Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:10:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252586 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: April 07, 2009, 06:29:21 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/First_Amendment_to_the_Second_Constitution

The right to keep and bear arms and low potency explosives shall not be infringed. It's unconstitutional.

And for the record, that isn't current. The Third Constitution of the Mideast states: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms of a nature reasonable for self defense shall not be infringed."

This law just goes forward in defining exactly what that means.

That's the national Constitution he quoted, not the Mideast.

Alright, I may want to look more into this then before we consider passage of any law. Being that afleitch is going away for a few days and I will be away from Wednesday night to Saturday night, it doesn't seem like now is the time to look for any controversial bills. We will table this for now. If anyone has some easy book cleaning legislation now is a good time.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #601 on: April 07, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »

I think that the time has come to change the region's capital.  College Park seems like a small and arbitry choice.  I would propose some place in the center of our region such as Columbus or Indianapolis.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #602 on: April 07, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »

I think that the time has come to change the region's capital.  College Park seems like a small and arbitry choice.  I would propose some place in the center of our region such as Columbus or Indianapolis.
Someone's a copy cat Tongue

The reason we did it, and had been trying so long, is because we wanted to proclaim ourselves a new and reborn region.  Are you running for the history of the Mideast?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #603 on: April 07, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »

I had actually just been thinking about this, especially how tucked away the capital is. How about we give each incoming Governor the right to move the capital wherever he so chooses. This can only be done once by each non-incumbent Governor. Or we could setup a roaming thing where it changes each month or each gubernatorial election cycle.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #604 on: April 07, 2009, 10:22:04 PM »

I had actually just been thinking about this, especially how tucked away the capital is. How about we give each incoming Governor the right to move the capital wherever he so chooses. This can only be done once by each non-incumbent Governor. Or we could setup a roaming thing where it changes each month or each gubernatorial election cycle.

I don't think a moving captail is a good idea, to much work trying to keep up with where it is. Why not Louisville, KY??
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #605 on: April 07, 2009, 10:24:19 PM »

I would say VA, as it is our most populous state. Of course, it also happens to be where I reside, but ya know... Tongue
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #606 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:26 PM »

I would say VA, as it is our most populous state. Of course, it also happens to be where I reside, but ya know... Tongue

I say come up with a list of cities and let the Mideast Citizens vote on it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #607 on: April 07, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »

Resolution for the Relocation of the Mideast Capital

Whereas, the Mideast Assembly believes that the Capital of the Mideast shall be moved from its current location of College Park, MD;

Whereas, there are a number of large, centrally located cities in the Mideast appropriate for the locale of the Mideast Capital, Governor's Mansion and Assembly Chamber;

We resolve that the Governor shall open a public Voting Booth at his discrepancy, within twenty days, to allow the people of the Mideast to choose a new Capital from the following list of candidates:
1. Indianapolis, IN
2. Richmond, VA
3. Columbus, OH
4. Louisville, KY
5. Lansing, MI

How does that look?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #608 on: April 07, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »

Looks good to me.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #609 on: April 08, 2009, 06:58:35 AM »

I will oppose any attempt to move the capital from Maryland!
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #610 on: April 08, 2009, 09:05:55 AM »

Knew that one was coming... I was pretty shocked that HW came up with the idea in the first place. I guess some just don't like having the capital so close to home.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #611 on: April 08, 2009, 11:17:02 AM »

Knew that one was coming... I was pretty shocked that HW came up with the idea in the first place. I guess some just don't like having the capital so close to home.

No, I'd like it to remain in Maryland.  However College Park just seems like such an arbitrary locale.  Why not Annapolis if it has to be in Maryland?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #612 on: April 08, 2009, 12:37:36 PM »

No, I'd like it to remain in Maryland.  However College Park just seems like such an arbitrary locale.  Why not Annapolis if it has to be in Maryland?

I wouldn't mind Annapolis or Baltimore (it could help clean up the city).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #613 on: April 08, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »

We should move the capital to Richmond.  It's in the most populous state, but I'm also fine with having a general resolution.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #614 on: April 08, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »

I wouldn't mind Annapolis or Baltimore (it could help clean up the city).

I don't care which but could you add one of them to the resolution?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #615 on: April 08, 2009, 03:56:45 PM »

Updated version:

Whereas, the Mideast Assembly believes that the Capital of the Mideast shall be moved from its current location of College Park, MD;

Whereas, there are a number of large, centrally located cities in the Mideast appropriate for the locale of the Mideast Capital, Governor's Mansion and Assembly Chamber;

We resolve that the Governor shall open a public Voting Booth at his discrepancy, within twenty days, to allow the people of the Mideast to choose a new Capital from the following list of candidates:
1. Baltimore, IN
2. Richmond, VA
3. Columbus, OH
4. Louisville, KY

Does anyone have further comment? I'm not going to bring this to a vote until Saturday because I won't be able to access internet in about 2 hours. So feel free to continue discussion.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #616 on: April 08, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »

Wouldn't that incur massive amount of debt from constantly moving your capitol, the people stationed there, and all the buildings?
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #617 on: April 08, 2009, 06:05:48 PM »

Wouldn't that incur massive amount of debt from constantly moving your capitol, the people stationed there, and all the buildings?

The cool thing is the fact that this is a sim and that doesn't matter.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #618 on: April 08, 2009, 06:09:08 PM »

Updated version:

1. Baltimore, IN
2. Richmond, VA
3. Columbus, OH
4. Louisville, KY

Does anyone have further comment? I'm not going to bring this to a vote until Saturday because I won't be able to access internet in about 2 hours. So feel free to continue discussion.

What if we don't want to change capitals? What if we don't like any of those cities? What will we vote for?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #619 on: April 08, 2009, 07:56:59 PM »

What if we don't want to change capitals? What if we don't like any of those cities? What will we vote for?

True, let's put our current Capital as an option too.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #620 on: April 09, 2009, 01:10:29 AM »

The cool thing is the fact that this is a sim and that doesn't matter.

If we all had that mentality, nothing would get done here.

Besides, Atlasia is real, just like Santa!
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #621 on: April 09, 2009, 06:37:34 AM »

Updated version:

1. Baltimore,INMD
2. Richmond, VA
3. Columbus, OH
4. Louisville, KY

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #622 on: April 11, 2009, 08:51:45 PM »

^^^ Wow I can't believe I did that.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking that would fly.

True, let's put our current Capital as an option too.

I figure a NOTA option would work for that. But I am willing to place "no change" as an option.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #623 on: April 12, 2009, 11:22:09 AM »

Okay, this is what we are looking at for the final legislation.

1. Baltimore,MD
2. Richmond, VA
3. Columbus, OH
4. Louisville, KY
5. College Park, MD (no change)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #624 on: April 13, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »

I bring the following resolution to a vote. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

1. Baltimore,MD
2. Richmond, VA
3. Columbus, OH
4. Louisville, KY
5. College Park, MD (no change)

Aye
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies