Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252338 times)
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2625 on: November 07, 2010, 04:48:30 PM »

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  On the other hand, you do have a point as to the limited aspect of this point.  I do not think we need to, but I can see your issue.  So lets raise it to .01.  Rather than post that immense bill again, I will just edit if it if nobody has an objection.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2626 on: November 07, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »

While we're on the same subject, and to avoid a hypocrisy in the bill, shouldn't we do the same for commercial drivers as well and raise it to 0.01?
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2627 on: November 07, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »

I really hope not.  I think it is in everyone's best interest to have truck drivers etc. absolutely sober when on the road.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2628 on: November 07, 2010, 07:09:25 PM »

I really hope not.  I think it is in everyone's best interest to have truck drivers etc. absolutely sober when on the road.

0.01 is basically absolutely sober.  A BAC of 0.01 isn't going to affect ANYBODY.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2629 on: November 07, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »

0.01 is basically absolutely sober.  A BAC of 0.01 isn't going to affect ANYBODY.
Someone driving such a large vehicle should really have no alcohol in their body, in my opinion.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2630 on: November 07, 2010, 07:48:31 PM »

Someone driving such a large vehicle should really have no alcohol in their body, in my opinion.

You people are acting like a BAC of 0.01 is going to have an effect on people.  If you assume the average trucker weighs 180 pounds (which is probably a good underestimate), we're talking about under half a beer here.  This is not some guy going out and even having a beer.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2631 on: November 07, 2010, 08:13:12 PM »

You people are acting like a BAC of 0.01 is going to have an effect on people.  If you assume the average trucker weighs 180 pounds (which is probably a good underestimate), we're talking about under half a beer here.  This is not some guy going out and even having a beer.

I agree with Inks. If it's .01, they aren't really drinking to drink and not even close to drunk. If they actually go to the bar for a drink, it will be above .01 and obviously there's a whole nother story.

*sigh* I thought I could have opened the vote tonight for this Tongue
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2632 on: November 07, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »

I agree with Inks. If it's .01, they aren't really drinking to drink and not even close to drunk. If they actually go to the bar for a drink, it will be above .01 and obviously there's a whole nother story.

*sigh* I thought I could have opened the vote tonight for this Tongue

My main reasoning is that when you are talking about bus drivers, truck drivers, etc., an absolute sobriety would prevent the attempted calculation of "well i can one beer with dinner as long as I have a full dinner."  Considering the risks, I really hope we can agree to keep this type of driving conduct on an absolute sober basis.  I know I don't want kids being driven by a driver who had even half a beer.

Interesting side note, 15 years ago, cops where I live were allowed to have two beers with lunch.  Many of these guys weigh much more than 180.  Considering the fact they drive, sometimes at high speeds, and of course have guns, thankfully someone realized that was a bad idea.

I think this is in the same realm.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2633 on: November 07, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »

I would formally like to submit that we amend the commercial drivers section to read 0.01.  If that amendment fails, I will still, however, vote for the bill.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2634 on: November 07, 2010, 10:44:02 PM »

I would formally like to submit that we amend the commercial drivers section to read 0.01.  If that amendment fails, I will still, however, vote for the bill.

after Junkie's explanation I agree with you on this as well.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2635 on: November 07, 2010, 10:45:58 PM »

I'd like to reeiterate my opposition to this. I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Junkie. It's difficult enough to operate such large vehicles, and letting them legally drive with some alcohol inside of them, even if it's only a little, puts everyone else out there in more danger.

It only takes 4 votes to override a veto, so if you have those, then by all means, go for it. Smiley
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2636 on: November 07, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »

Voting is now open for the following and will last for 48 hours or until every Assemblyman has voted:

There shall be an amendment to the MIDEAST DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF AN INTOXICANT OR OTHER DRUG ACT amending the commercial drivers section to read 0.01 instead of 0.0.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2637 on: November 07, 2010, 10:50:02 PM »

Aye
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2638 on: November 07, 2010, 10:55:13 PM »

I stand by the Governor on this, and urge a nay vote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2639 on: November 08, 2010, 12:50:08 AM »

AYE
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2640 on: November 08, 2010, 12:50:50 AM »

I'd like to reeiterate my opposition to this. I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Junkie. It's difficult enough to operate such large vehicles, and letting them legally drive with some alcohol inside of them, even if it's only a little, puts everyone else out there in more danger.

It only takes 4 votes to override a veto, so if you have those, then by all means, go for it. Smiley

You would honestly kill the bill on this little bit alone?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2641 on: November 08, 2010, 07:52:18 AM »

You would honestly kill the bill on this little bit alone?

No, I wouldn't kill it. But I'd strongly consider sending it back to y'all with my suggestion.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2642 on: November 08, 2010, 08:12:54 AM »

NAY
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2643 on: November 08, 2010, 07:38:50 PM »

FWIW: Ohio has two different offense re: commercial drivers. One charging OVI with a BAC limit of .04, and a separate less serious offense (but still with potential, though not mandatory, jail time) for having "any detectable or measurable amount of alcohol" in the driver's system.

I may be a little late with this suggestion, but what about adopting an offense for .01 BAC or higher, and another lesser offense for having any detectable amount?

BTW: Not to nag, but there still is that issue of losing federal highway funding unless first time offenders face a minimum $500 fine and repeat offenders at least a $1000 fine. Just reminding.... Wink
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2644 on: November 08, 2010, 08:32:18 PM »

I think my amendment is fine... honestly, I have no problem charging a driver with a 0.02 with a harsh penalty... there's no reason they would ever legitimately have that much alcohol in their system.

As for the funding, I'll introduce an amendment to fix that as soon as we're done with this vote.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2645 on: November 08, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »

BTW: Not to nag, but there still is that issue of losing federal highway funding unless first time offenders face a minimum $500 fine and repeat offenders at least a $1000 fine. Just reminding.... Wink

I have changed it, although I do not agree with mandatory mins for any reason, I do not want to lose federal funding.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2646 on: November 10, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2010, 10:26:04 PM by Governor Tmthforu94 »

It's disappointed that two of our Assemblyman have yet to vote, even though messages have been sent to vote to them. Hopefully they can vote soon so we can get this bill passed quickly.

I'd like to introduce the following legislation. I have no clue on a name for it, so I'll just use something random for now.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2647 on: November 10, 2010, 07:27:58 PM »

The MIDEAST DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF AN INTOXICANT OR OTHER DRUG ACT amendment proposed by Inks has passed.

Aye 2
Nay 1

Sorry I couldn't close this earlier, I was playing at concerts the last few nights with Mark Wood Smiley
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2648 on: November 10, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »

With no objections I will move the DUI bill forward to a final vote.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2649 on: November 10, 2010, 07:34:13 PM »

Agenda

MIDEAST DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF AN INTOXICANT OR OTHER DRUG ACT
a. Vote on the final version

MIDEAST FIREARMS SAFETY ACT
a. Bring to the floor
b. Debate
c. Amend/Modify
d. Vote on final version

The Taxing Abortion Act
a. Bring to the floor
b. Debate
c. Amend/Modify
d. Vote on final version

As it seems we have increased activity (even with decreased Assemblymember activity) I think we should look into making seperate threads for each bill, fully debating and amending them there and then bring them to official votes in teh Mideast Assembly Thread, in order to allow us to be more efficient and move through more legislation in a more timely manner.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies