Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:07:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252205 times)
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: May 05, 2009, 10:06:20 AM »

Rewritten:
 1. All forms of abortion are banned in the Mideast.
     i. Abortion is defined as the premature and intentional termination of a pregnancy not due to a risk that could cause serious damage to the mother or the fetus.
2. The punishment for committing said crime would be (Huh)

I would like it to be changed to the following, otherwise I'm going to vote against it.

Mideast Abortion Staute II

1: No abortions shall be permitted after the First trimester of a pregnancy except in the cases of threat to the mother's health or a pregnancy caused by rape and/or incest.
2: No female under the age of 18 years old shall be permitted to have an abortion without a parent/guardian consent.
3: Any individual who induces a prohibited abortion shall have any existing license from the Mideast Region or a subdivision thereof to practice a medical profession revoked for up to five years.
4: Any individual who induces a prohibited abortion shall be sentenced to up to one year in prison and/or a fine of up to $250,000. Any person knowingly facilitating the inducement of a prohibited abortion shall be subject to a criminal fine of up to $100,000 and/or six months in prison.
5: The Mideast Abortion Statute is hereby repealed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #676 on: May 05, 2009, 12:38:58 PM »

Why not leave the current statute?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #677 on: May 05, 2009, 01:10:15 PM »

EDIT: Also, Roe v. Wade would have to be overturned by the court for this to be valid (unless there's been a more recent case in Atlasia).
The precedent has been largely ignored in Atlasia, and nobody has ever gone to court to attempt to enforce it.

I cannot support a total ban.

I am happy with the existing consensus of the Abortion Statute, however, I am willing to work to achieve the best possible outcome.

My view on Dan's bill is that we should not tie a parental consent requirement to a general tightening of the time limit. I also feel that the time limit should be explicitly stated in days, though I am open to persuasion on this point.

The amendment proposed by Dan will go to vote in 24 hours, unless Persepolis accepts it as friendly before hand.
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #678 on: May 05, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »

Accepted as friendly.

I agree that Dan's version would provide a more concise definition, and would also provide some compromise to those who disagree with my original bill.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #679 on: May 05, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »

I favour keeping the Mideast Abortion Statute intact and I still plan to take whatever is passed to a public vote.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #680 on: May 05, 2009, 08:54:46 PM »

Agreed, I do not see a huge amount of difference.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #681 on: May 06, 2009, 06:25:53 AM »

I would not oppose Dan's piece of legislation....nor would I oppose keeping the existing legislation.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #682 on: May 06, 2009, 07:57:10 AM »

Because this new one moves the timing up and I wanted sec 2 to be added.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #683 on: May 06, 2009, 12:39:22 PM »

The legislation stands as:

1: No abortions shall be permitted after the First trimester of a pregnancy except in the cases of threat to the mother's health or a pregnancy caused by rape and/or incest.
2: No female under the age of 18 years old shall be permitted to have an abortion without a parent/guardian consent.
3: Any individual who induces a prohibited abortion shall have any existing license from the Mideast Region or a subdivision thereof to practice a medical profession revoked for up to five years.
4: Any individual who induces a prohibited abortion shall be sentenced to up to one year in prison and/or a fine of up to $250,000. Any person knowingly facilitating the inducement of a prohibited abortion shall be subject to a criminal fine of up to $100,000 and/or six months in prison.

I motion to strike Clause 2.

24 hours debate is open. Vote in 24 hours unless there is significant debate which is worthy of continuation

My reasons are simple - I feel that parental consent should be in a separate piece of legislation, and should contain a judicial waiver option for extreme situations.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #684 on: May 06, 2009, 01:38:14 PM »

What's our civil union legislation? At what age can someone have a civil union? Obviously if it's 16 etc...
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #685 on: May 06, 2009, 01:42:15 PM »

I would like a clause involving the paternal contributor in the decision, with clauses excluding forceful impregnation or sperm donors.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #686 on: May 06, 2009, 02:13:34 PM »

24 hours debate is open. Vote in 24 hours unless there is significant debate which is worthy of continuation

My reasons are simple - I feel that parental consent should be in a separate piece of legislation, and should contain a judicial waiver option for extreme situations.

I'm willing to take it out, as long as we make sure we piece together another legislation with it in it. Also I am willing to work with the age.
persepolis

« Reply #687 on: May 06, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »

If the marriage age stands at 18, then it would obviously mean that the age of parental consent would have to drop to 16 also. That is the only change I believe needs to be made with clause 2.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #688 on: May 07, 2009, 03:39:30 PM »

This needs to go to vote today.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #689 on: May 08, 2009, 12:52:17 PM »

The vote is on the motion. Please vote; Vote open for 48 hours or until conclusive majority.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #690 on: May 08, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »

Aye
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #691 on: May 08, 2009, 03:58:07 PM »

Aye
persepolis

« Reply #692 on: May 08, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »

Aye
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #693 on: May 09, 2009, 02:35:43 AM »

If all of you supported the motion, why didn't you just accept it as a friendly amendment?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #694 on: May 09, 2009, 07:59:34 AM »

The motion carries. The bill now stands as:

2: Any individual who induces a prohibited abortion shall have any existing license from the Mideast Region or a subdivision thereof to practice a medical profession revoked for up to five years.
3: Any individual who induces a prohibited abortion shall be sentenced to up to one year in prison and/or a fine of up to $250,000. Any person knowingly facilitating the inducement of a prohibited abortion shall be subject to a criminal fine of up to $100,000 and/or six months in prison.
4: The Mideast Abortion Statute is hereby repealed.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #695 on: May 09, 2009, 08:03:18 AM »

If all of you supported the motion, why didn't you just accept it as a friendly amendment?

I was think the same thing after the voting started, but oh well.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #696 on: May 09, 2009, 08:06:42 AM »

The motion carries. The bill now stands as:

2: Any individual who induces a prohibited abortion shall have any existing license from the Mideast Region or a subdivision thereof to practice a medical profession revoked for up to five years.
3: Any individual who induces a prohibited abortion shall be sentenced to up to one year in prison and/or a fine of up to $250,000. Any person knowingly facilitating the inducement of a prohibited abortion shall be subject to a criminal fine of up to $100,000 and/or six months in prison.
4: The Mideast Abortion Statute is hereby repealed.

Should we go ahead and vote on it?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #697 on: May 09, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »

There is a motion to proceed to vote. Does Persepolis object?
persepolis

« Reply #698 on: May 09, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »

No objection.

Aye
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #699 on: May 10, 2009, 05:53:58 AM »

The vote is on the bill above. Persepolis has voted Aye.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies