Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:06:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252580 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: April 06, 2009, 02:47:39 AM »

Both bills have been signed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #576 on: April 06, 2009, 11:09:53 AM »

Next on the agenda is a gun control law. Obviously it can't be way too restrictive, but people should only be allowed to have guns that would be needed for nothing more than defensive purposes. Does anyone know a fair deal about gun control laws and what kind of law this would need.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #577 on: April 06, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Something like this?

Gun Control Act of 2009

1. All automatic firearms shall be banned.
2. Any citizen falling under the list below shall not buy, sale or own a firearm:
     a. Any person who has been incarcerated for any reason
     b. Any person who has an assault on their record going by 8 years
     c. Any person who has is mentally unstable.
3. Any person wanting to buy, sale or own a gun must apply for a gun permit.
    a. The cost for a gun permit shall be $250.
    b. Any person applying for a gun permit must have a background check and undergo psychological testing to see if they are mentally stable to own, buy or sale a gun.
    c.  Any person under the age of 21 shall not own, buy or sale a gun.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #578 on: April 06, 2009, 02:16:41 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2009, 03:08:18 PM by Mideast Assembly Speaker Purple State »

How does this look? Any thoughts?

The Mideast Gun Safety Act

1. All automatic firearms, rocket projectiles, and grenades shall be banned from sale or use in the Mideast.
2. The following restrictions shall be implemented for all firearms sold in the Mideast upon purchase:
   a. The firearm must be registered to a residency occupied by the owner
   b. The owner must be fingerprinted
   c. The owner must supply a current Driver's License or government issued identification
   d. The owner must supply a confirmed Social Security Number
   e. The owner mus submit to a government-run physical and mental examination for approval to own a firearm
   f. Any change of ownership through private or public sale must be reported
   g. Reasonable assurances and precautions must be provided to ensure that no person under the age of 21 shall have access to the firearm
3. Failure to comply with any of the above restrictions shall result in imprisonment for no more than one year per infraction.
4. This law shall not apply to any on-duty military or police personnel, or in the event that a citizen has received a written waiver approved by the Assembly and signed by the Governor.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #579 on: April 06, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »

1. All automatic firearms, rocket projectiles, and grenades shall be banned from sale or use in the Mideast.
2. The following restrictions shall be implemented for all firearms sold in the Mideast upon purchase:
   c. The owner must supply a current Driver's License
   e. The owner mus submit to a government-run physical and mental examination for approval to own a firearm
   g. Reasonable assurances and precautions must be provided to ensure that no person under the age of 21 shall have access to the firearm
3. Failure to comply with any of the above restrictions shall result in imprisonment for no more than one year per infraction.
4. This law shall not apply to any on-duty military or police personnel, or in the event that a citizen has received a written waiver approved by the Assembly and signed by the Governor.

Sounds much better then my bill.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #580 on: April 06, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »

c. The owner must supply a current Driver's License

It sounds good to me. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #581 on: April 06, 2009, 02:41:48 PM »

Well I certainly feel your bill is an horrible infringment on rights, I have to ask what form of ID you will ask for if one does not have a driver's license.  I know in New Jersey they usually use the wording "driver's license or other government issued ID".  I see no reason why a passport or similar item would not suffice
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #582 on: April 06, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »

Well I certainly feel your bill is an horrible infringment on rights, I have to ask what form of ID you will ask for if one does not have a driver's license.  I know in New Jersey they usually use the wording "driver's license or other government issued ID".  I see no reason why a passport or similar item would not suffice

How is it an infringement on rights? Some people shouldn't have guns. Guns aren't toys and shouldn't be treated like toys.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #583 on: April 06, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »

Made the edit for the licenses.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #584 on: April 07, 2009, 01:55:10 AM »

c. The owner must supply a current Driver's License or government issued identification

Lower the age to 18, or I'm not signing it.  And, what does the physical examination entail?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #585 on: April 07, 2009, 05:36:50 AM »

I will say the bill passes unanimously with three in favor and naught opposed. The Mideast Victim Compensation Act is presented to the Governor for his signature.
Sorry, when you said "Let's finish this", I took that to mean that the vote was open.

Sadly the Mideast Gun Safety Bill would violate both the Regional and Federal Constitutions. I must therefore vote against it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #586 on: April 07, 2009, 06:49:15 AM »

Nay on the gun bill if it can be deemed to be unconstitutional.

Also on an aside, I will be out of the country from tomorrow till Monday.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #587 on: April 07, 2009, 08:39:47 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/First_Amendment_to_the_Second_Constitution

The right to keep and bear arms and low potency explosives shall not be infringed. It's unconstitutional.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #588 on: April 07, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/First_Amendment_to_the_Second_Constitution

The right to keep and bear arms and low potency explosives shall not be infringed. It's unconstitutional.

It doesn't infringe upon that right. It creates certain guidelines for increased safety under the Constitution. Just as we have libel and slander laws despite the right to free speech.

Inks, I would not object to lowering the age to 18, and a physical examination would ensure that the person can properly handle the firearm, including eyesight, determination of certain muscular diseases (e.g. Parkinson's, etc.).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #589 on: April 07, 2009, 11:58:23 AM »

It doesn't infringe upon that right. It creates certain guidelines for increased safety under the Constitution. Just as we have libel and slander laws despite the right to free speech.

But an automatic weapon is still a fire-arm.  I really don't see how it's Constitutional.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #590 on: April 07, 2009, 12:28:15 PM »

1. The following restrictions shall be implemented for all firearms sold in the Mideast upon purchase:
   e. The owner must submit to a government-run physicalfirearm course and mental examination for approval to own a firearm
   g. Reasonable assurances and precautions must be provided to ensure that no person under the age of 2118 shall have access to the firearm

What about if we make it like this?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #591 on: April 07, 2009, 01:30:15 PM »

I wouldn't remove rocket projectiles or grenades from that. They wouldn't fall under low potency explosives.

Nor do I think that the right to bear arms includes the right to bear all forms of arms. I have no problem with people owning guns, but I do have an issue with certain types of firearms.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #592 on: April 07, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »

And for the record, that isn't current. The Third Constitution of the Mideast states: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms of a nature reasonable for self defense shall not be infringed."

This law just goes forward in defining exactly what that means.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #593 on: April 07, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »

e. The owner must submit to a government-run physicalfirearm course and mental examination for approval to own a firearm
   g. Reasonable assurances and precautions must be provided to ensure that no person under the age of 2118 shall have access to the firearm

I think if we want this to pass we are going to have to give up on the banning of automatic firearms. Something you have to give a little to get a little.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #594 on: April 07, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2009, 01:43:46 PM by Mideast Assembly Speaker Purple State »

Current version:

e. The owner mus submit to a government-run firearm "use and safety course" and mental examination for approval to own a firearm
   g. Reasonable assurances and precautions must be provided to ensure that no person under the age of 18 shall have access to the firearm

To reiterate, this appears wholly constitutional according to the current Mideast Constitution, which protects reasonably needed for self-defense. I don't think many would argue that automatic weapons fall under that category.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #595 on: April 07, 2009, 01:44:36 PM »

I see no problem with it, but I'm not voting on it.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #596 on: April 07, 2009, 02:25:50 PM »

Again, I would dearly love to vote in favour of the Amendment, however, my feeling is that the federal Constitution will not allow such a bill to pass. See the Debate on the Amendment as it was proposed in the Senate.

At the time I was against the Amendment, and I strongly voiced, as did others, that grenades and mortars were probably covered by the clause, but that intent was unclear.

I also feel that provisions of Section 2 constitute an unreasonable search of the person seeking to buy the weapon. A fingerprint registry of the nation is in my view highly undesirable on policy grounds, and probably unconstitutional on legal grounds - these people have done nothing illegal, and therefore should not have their fingerprints stored ad infinitum just because they bought a gun - this is treatment we only subject criminals too.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #597 on: April 07, 2009, 02:29:42 PM »

If I remove the fingerprint clause would you be willing to vote Aye and let the Supreme Court decide on the constitutionality?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #598 on: April 07, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »

Again, I would dearly love to vote in favour of the Amendment, however, my feeling is that the federal Constitution will not allow such a bill to pass. See the Debate on the Amendment as it was proposed in the Senate.

At the time I was against the Amendment, and I strongly voiced, as did others, that grenades and mortars were probably covered by the clause, but that intent was unclear.

I also feel that provisions of Section 2 constitute an unreasonable search of the person seeking to buy the weapon. A fingerprint registry of the nation is in my view highly undesirable on policy grounds, and probably unconstitutional on legal grounds - these people have done nothing illegal, and therefore should not have their fingerprints stored ad infinitum just because they bought a gun - this is treatment we only subject criminals too.

The TSA makes any driver who is getting Hazmat on their license get their fingerprint taken and have a back ground check. But of course the law are different here so I'm not to sure it it would go against their rights.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #599 on: April 07, 2009, 03:42:46 PM »

And for the record, that isn't current. The Third Constitution of the Mideast states: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms of a nature reasonable for self defense shall not be infringed."

This law just goes forward in defining exactly what that means.

That's the national Constitution he quoted, not the Mideast.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies