Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:57:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252365 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: September 11, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »

I object to the vote currently taking place.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1151 on: September 11, 2009, 06:58:51 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 07:01:05 PM by Badger »

I object to the vote currently taking place.
May I ask why, and on what grounds? If you have an objection to the bill please feel free to state it, as is your right as a Mideastern citizen.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1152 on: September 11, 2009, 07:01:01 PM »

Aye

And I second Badger's question to True Conservative. I was just about to ask the same thing. 
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1153 on: September 11, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 07:04:04 PM by True Conservative »

Constitutional grounds. The governor is allowed a week to sign or veto, and the bill has already passed on September the eighth.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1154 on: September 11, 2009, 07:02:34 PM »

Constitutional grounds. The governor is allowed a week to sign or veto.

That is not what we're voting on
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1155 on: September 11, 2009, 07:05:02 PM »

Constitutional grounds. The governor is allowed a week to sign or veto, and the bill has already passed on September the eighth.

Well they are having a vote on the dog breed bill I believe and I don't see why the Governor can not have more than one bill to sign at a time.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1156 on: September 11, 2009, 07:07:07 PM »

If so, I stand corrected. I did not realize that that was the bill being discussed.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1157 on: September 13, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »

Bump!

Where did people go? This term ends soon, we gotta get things moving. Wink

As soon as Peter has voted on the Dog Bill, I would propose that we have a vote wether to override Inks recent veto or not.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1158 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47:29 PM »

After a few days of consideration, I have decided to veto the bill.  I just don't think we should be spending government money on it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1159 on: September 14, 2009, 07:30:15 AM »

After a few days of consideration, I have decided to veto the bill.  I just don't think we should be spending government money on it.
<sigh> Very disappointing.

I move to override the grubenatorial veto of the Atlasian Public Health Bill (or whatever the official name of Peter's bill is).

There should be NO doubt whatsoever this bill will save government money.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1160 on: September 14, 2009, 09:33:47 AM »

I thank Inks.LWC for making the right decision.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1161 on: September 14, 2009, 10:02:21 AM »

Thank you Badger, very well said. I am completely behind this bill.

As the son of a dog breeder, who has spent my entire life surrounded by big packs of dogs (My parents, and sister currently own seven together) I am very much aware that most breeds are bred just for the reason to create certain characteristics that the owner find useful. Some dogs are natural hunters, others have basic instics telling them to herde sheep, some will be prone to guarding, and quite a few are suppose be cute and cuddly. This is true.

However the fact that certain breeds have certain talants, does not mean all dogs of that breed will have the same temper or personality. Because just like with humans, it is not our genes who makes us who we are, but the way we were raised and under which circumstances.

Therefore, a dog's behaviour, and wether it turns out to be aggressive or not, has much more to do with its owner than its breed.

I have seen supposebly cute and lovely cocker spaniels turn into horrefying monsters due to bad owners, and I have seen Pitbulls calm and sweet as sheep with the right owner.

Now the reason that some breeds seem to be more agressive has to do with traits. Some breeds have indeed been bred as potential attack dogs in war and battle. Others are meant to be dominating. That is the reason many unexperienced owners who are not well schooled in how to raise a dog, might have more trouble with a pitbull than a dachshund for say. That is however no just cause to punish the owners who very well know what they're doing, and who raise wonderful dogs of the brand pitbull, staffordshire terrier, and American pit bull terrier.

I don't think the goverment should get to decide which kinds of dogs get to live and which get to die. As Big Bad Fab said only a few pages ago:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I haven't seen this before...
But I can't let our fine Swedish Cheese use my words on one proposal to justify another one.
Clever but not very "clean" quote ! Wink Tactics, tactics...

Yes, I think we must rely on personal responsibility first.

Sexual matters are, first, private matters. If you aren't "responsible" in your sexual behaviour (in the case referred to by the proposal), you may be the first victim yourself.
(of course, there is the case of rape, but I don't think the government will be able to control if the rapist is using condoms freely distributed by the official administration...).

In the case of your dogs proposal, if the dog breeder or the dog owner aren't responsible, it's ANOTHER people that may be a victim.

So, you CAN'T compare the 2.
The government is legitimate (even if not bound) to intervene when personal irresponsibility may harm OTHERS.
This is a big difference...
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1162 on: September 14, 2009, 11:45:20 AM »

On the Dog Bill, Abstain.

The bill is transmitted to the President for his signature or veto.

The motion to override the veto is recognised and is given a minimum of 24 hour debate time.

I feel the bill should pass for the many reasons that I proposed it - the bill will reduce STDs and unwanted pregnancies. I cannot believe that there are pro-life conservatives who would oppose reducing unwanted pregnancies. I did my very best to make the bill appealing to those conservatives by only including barrier contraception and not a drug that would kill an embryo however early in development. Many of you speak about "personal responsibility" - by choosing to use contraception the couple are exercising this responsibility - sadly there will still be many who do not avail themselves of this service.

From an economic perspective, ultimately it will save money for the economy of the Mideast Region due to more people able to work because not off work sick, and thus increase tax revenues, albeit marginally.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1163 on: September 15, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »

There has been no further debate.

The vote is to override the veto of the Sexual Health Bill.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1164 on: September 15, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »

There has been no further debate.

The vote is to override the veto of the Sexual Health Bill.

Aye
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1165 on: September 15, 2009, 02:11:56 PM »

Aye.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1166 on: September 15, 2009, 03:28:30 PM »

Aye.

The motion carries and the veto of the Governor is overriden.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1167 on: September 17, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »

On the Dog Bill, Abstain.

The bill is transmitted to the President for his signature or veto.

The Governor has been signed.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1168 on: September 17, 2009, 09:06:34 AM »

So is Peter not runnng for reelection as a WI like he normally does? lol
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1169 on: September 17, 2009, 03:10:11 PM »

I'm afraid that of late I have become very discontented with Atlasia. Recently I have only tended to the forum to see to my duties as Speaker. I have no desire to continue that on a prolonged basis.

The use of what us older posters would call tomato-souping, and the newer posters, zombie voting, has become politically acceptable, and I think that destroys a lot of what made Atlasia a great place.

I now seek a peaceful retirement from Atlasia and the forum at large. Whilst I confess I will likely post next Spring in the run-up to the general election in the UK, that will probably be the height of my participation.

To my successors as Speaker and Assemblymen, I wish you all the luck in the world. The curtain has fallen, its time to get off the stage, and its exactly what I intend to do.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1170 on: September 17, 2009, 03:11:34 PM »

I'm afraid that of late I have become very discontented with Atlasia. Recently I have only tended to the forum to see to my duties as Speaker. I have no desire to continue that on a prolonged basis.

The use of what us older posters would call tomato-souping, and the newer posters, zombie voting, has become politically acceptable, and I think that destroys a lot of what made Atlasia a great place.

I now seek a peaceful retirement from Atlasia and the forum at large. Whilst I confess I will likely post next Spring in the run-up to the general election in the UK, that will probably be the height of my participation.

To my successors as Speaker and Assemblymen, I wish you all the luck in the world. The curtain has fallen, its time to get off the stage, and its exactly what I intend to do.

Wow. This is quite shocking. I'm sad to see you leave, but hopefully you don't stay gone too long. We appreciate your long history of Atlasian service.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1171 on: September 17, 2009, 03:12:02 PM »

That is too bad. Not that you intend to step down--but that you intend to leave Atlasia and the forum completely.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1172 on: September 17, 2009, 03:24:30 PM »

Really sad to hear that you'll be leaving the forum as a whole - I'd like to see you stay in Atlasia, but you leaving the forum is just sad to hear.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1173 on: September 17, 2009, 03:27:54 PM »

Our first Atlasian gone..... Cry
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1174 on: September 17, 2009, 03:41:09 PM »

This will be a great loss to Atlasia, and especially this region.

It has been great working with you in the Assembly, and I have learned a lot just by watching you. I wish you the best of luck, and hope that sometime in the future you'll make a come back, to the forum and to Atlasia.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies