Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:59:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252565 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: January 10, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »

I've decided to re-submit this as an Amendment:
Mideast Anti-Troll Amendment
1.   All people on the “Troll List” shall be barred from holding office in the Mideast Region and voting in the Mideast Region.
2.   The “Troll List” shall be defined as the list kept by the Moderators on the main Atlas Fantasy Board until the title, “Troll List.”
3.   This law shall not apply to people posted on the “Troll List” at the time of the signing of this legislation.
4.   Any person removed from the Troll List shall have their voting privileges reinstated.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #1601 on: January 10, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »

I oppose this as well. Just because somebody is "listed" as a troll does not mean they cannot become a great Assemblymen/Governor/ etc. Nor should it mean they have their voting rights taken away.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1602 on: January 12, 2010, 04:39:44 AM »

1.   All people on the “Troll List” shall be barred from holding office in the Mideast Region and voting in the Mideast Region.
2.   The “Troll List” shall be defined as the list kept by the Moderators on the main Atlas Fantasy Board until the title, “Troll List.”
3.   This law shall not apply to people posted on the “Troll List” at the time of the signing of this legislation.
4.   Any person removed from the Troll List shall have their voting privileges reinstated.

Since there has been no debate on this amendment for the last 24 hours, I now move to a vote.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1603 on: January 12, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »

AYE.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1604 on: January 13, 2010, 12:00:56 AM »

Nay
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1605 on: January 13, 2010, 12:01:19 AM »

Since there has been no debate on this amendment for the last 24 hours, I now move to a vote.

Abstain.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #1606 on: January 13, 2010, 01:15:11 AM »

Abstain
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1607 on: January 13, 2010, 06:17:39 AM »

Nay

The amendment fails.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1608 on: January 29, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »

Alright, let's get to work!
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1609 on: January 29, 2010, 12:14:33 PM »

Actually I have to adjourn the old Assembly first, and the the Dean (True Conservative) has to open it and arrange for the election of a Speaker. But I like your anthusiasm Smiley

Anyway, I herby declare the 9th Assembly adjourned Sine Die.

Best of luck guys. I'm looking forward to seeing what legislation you'll come up with.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1610 on: January 29, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »

As Dean of the Assembly I declare the 10th Mideast Assembly in session. I urge my fellow assemblymen to swear in so that we can begin the process of electing a Speaker. Your nominations for the position are welcome.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1611 on: January 29, 2010, 02:27:38 PM »

Actually I have to adjourn the old Assembly first, and the the Dean (True Conservative) has to open it and arrange for the election of a Speaker. But I like your anthusiasm Smiley

Yeah, I know - that was my prompting to get everybody sworn in and all.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1612 on: January 29, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »

I nominate Inks for the position of Speaker of our new Assembly.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1613 on: January 30, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »

I nominate Inks for the position of Speaker of our new Assembly.

Seconded by me.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1614 on: January 30, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »

24 hours have passed and only the only person to have been nominated was Inks.LWC. Therefore, he shall be our Speaker for the 10th Assembly.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1615 on: January 30, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »

I thank the Assembly, and I happily accept the position.  I now open the floor for submission of bills, resolutions, or any other Assembly business.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1616 on: January 31, 2010, 09:41:26 AM »

First, I'd like to congratulate our Governor for his election. As an experienced Assemblyman and a clever, fair and moderate Speaker, I'm sure he will do a great job as Governor.
I'm sure he will stick to his bipartisan behaviour and he will try to seek the general interest of the whole Mideast region.

Second, I'd like to congratulate Inks for his swift election to the speakership of our Assembly. I trust him to be a fair and efficient speaker, able to organize and manage our debates and votes.

To begin with, I'd like the new Assembly to discuss and vote on this constitutional amendment that I've already put forward in another session.

The Eminent Domain Statute only deals with PUBLIC entities using or taking private property, not with PRIVATE entities taking or trying to take or using without being allowed private property of another else.

So, I think we need a higher protection for private properties against PRIVATE attempts to dminish it:

Protection of Private Property Amendment to the Third Mideast Constitution

I. The words "private properties," are included after the word "houses," in the clause 11. of Article V of the Third Mideast Constitution.

II. The clause 13. of Article V of the Third Mideast Constitution is amended to read:

"13. Private property shall not be taken or used by another private legal entity. Private property shall not be taken by a public legal entity for public use, without just compensation."

Thank you for your attention, my fellow Assemblymen.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1617 on: January 31, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »

BBF, how would you define "private property" and "private entity?"
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1618 on: January 31, 2010, 01:23:28 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Taken literally, this could have a different meaning to the one intended - i.e. it removes the right of private parties to exchange goods, form contracts, make gifts, etc.

Furthermore, even just focused on the intent that is intended, I fail to see why the Constitution should be used to regulate the actions of private parties interacting, unless its something grotesque like slavery, which I don't believe this is. Ultimately, any party has the right to go to Court through the many statutes that exist to protect private property from effective theft, not to mention a right at common law.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1619 on: January 31, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »

I don't really see why we would need this.  Eminent domain really only deals with public entities (at least that was my understanding).
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1620 on: February 01, 2010, 03:38:24 AM »

BBF, how would you define "private property" and "private entity?"

Do I have to define "private property" more than it is defined in the Constitution ?
Everything (real-estate, movables, software, etc) that is owned by a legal entity that is not public.

As for private entity, I mean legal entity that is not a public one: individuals, associations (clubs, leagues, political parties, etc), businesses.

I'm sorry if I'm not very clear in English. I have indeed a big problem with legal language... although I precisely see what I mean in French, of course Wink
I'm open to any suggestion of course.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Taken literally, this could have a different meaning to the one intended - i.e. it removes the right of private parties to exchange goods, form contracts, make gifts, etc.

Furthermore, even just focused on the intent that is intended, I fail to see why the Constitution should be used to regulate the actions of private parties interacting, unless its something grotesque like slavery, which I don't believe this is. Ultimately, any party has the right to go to Court through the many statutes that exist to protect private property from effective theft, not to mention a right at common law.

You're right, it's not at all well written.
Depending on how the debate keeps on, I can amend my own proposal:
"13. Private property shall not be taken or used by another private legal entity without owner's agreement. Private property shall not be taken by a public legal entity for public use, without just compensation."
Any other suggestion is welcome.

On the other point, of course, it's the Constitution, but it's the Bill of Rights. If the Bill of Rights deals with the protection of private property against public interferences, I think it can, it should, deal with interferences from other private entities.

Maybe it's a very continental European viewpoint, but that's the way the French Declaration of Human Rights works.

I know there isn't any big problem in the US with Gipsies' taking private properties, but it's a real problem in Europe, even though political correctness implies you must see them as a poor minority everywhere, even if you're not in Romania, Hungary or Slovakia.

The Internet piracy or the abusive use of private data for private use are other examples of widespread infringements on private property, that require the biggest possible protection.
Judgements of Courts may change and may not be enough to guarantee the right to private property.
And, of course, Statute Laws can be amended far more easily than constitutional rules. So, I think they are not enough.

I don't really see why we would need this.  Eminent domain really only deals with public entities (at least that was my understanding).
That's precisely the problem I have with this: it only deals with public entities using or taking private property, not with private entities taking or trying to take or use, without being allowed, private property of another people.
My problem isn't only with government potential infringements but also with private breaches of private property.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1621 on: February 03, 2010, 08:07:13 AM »

Protection of Private Property Amendment to the Third Mideast Constitution

I. The words "private properties," are included after the word "houses," in the clause 11. of Article V of the Third Mideast Constitution.

II. The clause 13. of Article V of the Third Mideast Constitution is amended to read:

"13. Private property shall not be taken or used by another private legal entity without owner's agreement. Private property shall not be taken by a public legal entity for public use, without just compensation."

Without any other suggestion, this is the amended version I submit to the Assembly.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1622 on: February 03, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »

That works for me.  Discussion is now open on the amended version of the Amendment.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1623 on: February 07, 2010, 11:02:32 AM »

*Cough* *cough*

big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine