabtun, and so on. The Mayans would sometimes refer to billions of years.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »

Nope. & when the world doesn't end in 2012, the year will be revised to 2016, & so on.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 05:13:20 PM »

White Sox fan and Pirates fan.  I hate the Cubs on two levels.  :-)
Well, aren't you aware that in fact the Cubs possible World Series win in 2012 as what may cause the world to end?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 05:53:56 PM »

you want the world to end in October 2008?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 06:52:42 PM »

If Ségolène Royal is elected, then yes, the world will end in 2012.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »

I don’t know. I’ve heard a lot about this, but I just can’t see the world actually ending. Now, could there be a change of some sort, on a spiritual level? This I could see, and there’s been a bit of talk saying that 2012 won’t be the end of a world, but the end of an era, or a great reawakening of spirituality, of our connection to the universe. This I could see happening.

But on the whole, I don’t think anything will happen. I do think we’re starting to see a new depth of spirituality in the world, but I doubt this has anything to do with 2012.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 03:10:18 PM »

you want the world to end in October 2008?

Yes, if that's what it takes.  :-)  Just before the decisive game.

GM may wonder, "What about the Steelers?"  But that's it -- that's Heaven.  The Steelers beat the Browns 70 to nothing every Sunday.
gfev5150
Rookie
United States
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 10:45:28 PM »

it's not just the Mayan calendar.
a lot of prophets like nostradamus predicted the end of the world at the beginning of the new millenium. seems like a good time for an apocalypse, beginning of a millenium. really sells it. if it was say, 1754 that someone predicted, that'd seem a little random wouldn't it? It'd be tough to take that guy seriously if he said 1754.

the world's not gonna end, it might change though.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 02:32:24 AM »

it's not just the Mayan calendar.
a lot of prophets like nostradamus predicted the end of the world at the beginning of the new millenium. seems like a good time for an apocalypse, beginning of a millenium. really sells it. if it was say, 1754 that someone predicted, that'd seem a little random wouldn't it? It'd be tough to take that guy seriously if he said 1754.

the world's not gonna end, it might change though.

2012 isn't random?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies