Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:36:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252335 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: March 27, 2009, 10:35:55 AM »
« edited: March 27, 2009, 10:38:09 AM by Mideast Assembly Speaker Purple State »

Members of the Assembly:

While the "Help Atlasia Study Act of 2009" is not quite law, yet, I'd urge the assembly to consider how the Mideast will use that money and to come up with a good plan on how to distribute it.

Thanks!

Loving the whole "pass the buck" thing. Wink

For the record here is the Help Atlasia Study Act of 2009 as is about to pass:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would like some for of merit/need system that also takes into account the area one is living in. Here is legislation I'll propose.

The Mideast Education Funds Allotment Act

Whereas the Mideast region has received funding by the federal government through The Help Atlasia Study Act of 2009; and,

Whereas that funding is to be used for the subsidization of higher education tuition to provide equal chances to all Atlasian citizens; the Mideast Assembly determines the following parameters for funding:

1. Mideast public schools shall administer a number of standardized tests, in a range of subjects including math, English, science and history.

2. Mideast public schools shall be ranked in accordance with the socioeconomic status of their neighborhood on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being underprivileged and 10 being privileged.

3. Students in each public school shall, for apportionment of funds, be classified by income brackets, with ranges of: $0 - $30,000; $30,001 - $75,000; $75,001 - $125,000; $125,001 - $250,000; $250,001 - $500,000; $500,001 and over.
a) No student from an income bracket of $500,001 and over shall receive any funding from this Act.

4. Each public school shall be provided funds based on rankings as follows:
a)1 = 25% of funds; 2 = 15%; 3 = 15%; 4 = 10%; 5 = 10%; 6 = 10%; 7 = 5%; 8 = 5%; 9 = 5%; 10 = 0%

5. Each public school shall administer its funding as follows:
a) Full college tuition for the highest scoring student from each income bracket on each of the four standardized tests.
b) Full college tuition to the highest scoring student from each income bracket on the two combined topics of math and science, English and history.
c) Full college tuition to the highest scoring student from each income bracket on all four tests combined.
d) Full college tuition to all students in the lower two income brackets scoring in or above the 90th percentile on two or more tests.
d) Half-tuition to all students scoring in or above the 90th percentile on two or more of the tests.
e) Half tuition to all students in the lower two income brackets scoring in or above the 75th percentile on two or more tests.

6. No student shall receive more than the cost of tuition in funds. Extra funding shall be dispensed as region-provided scholarships to students who volunteer to teach in an underprivileged school for two years after college.

7. In the event that federal funding falls short of what is necessary, the Mideast shall levy a $0.25 cigarette tax to provide additional funding.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #501 on: March 27, 2009, 10:39:16 AM »

Well we figured that regions know their citizens better. Wink

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #502 on: March 27, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »

Excellent Smiley Thank you both for responding to my initial 'nudge' on issues outstanding like these. I'll read through them
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #503 on: March 28, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »

I am in favour of PS's Bill. I don't have objections or amendments at this time.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #504 on: March 28, 2009, 05:39:46 PM »

I am in favour of PS's Bill. I don't have objections or amendments at this time.

I do have one question about that, and sorry for invading here:

How are the public schools going to be ranked? What system will be used to determine that 1 to 10 rating? Will it correspond with the percentage of the overall funding that each "group" is going to receive?

I think it's a good bill, BTW.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #505 on: March 28, 2009, 05:45:29 PM »

I do have one question about that, and sorry for invading here:

How are the public schools going to be ranked? What system will be used to determine that 1 to 10 rating? Will it correspond with the percentage of the overall funding that each "group" is going to receive?

I think it's a good bill, BTW.

Fair point. If it was Scotland I'd use the Social Deprivation Index which measures stats like crime, access to employment, access to amenities, income, family size etc which gives a deprivation ranking. But as it isn't I'm not sure what precise system can be used. I'll need to see what system the 'US' government uses if any.

Rankings should probably not be as arbitary as 10 percentiles, but more weighted to ensure that as many schools qualify as possible. So perhaps the bottom 20% of the scale are ranked '1'...needs headscratching!
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #506 on: March 28, 2009, 07:47:12 PM »

Let's just say an independent organization will be established to determine those. I have actually realized that there is almost no need for ranking the schools. We can just provide funding as is necessary. I can pull Sections 2 and 4 out.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #507 on: March 29, 2009, 02:35:46 AM »

Let's just say an independent organization will be established to determine those. I have actually realized that there is almost no need for ranking the schools. We can just provide funding as is necessary. I can pull Sections 2 and 4 out.

That'll work, yeah.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #508 on: March 29, 2009, 08:41:10 AM »

Updated bill:

Whereas the Mideast region has received funding by the federal government through The Help Atlasia Study Act of 2009; and,

Whereas that funding is to be used for the subsidization of higher education tuition to provide equal chances to all Atlasian citizens; the Mideast Assembly determines the following parameters for funding:

1. Mideast public schools shall administer a number of standardized tests, in a range of subjects including math, English, science and history.

2. Students in each public school shall, for apportionment of funds, be classified by income brackets, with ranges of: $0 - $30,000; $30,001 - $75,000; $75,001 - $125,000; $125,001 - $250,000; $250,001 - $500,000; $500,001 and over.
a) No student from an income bracket of $500,001 and over shall receive any funding from this Act.

3. Each public school shall administer its funding as follows:
a) Full college tuition for the highest scoring student from each income bracket on each of the four standardized tests.
b) Full college tuition to the highest scoring student from each income bracket on the two combined topics of math and science, English and history.
c) Full college tuition to the highest scoring student from each income bracket on all four tests combined.
d) Full college tuition to all students in the lower two income brackets scoring in or above the 90th percentile on two or more tests.
d) Half-tuition to all students scoring in or above the 90th percentile on two or more of the tests.
e) Half tuition to all students in the lower two income brackets scoring in or above the 75th percentile on two or more tests.

4. No student shall receive more than the cost of tuition in funds. Extra funding shall be dispensed as region-provided scholarships to students who volunteer to teach in an underprivileged school, to be determined by need and the local teacher's union, for two years after college.

5. In the event that federal funding falls short of what is necessary, the Mideast shall levy a $0.25 cigarette tax to provide additional funding.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #509 on: March 30, 2009, 10:17:07 AM »

I don't want to overstep but can citzens of the Mideast have input on bills? If not who is allowed to post/have input?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #510 on: March 30, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »

I don't want to overstep but can citzens of the Mideast have input on bills? If not who is allowed to post/have input?

Everyone can post their ideas.

The voting members are elected every 2 months. Currently, they are: Purple State, Afleitch and Peter.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #511 on: March 30, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »

The voting members are elected every 2 months. Currently, they are: Purple State, Afleitch and Peter.

Ok, thank you Senator.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #512 on: March 30, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »

Ok, thank you Senator.

Can't speak for the Assembly....but personally, I'm happy for any ideas and proposals. Feel free to give your input.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #513 on: March 30, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »

As Mideast Speaker of the Assembly, I want to welcome you to the Mideast. Feel free to post any ideas for legislation here. We would be happy to discuss and vote on anything you've got.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #514 on: March 30, 2009, 10:46:50 AM »

Updated bill:

2. Students in each public school shall, for apportionment of funds, be classified by income brackets, with ranges of: $0 - $30,000; $30,001 - $75,000; $75,001 - $125,000; $125,001 - $250,000; $250,001 - $500,000; $500,001 and over.

4. No student shall receive more than the cost of tuition in funds. Extra funding shall be dispensed as region-provided scholarships to students who volunteer to teach in an underprivileged school, to be determined by need and the local teacher's union, for two years after college.

5. In the event that federal funding falls short of what is necessary, the Mideast shall levy a $0.25 cigarette tax to provide additional funding.

I have a few questions, the bill doesn't make it clear or not if the tuition money can be used for any College/University, public or private.

Also I think it would be wise if you added another standardized test for Computer based knowledge. Testing students on Computer skills like Power point, Excel, how to build websites, basic computer skills etc. I believe that knowing how to use these skills will help every student in College/University and in the business world.

Also wouldn't it be wiser to add the tax on alcohol, something many more people use?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #515 on: March 30, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »

Updated bill:

I have a few questions, the bill doesn't make it clear or not if the tuition money can be used for any College/University, public or private.

Also I think it would be wise if you added another standardized test for Computer based knowledge. Testing students on Computer skills like Power point, Excel, how to build websites, basic computer skills etc. I believe that knowing how to use these skills will help every student in College/University and in the business world.

Also wouldn't it be wiser to add the tax on alcohol, something many more people use?

The bill doesn't specify public or private because it should be for either.

A computer based knowledge test is regressive, as it is advantageous to wealthier students with greater access to these programs.

And we shouldn't need all that much additional funds, considering the amount the federal government is providing. You also don't want to anger the larger constituency.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #516 on: March 30, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2009, 03:27:31 PM by Devilman88 »

Ok, some government funded program sometimes have limits on what type of school you can use it for. But I agree that it should be used for both.

Not really, if every school in the Mideast has the programs then all student can use the programs. Also, this would call for schools to add computer skill classes for the students. It just an idea I had that would be helpful to the students in their up coming years in college and the "real" world.

Your right you don't want to anger larger constituency, but I was looking at it we would get more money from adding a tax on alcohol then cigarette. Another possibility would be raising tax on all tobacco products by $0.25

Again just ideas I had, just trying to get involved.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #517 on: March 30, 2009, 03:30:14 PM »

Taxes on these products are levied federally through the National Sin Tax Act...however the Act also allows for regions to tax these products too. So we could certainly raise money that way.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #518 on: March 30, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »

Taxes on these products are levied federally through the National Sin Tax Act...however the Act also allows for regions to tax these products too. So we could certainly raise money that way.

Oh ok, like I said just trying to get involved. If you guys need anything just ask me and I will try to do my best at it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #519 on: March 30, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »

Oh ok, like I said just trying to get involved. If you guys need anything just ask me and I will try to do my best at it.

Oh please get involved Smiley I was just saying that your idea to raise revenue through tobaccos taxation could be done using exisiting legislation - which makes it quite a tempting one.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #520 on: March 30, 2009, 04:18:48 PM »

Oh please get involved Smiley I was just saying that your idea to raise revenue through tobaccos taxation could be done using exisiting legislation - which makes it quite a tempting one.

Well, I'm glad I can help. I want to get involved in the Mideast, but I really don't know how to, besides this thread.
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #521 on: March 30, 2009, 05:49:10 PM »

I have a proposal for a basic idea for an act the we might want to enact. I believe that we are overextending ourselves to criminals and not providing enough help for the victims of a crime. In the Constitution, the Bill of Rights is littered with protection for the accused. We must extend the same courtesy to those who are victimized. Normally, people do not receive government support when they are robbed and/or physically assaulted, even after the attacker is put in jail. We should extend a plan to help the victimized.
Normally, I do not encourage the enlargement of the government, but in this case, I feel for the people who have been victimized, and I want to put into effect a bill that provides states support for those families who have been victimized within the state's jurisdiction.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #522 on: March 30, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »

I have a proposal for a basic idea for an act the we might want to enact. I believe that we are overextending ourselves to criminals and not providing enough help for the victims of a crime. In the Constitution, the Bill of Rights is littered with protection for the accused. We must extend the same courtesy to those who are victimized. Normally, people do not receive government support when they are robbed and/or physically assaulted, even after the attacker is put in jail. We should extend a plan to help the victimized.
Normally, I do not encourage the enlargement of the government, but in this case, I feel for the people who have been victimized, and I want to put into effect a bill that provides states support for those families who have been victimized within the state's jurisdiction.

What type of help are you talking about?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #523 on: March 30, 2009, 06:00:22 PM »

It sounds very similar to the role of the government organisation I actually work for here in Britain Grin
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #524 on: March 30, 2009, 06:40:44 PM »

Monetary help to cover for damage to their lives and possessions.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies