Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:07:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252305 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2225 on: July 01, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »

Our efforts at game reform are simple, targeted, and the epitome of non-radical.

We seek to consolidate our Constitution and simplify our statute. These are two efforts that will help to fix the game's foundations, make it easier for newbies to enter and participate in the game, and give us the ability to fight for bigger changes down the line. There are years of clutter that we must fix, and this rests on you.

I know that Officepark is skeptical of calling a new ConCon, and I can only offer words I said before:

You don't support constitutional consolidation and statute cleanup? We're talking simple stuff here, dude.

We already toyed around with a consitutional convention a few presidencies ago. It was a disaster.

I'm not convinced that this one will be any more successful, nor that it is in any way desirable to begin with (just like the other one).

Do you listen to anything we say? I'm genuinely curious, because judging from what you're saying it's like you're hearing "ConCon" for the first time.

There are several key differences:

The last ConCon had no specific focus. Pretty much all the proposals were wild redesigns of the game, many of which I hated anyway, but all the proposals were seeking to find a completely different structure to the game, this one will not. The purpose of this ConCon, if we get it, is specifically for constitutional consolidation and only minor modification.

The last ConCon had little to no actual progress in writing new things. A few articles were written for proposals here and there, but this time, we actually have a draft.

The last ConCon involved way too many people. Almost all votes required a quorum, which we could never meet, because we loaded up the ConCon with a ridiculous number of delegates making running the thing and getting anything through it a logistical nightmare. With a pinch of luck, a new ConCon will have less people involved while still maintaining maximum outside imput from citizens.

We are not abolishing regions. We are not changing the game in any radical way. We have not drafted and will not draft an unrecognizable constitution. We will not have ~30 people involved in an official capacity. This is an effort to work within the system, cleaning up the foundation of the game so it is simpler and easier to acclimate to, and setting the stage for future battles that can make the game more interesting without working on the patchwork system we have now.

I think the mere phrase Constitutional Convention has become toxic.

Ugh, it's so true. People hear "Constitutional Convention" and automatically think "vast logistical nightmare composed of ~30 people trying to redesign the entire game that gets nothing done." What people fail to realize is how simple a ConCon really is, and how the structure of a ConCon is decided by the Senate each individual time.

This can work, and it can better the game for us all. So let's all work together to get it done. I ask the Mideast Assembly: Please, pass this petition.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2226 on: July 01, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »

AYE.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2227 on: July 01, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »

Aye
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2228 on: July 02, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »

What are we voting on after ConCon? Since it has in theory, passed.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2229 on: July 02, 2010, 02:56:49 PM »

Our efforts at game reform are simple, targeted, and the epitome of non-radical.

We seek to consolidate our Constitution and simplify our statute. These are two efforts that will help to fix the game's foundations, make it easier for newbies to enter and participate in the game, and give us the ability to fight for bigger changes down the line. There are years of clutter that we must fix, and this rests on you.

I know that Officepark is skeptical of calling a new ConCon, and I can only offer words I said before:

You don't support constitutional consolidation and statute cleanup? We're talking simple stuff here, dude.

We already toyed around with a consitutional convention a few presidencies ago. It was a disaster.

I'm not convinced that this one will be any more successful, nor that it is in any way desirable to begin with (just like the other one).

Do you listen to anything we say? I'm genuinely curious, because judging from what you're saying it's like you're hearing "ConCon" for the first time.

There are several key differences:

The last ConCon had no specific focus. Pretty much all the proposals were wild redesigns of the game, many of which I hated anyway, but all the proposals were seeking to find a completely different structure to the game, this one will not. The purpose of this ConCon, if we get it, is specifically for constitutional consolidation and only minor modification.

The last ConCon had little to no actual progress in writing new things. A few articles were written for proposals here and there, but this time, we actually have a draft.

The last ConCon involved way too many people. Almost all votes required a quorum, which we could never meet, because we loaded up the ConCon with a ridiculous number of delegates making running the thing and getting anything through it a logistical nightmare. With a pinch of luck, a new ConCon will have less people involved while still maintaining maximum outside imput from citizens.

We are not abolishing regions. We are not changing the game in any radical way. We have not drafted and will not draft an unrecognizable constitution. We will not have ~30 people involved in an official capacity. This is an effort to work within the system, cleaning up the foundation of the game so it is simpler and easier to acclimate to, and setting the stage for future battles that can make the game more interesting without working on the patchwork system we have now.

I think the mere phrase Constitutional Convention has become toxic.

Ugh, it's so true. People hear "Constitutional Convention" and automatically think "vast logistical nightmare composed of ~30 people trying to redesign the entire game that gets nothing done." What people fail to realize is how simple a ConCon really is, and how the structure of a ConCon is decided by the Senate each individual time.

This can work, and it can better the game for us all. So let's all work together to get it done. I ask the Mideast Assembly: Please, pass this petition.

There are also other reasons why I'm skeptical of a constitutional convention.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2230 on: July 02, 2010, 03:08:33 PM »

Well, make sure that you don't tell anyone what they are.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #2231 on: July 02, 2010, 03:13:03 PM »

Aye
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2232 on: July 02, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »

In any case, I abstain (but I would have voted Nay previously)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2233 on: July 04, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »

Are we waiting for the final talley and the next bill for any particular reason?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2234 on: July 04, 2010, 03:54:51 PM »

I thank this Assembly for supporting the Convention idea. I know these things are fairly controversial after the last one ended in failure, but I do look forward to a streamlined and organized convention this time around with a clear goal.

Are we waiting for the final talley and the next bill for any particular reason?

My guess is the holiday weekend is keeping people away from Atlasia. I know I haven't exactly been around too much this weekend and have only gotten so much done because I had a lot waiting in the wings.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2235 on: July 04, 2010, 06:50:08 PM »

The ConCon bill passes and is hereby presented to the Governor for his approval.

Now we will begin 48 hours of debate on the Consistency of administration of justice bill.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2236 on: July 04, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »

The basic purpose of this Amendment is just to make things easier - cases occur so infrequently that having someone on staff makes everything easier.  This person still will be reconfirmed semi-regularly, so they could be replaced if it is so desired.  This way, when a case does arise, we don't need to appoint someone; they'll already be there.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2237 on: July 05, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »

The basic purpose of this Amendment is just to make things easier - cases occur so infrequently that having someone on staff makes everything easier.  This person still will be reconfirmed semi-regularly, so they could be replaced if it is so desired.  This way, when a case does arise, we don't need to appoint someone; they'll already be there.

sounds good
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2238 on: July 06, 2010, 07:38:55 PM »

HW, can we get a vote going?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2239 on: July 06, 2010, 08:23:13 PM »

Yes, on the Judiciary bill voting is now open:

AYE
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2240 on: July 06, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »

AYE.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2241 on: July 06, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »

Aye
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2242 on: July 07, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »

Aye.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #2243 on: July 08, 2010, 02:46:39 PM »

Aye
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2244 on: July 09, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »

Hurray that we can get to the budget!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2245 on: July 09, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »

Which I won't get to work on Sad
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2246 on: July 10, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »

This bill is now presented to the Governor for his signature or veto
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2247 on: July 10, 2010, 08:09:14 PM »

Are we ready for the budget? Cheesy
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2248 on: July 10, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »

My fellow Assemblymen, in a few short moments I shall resign my current office and move on to become the next Secretary of External Affairs.  Before I leave, though, I would like to make a short farewell address, which I’m sure you all will not read Wink

First off, I would like to thank Governor Inks for taking a chance and appointing me to the Assembly.  By giving me this job, he has allowed me to rehabilitate myself, going from ignominious felon to semi-respected statesman, and now a Cabinet officer.  I owe him a great debt; he is truly a Statesman.

Second, I want to congratulate you, my present and former colleagues.  You have made my tenure here very enjoyable, and have made this Assembly a truly great deliberative body.  I look forward to monitoring your debate on the budget, which I am sure will be very illuminating Smiley

And so, my friends, all that is left is for me to bid you adieu.  I wish you the best of luck – may Dave continue to watch over this blessed Assembly.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2249 on: July 11, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »

My fellow Assemblymen, in a few short moments I shall resign my current office and move on to become the next Secretary of External Affairs.  Before I leave, though, I would like to make a short farewell address, which I’m sure you all will not read Wink

First off, I would like to thank Governor Inks for taking a chance and appointing me to the Assembly.  By giving me this job, he has allowed me to rehabilitate myself, going from ignominious felon to semi-respected statesman, and now a Cabinet officer.  I owe him a great debt; he is truly a Statesman.

Second, I want to congratulate you, my present and former colleagues.  You have made my tenure here very enjoyable, and have made this Assembly a truly great deliberative body.  I look forward to monitoring your debate on the budget, which I am sure will be very illuminating Smiley

And so, my friends, all that is left is for me to bid you adieu.  I wish you the best of luck – may Dave continue to watch over this blessed Assembly.

Adieu, Benjamin, and may you do well in your new position.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies