Sarah Palin inquired about removing books from Wasilla library as mayor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 02:51:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Sarah Palin inquired about removing books from Wasilla library as mayor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Sarah Palin inquired about removing books from Wasilla library as mayor  (Read 3747 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2008, 08:38:15 PM »
« edited: September 10, 2008, 08:42:11 PM by Smash255 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0JjDhl_klE
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »

Isn't this two weeks old?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:40:49 PM »

the article was posted on abc news this morning
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:42:59 PM »

Ah, well I watched the YouTube.  The only thing new here is the list of two particular books that her church opposed.  Yeah, for everyone that already knows this story, nothing to see here.

Just because the reporting is new doesn't mean the story hasn't been broken already Wink 
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 08:44:19 PM »

These facts look very bad for Palin.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 08:56:32 PM »

Ah, well I watched the YouTube.  The only thing new here is the list of two particular books that her church opposed.  Yeah, for everyone that already knows this story, nothing to see here.

Just because the reporting is new doesn't mean the story hasn't been broken already Wink 

what were the two books?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »

These facts look very bad for Palin.

How so?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 09:04:33 PM »

what were the two books?

One was Pastor I am Gay, I forget the other one
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 09:05:12 PM »

Not for Palin so much as McCain's campaign. While I doubt it would have much effect on the Republican base or the Democratic base who've already made up their minds, having your veep be someone who is seen as wanting to censor books could make certain swing voters hesitant to vote McCain come November. Most wouldn't bat an eye over censorship of radio or television, but when it comes to books it can be a hot button issue for many.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 09:49:32 PM »

Palin didn't ask for any books to be removed. She inquired what the library policy was, if one requested books to be removed, as a hypothetical. That is a question I might ask.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 10:01:19 PM »

Palin didn't ask for any books to be removed. She inquired what the library policy was, if one requested books to be removed, as a hypothetical. That is a question I might ask.

It doesn't seem like something I would ask unless I had interest in actually doing it. In Palin's case, I find it rather odd that she fired the librarian so soon after getting the "it ain't gonna happen" from the librarian if it was only a hypothetical.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:01:56 PM »

what were the two books?

According to the story, no.  There were no books banned.  Palin asked a hypothetical policy question.

Another examble of "Those mean Democrats and leftwing lapdogs, the liberal meadia attacking sweet Sarah Palin."  BTW, even the librarian agrees that Palin never requested any books banned.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2008, 10:04:44 PM by Lunar »

Did you see my quote?  I never said Palin wanted those books banned.  I only said her ex-church opposed those two books.  There is a decent chance, should she have actually wanted to ban books, that those two books would be the ones targeted at the Wasila library.

I mean, Dibble is right, it's a weird question to ask and it's suspicious that she fired the librarian a couple weeks after the answer for not being loyal enough.  But it's unfair to actually say she wanted any particular book banned.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 10:03:17 PM »

It doesn't seem like something I would ask unless I had interest in actually doing it. In Palin's case, I find it rather odd that she fired the librarian so soon after getting the "it ain't gonna happen" from the librarian if it was only a hypothetical.

I'd want to know the policy.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 10:08:10 PM »

I'm sure it was a simple question, but knowing her rather extreme religious views, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some kind of motive here.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 10:13:14 PM »

Did you see my quote?  I never said Palin wanted those books banned.  I only said her ex-church opposed those two books.

The story indicated that her ex-church and "other conservative Christians" "focused" on the books, not that they ever requested them banned.  

So basically, we have nobody asking for books to be banned.  We have Palin asking a hypothetical question about the book banning policy.  Whole bunch of nothing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 10:33:20 PM »

Palin claims the firing was unrelated. Obviously, she should be asked about this. Her former church was clearly uptight about gays, not doubt about it.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 10:36:44 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2008, 10:39:09 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

Did you see my quote?  I never said Palin wanted those books banned.  I only said her ex-church opposed those two books.

The story indicated that her ex-church and "other conservative Christians" "focused" on the books, not that they ever requested them banned.  

So basically, we have nobody asking for books to be banned.  We have Palin asking a hypothetical question about the book banning policy.  Whole bunch of nothing.

It's shocking that she even broached the topic. Nobody asks "rhetorically" or "hypothetically" if books can be banned, at least not in that setting.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 10:46:31 PM »

It's shocking that she even broached the topic. Nobody asks "rhetorically" or "hypothetically" if books can be banned, at least not in that setting.

She wanted to know the policy, and yes, I would ask that kind of a question.  Bookstores sometime don't carry certain types of books.  Likewise, public libraries, including Wasilla's, according to the librarian, follow "national policy" and "professional standards."  That indicates that there is at least some selection, and some standard.  Some books don't get in.

It is a fair question, and one that I'd expect to be asked.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 10:49:28 PM »

Why did she attempt to fire the librarian soon after being asked?  I mean, it looks suspicious at best.  Most mayors don't ask their librarians this.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 11:03:10 PM »

Why did she attempt to fire the librarian soon after being asked?  I mean, it looks suspicious at best.  Most mayors don't ask their librarians this.

Wanted to clean house, as it where, since she fired the police chief at the same time.  After rescinding that decision, the librarian stayed on for 2 years, though she eventually left.

I wouldn't be too sure if most people that supervise libraries don't ask these types of questions (In PA, mayors have no control over most public libraries.).  I've seen some relatively heated policy discussions on things like this in neighboring Delaware County.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »

what were the two books?

LOL!  EXCELLENT!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »

what were the two books?

LOL!  EXCELLENT!

It's "Pastor, I am Gay", and seems to be about ministering to gay people.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 12:18:53 AM »

Wanted to clean house, as it where, since she fired the police chief at the same time.  After rescinding that decision, the librarian stayed on for 2 years, though she eventually left.

I wouldn't be too sure if most people that supervise libraries don't ask these types of questions (In PA, mayors have no control over most public libraries.).  I've seen some relatively heated policy discussions on things like this in neighboring Delaware County.

But in small towns of ~7,000 people, it's not usually appropriate to fire your local librarian who has been on payroll for 7 years.  I mean, my Mom has been the librarian in our town of 3,000 people, I don't think she'd be easily replaced and that's not even in Alaska.

At the very least:
1) It's a weird question to ask the librarian
2) She [attempted to] fire[d] an enormously popular librarian, so one wonders whether this person needed to be cleaned out.  The librarian was well-liked.
3) She showed poor judgment in both trying to fire a well-liked librarian, but also in doing this right after the librarian rebuffed her regarding censored books.  If Palin strongly agreed with the libarian's anti-censorship position, she would be unwise to fire the librarian at that time, because she would know how it would reflect a pro-censorship position on her.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 12:39:47 AM »

But in small towns of ~7,000 people, it's not usually appropriate to fire your local librarian who has been on payroll for 7 years.  I mean, my Mom has been the librarian in our town of 3,000 people, I don't think she'd be easily replaced and that's not even in Alaska.

Yes it is, when it is basically a political appointment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No it isn't.  It's common.

Again, no.  Popular political employees change with administrations.

First, there was no rebuffing.  Palin asked a general question, and received a general answer.  One site lists this. 

http://librariansagainstpalin.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/politico-9208/

Second, the firing wasn't immediate, it took place a month later.

http://librariansagainstpalin.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/rough-timeline/

This is from an anti Palin site, BTW.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies