Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:33:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252248 times)
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 01, 2009, 07:24:54 AM »

Updated version:

The Mideast Victim Compensation Act

1. Any person victim of a crime committed in the Mideast shall be compensated by the regional Government under the conditions set forth by this Act.
2. Victims will be compensated for:
     a. Loss of life of a member of the immediate family.
     b. Approved medical treatment/rehabilitation for a period not exceeding two years from the beginning of treatment.
     c. Loss of material possessions, the value of which shall be evaluated by the victim's insurance provider or, if none is provided, an independent insurance company employed by the region.
3. No person shall be reimbursed by the region if there exists a plausible alternative method to receive compensation for the crime.
4. Compensation shall be determined by an independent council of three justices, who shall judge the nature of the crime, whether all other plausible alternatives have been attempted and what amount shall be paid to the victim. This amount shall be calculated as the amount determined less amounts already received through alternative means.

That's good. We probably need to agree on our economic plan to make it legitimate. I say, as I have said before, no new taxes. We cut prison spending to meet the shortfall. In fact, we should cut the prison spending of the criminal who caused this monetary damage in th first place.

The problem is prison spending isn't laid out per prisoner. It goes to the prison to function. Cutting prison funding really hurts the prison more, decreasing guards or guard pay, which increases the likelihood of escape.

Decrease prisoner services, not guard pay. Lower library visits. Some correctional facilities have a bookmobile come weekly. It will save the city money and the prison money to discontinue this service. Obviously, I don't know all the services prisoners get, but we should cut it to the bare minimum.

I believe it would have to be both decrease in prison spending and raise taxes on gun sales. Prison do need money to keep everything running right and I am don't want any law suit against the government over how well the prison are ran.

A lawsuit from who? A felon? I want more rights after I killed that lady!

A civil lawsuit against the government, if we don't keep the prison up to par. Also just because they are a felon doesn't mean they don't have rights.  I don't think prison should be like a Holiday Inn, but it shouldn't be like Gitmo. We have to put a good amount of money into them to keep them to par.
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #551 on: April 01, 2009, 05:35:53 PM »

Updated version:

1. Any person victim of a crime committed in the Mideast shall be compensated by the regional Government under the conditions set forth by this Act.
     b. Approved medical treatment/rehabilitation for a period not exceeding two years from the beginning of treatment.
     c. Loss of material possessions, the value of which shall be evaluated by the victim's insurance provider or, if none is provided, an independent insurance company employed by the region.
3. No person shall be reimbursed by the region if there exists a plausible alternative method to receive compensation for the crime.
4. Compensation shall be determined by an independent council of three justices, who shall judge the nature of the crime, whether all other plausible alternatives have been attempted and what amount shall be paid to the victim. This amount shall be calculated as the amount determined less amounts already received through alternative means.

That's good. We probably need to agree on our economic plan to make it legitimate. I say, as I have said before, no new taxes. We cut prison spending to meet the shortfall. In fact, we should cut the prison spending of the criminal who caused this monetary damage in th first place.

The problem is prison spending isn't laid out per prisoner. It goes to the prison to function. Cutting prison funding really hurts the prison more, decreasing guards or guard pay, which increases the likelihood of escape.

Decrease prisoner services, not guard pay. Lower library visits. Some correctional facilities have a bookmobile come weekly. It will save the city money and the prison money to discontinue this service. Obviously, I don't know all the services prisoners get, but we should cut it to the bare minimum.

I believe it would have to be both decrease in prison spending and raise taxes on gun sales. Prison do need money to keep everything running right and I am don't want any law suit against the government over how well the prison are ran.

A civil lawsuit against the government, if we don't keep the prison up to par. Also just because they are a felon doesn't mean they don't have rights.  I don't think prison should be like a Holiday Inn, but it shouldn't be like Gitmo. We have to put a good amount of money into them to keep them to par.

Of course. However, we are still overpending on prisons. As I said, I am not an expert on prison, but I know that there are some extraneous programs that need to be cut out.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #552 on: April 01, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »

Updated version:

Of course. However, we are still overpending on prisons. As I said, I am not an expert on prison, but I know that there are some extraneous programs that need to be cut out.

Of course, I agree with you, but we need to be careful of what we cut. Anyways, it isn't up to you or I it is in the hands of the Assembly.
persepolis

« Reply #553 on: April 01, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »

Of course, I agree with you, but we need to be careful of what we cut. Anyways, it isn't up to you or I it is in the hands of the Assembly.

Yeah. Mayb we should include a clause about funding....
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #554 on: April 01, 2009, 08:33:02 PM »

I don't understand the purpose of this.  Why wouldn't we just settle compensation stuff like this in civil court, where the victim takes the guilty party to court for a civil case.

I just don't see the need to spend government money on this, unless we set up a government system as compensation of last resort.

That's why we have a clause indicating that if claims can be obtained in another way that must happen first. I am actually wondering what case could not be taken to civil court that this would cover? Could anyone explain this?

Oftentimes, people who suffer the injuries of the crime are not necessarily covered under the strictest form of the law. Very often, a criminal is not taken to civil court because the charges are too trivial, or the courts want to avoid double jeopardy. The victims go uncompensated, and the felons go to jail. The government just sits there.

Double jeopardy never applies to a criminal and then civil court (not important to the law, just thought I'd mention it).
persepolis

« Reply #555 on: April 01, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »

I don't understand the purpose of this.  Why wouldn't we just settle compensation stuff like this in civil court, where the victim takes the guilty party to court for a civil case.

I just don't see the need to spend government money on this, unless we set up a government system as compensation of last resort.

That's why we have a clause indicating that if claims can be obtained in another way that must happen first. I am actually wondering what case could not be taken to civil court that this would cover? Could anyone explain this?

Oftentimes, people who suffer the injuries of the crime are not necessarily covered under the strictest form of the law. Very often, a criminal is not taken to civil court because the charges are too trivial, or the courts want to avoid double jeopardy. The victims go uncompensated, and the felons go to jail. The government just sits there.

Double jeopardy never applies to a criminal and then civil court (not important to the law, just thought I'd mention it).

Oh, whoops.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #556 on: April 01, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »

The President has signed the federal funding law for this, so I am bringing it to a vote of the Assembly. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on the following legislation:

The Mideast Education Funds Allotment Act

Whereas the Mideast region has received funding by the federal government through The Help Atlasia Study Act of 2009; and,

Whereas that funding is to be used for the subsidization of higher education tuition to provide equal chances to all Atlasian citizens; the Mideast Assembly determines the following parameters for funding:

1. Mideast public schools shall administer a number of standardized tests, in a range of subjects including math, English, science and history.

2. Students in each public school shall, for apportionment of funds, be classified by income brackets, with ranges of: $0 - $30,000; $30,001 - $75,000; $75,001 - $125,000; $125,001 - $250,000; $250,001 - $500,000; $500,001 and over.
a) No student from an income bracket of $500,001 and over shall receive any funding from this Act.

3. Each public school shall administer its funding as follows:
a) Full college tuition for the highest scoring student from each income bracket on each of the four standardized tests.
b) Full college tuition to the highest scoring student from each income bracket on the two combined topics of math and science, English and history.
c) Full college tuition to the highest scoring student from each income bracket on all four tests combined.
d) Full college tuition to all students in the lower two income brackets scoring in or above the 90th percentile on two or more tests.
d) Half-tuition to all students scoring in or above the 90th percentile on two or more of the tests.
e) Half tuition to all students in the lower two income brackets scoring in or above the 75th percentile on two or more tests.

4. No student shall receive more than the cost of tuition in funds. Extra funding shall be dispensed as region-provided scholarships to students who volunteer to teach in an underprivileged school, to be determined by need and the local teacher's union, for two years after college.

5. In the event that federal funding falls short of what is necessary, the Mideast shall levy a $0.25 cigarette tax to provide additional funding.

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #557 on: April 02, 2009, 01:57:44 PM »

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #558 on: April 03, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »

Okay, let's finish this.

5. Compensation shall be paid for by a 1% sales tax increase on gun purchases.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #559 on: April 03, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »

Looks good.
persepolis

« Reply #560 on: April 04, 2009, 12:47:41 AM »

Okay, let's finish this.

Tax increase? Especially on guns? That basically violates the right to bear arms.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #561 on: April 04, 2009, 07:26:49 AM »

Okay, let's finish this.

Tax increase? Especially on guns? That basically violates the right to bear arms.

A tax increase on food does not violate the right to eat.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #562 on: April 04, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »

Okay, let's finish this.

A tax increase on food does not violate the right to eat.

I agree with afleitch, this bill looks good to me.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #563 on: April 04, 2009, 02:15:53 PM »

Aye to both bills
persepolis

« Reply #564 on: April 04, 2009, 06:49:09 PM »

I know it doesn't violate the right to bear arms. I said it basically does. But that doesn't matter. The point I was trying to make is that guns are a basic tool of protection for civilians. Taxing that is immoral.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #565 on: April 04, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »

I know it doesn't violate the right to bear arms. I said it basically does. But that doesn't matter. The point I was trying to make is that guns are a basic tool of protection for civilians. Taxing that is immoral.

Not really, but this isn't the place to debate that, right now anyways.
persepolis

« Reply #566 on: April 04, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »

I say we find another way to get sufficient funds for this project then. Taxes are not the way to go.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #567 on: April 04, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »

I mean, no reason not to have the debate...

I say we find another way to get sufficient funds for this project then. Taxes are not the way to go.

We surely cannot cut prison funding. The point of prisons is two-fold: to house violent criminals and to ready criminals for their re-entrance into society. I actually plan on introducing a comprehensive prison bill after this.

Taxing guns will, hopefully, reduce the instances of gun-related mishaps. I don't want the state paying because some kid accidentally shot his friend with his father's gun.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #568 on: April 04, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »

I mean, no reason not to have the debate...

We surely cannot cut prison funding. The point of prisons is two-fold: to house violent criminals and to ready criminals for their re-entrance into society. I actually plan on introducing a comprehensive prison bill after this.

Taxing guns will, hopefully, reduce the instances of gun-related mishaps. I don't want the state paying because some kid accidentally shot his friend with his father's gun.

I believe cutting some funding toward prisons are ok, if needed. Like the funding for buying Computers/T.V.s etc. Things that they really don't need. But you are right prison is a dual system.

As far as taxes on guns, I didn't want the taxes on guns because I don't like raising taxes at all. But that said I don't think raising taxes on guns will not keep people from buying them at all. If I am ever part of the Assembly I would try to pass a bill making it very hard for the normal person to buy a gun.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #569 on: April 04, 2009, 08:33:02 PM »

The Mideast Education Funds Allotment Act passes by a unanimous vote of three to naught. I submit the legislation to the Governor for approval.

I bring the following piece of legislation to a vote of the Assembly. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #570 on: April 04, 2009, 09:12:52 PM »

I believe Peter has already voted aye for this bill.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #571 on: April 04, 2009, 09:14:09 PM »

I believe Peter has already voted aye for this bill.

Technically I don't think you can preemptively vote. Not sure.

I'll vote Aye on the compensation bill.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #572 on: April 05, 2009, 01:46:14 PM »

Aye on the compensation bill.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #573 on: April 05, 2009, 03:48:37 PM »

I will say the bill passes unanimously with three in favor and naught opposed. The Mideast Victim Compensation Act is presented to the Governor for his signature.
persepolis

« Reply #574 on: April 05, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »

Well, I am glad that bill passed anyway, even if I disapprove of where the funds are coming from. This bill is something I strongly wanted to get through, so that was first priority, not the funding for it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies