Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:31:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252531 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: March 10, 2009, 04:39:55 PM »

The other thing that immediately springs to my mind is how do we determine if a crime has been commited in the Mideast Region?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #451 on: March 10, 2009, 04:42:26 PM »

The other thing that immediately springs to my mind is how do we determine if a crime has been commited in the Mideast Region?

That's a good question actually.

Perhaps the residence of the accused person would count? It'd have to say that in the law, though.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #452 on: March 10, 2009, 09:49:16 PM »

I was thinking "in the Mideast region" would be considered between any two members of the region. The wording could perhaps be clarified and I will make sure to include that in the final bill.

I would propose this with the understanding that proving such a case may, at times, be quite difficult. However, the resolution of this question will be answered two-fold: first by our discussion here and second by judicial precedent that will eventually come to be.

It is oftentimes clear that there is no purpose other than insult behind much of the bickering that goes on here. If a mod states that someone is not Xahar after people accuse them of being Xahar (likely knowing full will it isn't him) that would be covered. So too would calling someone a rapist, etc. I use recent examples like those because they are on-hand and I can think of them right now, but surely there are numerous examples.

Here is a new version of the bill, trying to take into consideration much of what has been mentioned.

Libel and Slander Penalization Act

1. It shall hereby be illegal for a member of the Mideast region to falsely and publicly slander or libel the name of another member of the region within the Atlas Fantasy Boards.
2. Slander shall be defined as harmful statements in a transitory form, especially speech, used for no express purpose beyond insult or injury.
3. Libel shall be defined as harmful statements in a fixed medium, especially writing but also a picture, sign, or electronic broadcast, used for no express purpose beyond insult or injury.
4. Clause 2 and Clause 3 of this Act shall not be read to limit slander or libel to the listed mediums of defamation.
5. Conviction by the Superior Court for acts of slander or libel shall result in a sentence of no more than a one month ban from holding office in the Mideast or a two month ban from voting in official elections in the Mideast.

Again, while it may not be clear what "express purpose beyond insult or injury" really means or covers legally, I would recommend that the discretion of the justice be used. To lay some assembly floor precedent, arguing that a citizen's position on an issue or one's candidacy for office is absurd for numerous reasons would, generally, be acceptable in the course of productive discourse. However, if insults are used in which baseless or unwarranted claims are made, such as "Don't vote for ______ because he's a satanist who drinks baby blood," then this measure would go into effect. Of course, part of lawmaking is leaving it up to the discretion of the courts.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #453 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:46 AM »

I'm concerned about freedom of speech protection here, as well.

Where do we draw the line?

I don't think anyone has the right to not be offended. I would personally be more comfortable with the bill if it were restricted only to statements that are made falsely that damage one's reputation.

Not that it matters...as I've said, the Assembly needs to decide for itself which priorities it has.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #454 on: March 11, 2009, 12:53:32 PM »

I'm concerned about freedom of speech protection here, as well.

Where do we draw the line?

I don't think anyone has the right to not be offended. I would personally be more comfortable with the bill if it were restricted only to statements that are made falsely that damage one's reputation.

Not that it matters...as I've said, the Assembly needs to decide for itself which priorities it has.

I agree with Franzl on this matter, we need to ensure that freedom of speech is maintained.  We can not simply stop people from saying things because they hurt others feelings.  However if they are utter falsehoods that damage a person's reputation then yes action must be taken.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #455 on: March 11, 2009, 07:31:03 PM »

I have tried to incorporate that into this final version of the bill. I am calling a vote for the following legislation. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

1. It shall hereby be illegal for a member of the Mideast region to falsely and publicly slander or libel the name of another member of the region within the Atlas Fantasy Boards.
2. Slander shall be defined as harmful statements in a transitory form, especially speech, with the intent of causing damage to a member's reputation.
3. Libel shall be defined as harmful statements in a fixed medium, especially writing but also a picture, sign, or electronic broadcast, with the intent of causing damage to a member's reputation.
4. Clause 2 and Clause 3 of this Act shall not be read to limit slander or libel to the listed mediums of defamation.
5. Conviction by the Superior Court for acts of slander or libel shall result in a sentence of no more than a one month ban from holding office in the Mideast or a two month ban from voting in official elections in the Mideast.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2009, 11:46:01 PM »

Aye
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #457 on: March 12, 2009, 02:11:08 PM »

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #458 on: March 12, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »

Abstain. I have concerns as to how it will be managed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #459 on: March 12, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »

The Libel and Slander Penalization Act has passed with 2 ayes and 1 abstain. I will pass the legislation on to the Governor.

Next, I would like to discuss an Amendment to the new Constitution. As the legislation section is currently written a Governor is not required to sign or veto a law, essentially giving him the right not to let it through nor to send it back.

I propose the follow Amendment for discussion:

First Amendment

1. Article 3, Section 2, Clause 4 of the Third Mideast Constitution shall hereby be Clause 5.
2. Article 3, Section 2 of the Third Mideast Constitution shall be amended to include the following as Clause 4: "The Governor shall have seven days to sign or veto ordinary legislation passed by the Assembly. After seven days, legislation which the Governor has not signed or vetoed shall be considered as Law."
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #460 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2009, 03:06:38 PM by afleitch »

The Libel and Slander Penalization Act has passed with 2 ayes and 1 abstain. I will pass the legislation on to the Governor.

Next, I would like to discuss an Amendment to the new Constitution. As the legislation section is currently written a Governor is not required to sign or veto a law, essentially giving him the right not to let it through nor to send it back.

First Amendment

1. Article 3, Section 2, Clause 4 of the Third Mideast Constitution shall hereby be Clause 5.
2. Article 3, Section 2 of the Third Mideast Constitution shall be amended to include the following as Clause 4: "The Governor shall have seven days to sign or veto ordinary legislation passed by the Assembly. After seven days, legislation which the Governor has not signed or vetoed shall be considered as Law."

I'm supportive of checks and balances and would support an amendment. However I would amend the second part to read 'Any legislation vetoed by the Governor shall be returned to the Assembly and shall become Law if the veto is overulled by a unaminous vote by the Assembly.'

As 2 is the quota to allow the bill to pass, the veto quota should be higher. Essentially all 3 in favour of overulling. However the wording has to be careful, hence the use of 'unanimous' - in case one member is absent etc. An unprincipled governor could use the absense of a member to go on a 'veto spree' otherwise.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #461 on: March 12, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2009, 03:09:59 PM by Governor, Fmr. Chairman, Fmr. Judge, & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

First Amendment

I'm supportive of checks and balances and would support an amendment. However I would amend the second part to read 'Any legislation vetoed by the Governor shall be returned to the Assembly and shall become Law if the veto is overulled by a unaminous vote by the Senate.'

As 2 is the quota to allow the bill to pass, the veto quota should be higher. Essentially all 3 in favour of overulling. However the wording has to be careful, hence the use of 'unanimous' - in case one member is absent etc. An unprincipled governor could use the absense of a member to go on a 'veto spree' otherwise.

That should be "unanimous vote by the Assembly" not "Senate," fyi.

EDIT: Actually, I forgot that in the new Constitution, we have a clause that allows the Assembly to override a veto.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #462 on: March 12, 2009, 03:06:05 PM »

First Amendment

I'm supportive of checks and balances and would support an amendment. However I would amend the second part to read 'Any legislation vetoed by the Governor shall be returned to the Assembly and shall become Law if the veto is overulled by a unaminous vote by the Senate.'

That should be "unanimous vote by the Assembly" not "Senate," fyi.

Yes, sorry. Mindslip Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #463 on: March 12, 2009, 07:10:29 PM »

The Governor has vetoed the Libel and Slander Penalization Act for failing to specify that the harmful statements must be false. Before I bring it up for a second vote before the Assembly I would like to point out that the first line states that the slander and libel must be public and false.

I now will bring the measure up for a second vote. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on the following legislation. An unanimous vote by the Assembly is required for passage.

2. Slander shall be defined as harmful statements in a transitory form, especially speech, with the intent of causing damage to a member's reputation.
3. Libel shall be defined as harmful statements in a fixed medium, especially writing but also a picture, sign, or electronic broadcast, with the intent of causing damage to a member's reputation.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #464 on: March 12, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »

Regarding the first amendment proposal, I don't get what you two are referring to.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #465 on: March 13, 2009, 12:50:04 AM »

The revote won't be necessary.  I feel really foolish for missing that, and I've revoked the veto.  My apologies for overlooking that.  Again, I feel utterly dumb right now.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #466 on: March 14, 2009, 08:44:57 PM »

Alright, so we should continue discussion of this amendment. Could someone provide some alternative wording? I haven't really understood what was being discussed earlier.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #467 on: March 15, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »

Two other matters of simple business to be attended to.

1. Elections to the Assembly are coming up this Thursday. Would all candidates please declare their candidacy in the Candidate Declaration Thread.

2. On the matter of updating the Wiki, I think what would be best is starting with what we have and going backwards to make sure that current legislation gets up there.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #468 on: March 15, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »

I am happy to vote for your Amendment as presently written given that there is already an override provision in the Constitution.

I would also like to propose the following bill:

Statute Repeal Bill
1. The Mideast Voter Information Statute is repealed
2. The Mideast Civil Partnership Statute is repealed

The first has, to my knowledge, never been followed. The second is grossly unconstitutional. I do not believe either have been repealed before (the wiki doesn't think so)

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #469 on: March 15, 2009, 03:38:16 PM »

Just letting you know, I'll be in London all next week and unable to get on the interweb.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #470 on: March 15, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »

2. On the matter of updating the Wiki, I think what would be best is starting with what we have and going backwards to make sure that current legislation gets up there.

If you want, I can do that, but I was going to start at the beginning and try to do a numbering system (similar to the U.S. government, so instead of H.R. 1, it'd be A.R. 1 [A for assembly]).

But, I'm open to suggestions
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #471 on: March 15, 2009, 11:14:26 PM »

If you want, I can do that, but I was going to start at the beginning and try to do a numbering system (similar to the U.S. government, so instead of H.R. 1, it'd be A.R. 1 [A for assembly]).

But, I'm open to suggestions

That is fine. I just want to make sure it all gets done. Your method sounds pretty efficient so stick with that if you have it all mapped out.

Just letting you know, I'll be in London all next week and unable to get on the interweb.

I would recommend, before you leave, to declare your candidacy for reelection if you plan on running again.

I bring Assemblymember Peter's bill, retitled the Cleaning the Books, I Bill, which reads as following:

Links for the above laws can be found in Peter's original post above. Any and all are welcome to discuss.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #472 on: March 17, 2009, 07:19:53 PM »

Seeing as there is no debate (?), I bring the following to the floor for voting:

First Cleaning the Books Act

Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on the legislation sponsored by Assemblymember Peter. The vote will be open for 48 hours or until all assemblymembers have voted.

First Amendment

1. Article 3, Section 2, Clause 3 of the Third Mideast Constitution which reads, "Should the Assembly pass ordinary legislation by a majority vote, then the Governor may sign such legislation into Law, or veto such legislation. A veto may be overturned upon the unanimous vote of the Assembly."
shall hereby read: "Voting on ordinary legislation shall be considered valid when a majority of assemblymembers have cast their vote. Upon passage by a majority of those assemblymembers voting, such legislation shall be sent to the Governor to receive his signature into Law or veto. A veto may be overturned by the unanimous vote of all sworn Assemblymembers at the time of the veto."
2. Article 3, Section 2, Clause 4 of the Third Mideast Constitution shall hereby be Clause 5.
3. Article 3, Section 2 of the Third Mideast Constitution shall be amended to include the following as Clause 4: "The Governor shall have seven days to sign or veto ordinary legislation passed by the Assembly. After seven days, legislation which the Governor has not signed or vetoed shall be considered as Law."

Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on sending the Amendment to the people of Mideast region for a popular vote.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #473 on: March 17, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »

Message from the Speaker

Members of the Mideast region:

I want to express my congratulations to our fellow Mideasterner and Senate representative HappyWarrior on his victory in the contest for PPT. I believe he will do a fantastic job in his new elevated position and I wish him the best of luck.

We should all work to move past the recent drama surrounding this race and ensure a productive and successful Senate in the coming round of legislation.

~Speaker Purple State
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: March 18, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »

Aye to both bills 2 posts above this one.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies