Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:37:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252253 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: February 08, 2009, 06:48:42 PM »

I agree that there should not be a gag-rule on discussion of intelligent design in classes meant to discuss such things.

I bring the following bill to the floor for debate.

Amendment to the Mideast Intelligent Design Statute

Section 2 of the Mideast Intelligent Design Statute shall be amended to read: "Therefore, the Mideast Region forbids all school districts under the government's authority to teach the theory of intelligent design in any course pertaining to scientific theory. This shall not be read to exclude such discourse in a philosophical or otherwise social science manner."

Sponsor: Afleitch

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #426 on: February 09, 2009, 12:59:12 AM »

I also bring the following Amendment to the floor for discussion:

Mideast Wiki Responsibility Amendment

1. The Governor is hereby given the responsibility of updating the Mideast regional Wiki for all legislation and occurrences during his or her tenure.
2. If such action is not taken within 30 days of the passage of said legislation or occurrence, the Assembly shall choose a member of its body to assume all responsibilities of the Governor until such time as the Governor has fulfilled Section 1 of this Amendment.

Obviously we cannot make up for all that has not been accounted for since the last update, but anything recent should fall under this.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #427 on: February 11, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2009, 01:47:17 PM by Mideast Assembly Speaker Purple State »

Seeing as no one cares to debate, I will bring the following bills to the floor for a vote:

Amendment to the Mideast Intelligent Design Statute

Section 2 of the Mideast Intelligent Design Statute shall be amended to read: "Therefore, the Mideast Region forbids all school districts under the government's authority to teach the theory of intelligent design in any course pertaining to scientific theory. This shall not be read to exclude such discourse in a philosophical or otherwise social science manner."

Sponsor: Afleitch

Mideast Wiki Responsibility Act

1. The Governor is hereby given the responsibility of updating the Mideast regional Wiki for all legislation and occurrences during his or her tenure.
2. If such action is not taken within 30 days of the passage of said legislation or occurrence, the Assembly shall choose a member of its body to assume all responsibilities of the Governor until such time as the Governor has fulfilled Section 1 of this bill.

Please vote for each bill separately with an aye, nay, or abstain.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #428 on: February 11, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »

Aye for both.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #429 on: February 11, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »

Aye on both.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #430 on: February 11, 2009, 01:49:37 PM »

Both motions pass my a 2-0 vote. Each bill shall become law in 3 days time barring action by the Governor.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #431 on: February 12, 2009, 09:45:12 PM »

Due to a pending legal decision in the Mideast Superior Court, I bring the following Amendment to the Mideast Constitution proposal to the Assembly floor for discussion:

Mideast Wiki Responsibility Amendment

Article I, Section 1 of the Mideast Constitution shall hereby include the following additional clauses:
4. The Governor shall hold the responsibility of updating the Mideast regional Wiki for all legislation and occurrences during his or her tenure.
5. If such action is not taken within 30 days of the passage of said legislation or occurrence, the Assembly shall choose a member of its body to assume all responsibilities of the Governor until such time as the Governor has fulfilled Clause 4 of this Section.

The vote to send this Amendment to the people shall be aye, nay, or abstain. One may refrain from voting until after the decision of the SC has been handed down, but it is not obligatory to do so.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #432 on: February 15, 2009, 01:21:36 PM »

The Wiki Responsibility Act has been ruled unconstitutional. I vote Aye on the Amendment to the Constitution.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #433 on: February 16, 2009, 10:40:46 AM »

I know the coming elections are taking a bit of work, but getting this Amendment to the people around the time of the elections would raise participation.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #434 on: February 16, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »

Message from the Speaker

Members of the Mideast Assembly and fellow Mideast citizens:

The third Convention for the Mideast Constitution will soon be coming to a close. Many of our region's finest members have contributed a great deal of time and effort to make sure this document will be as successful as possible. I would like to give special thanks to Governor Inks and my colleagues in the Assembly, afleitch and Peter, for their extensive work on the Third Constitution. It could not have been completed without their help and the aid of all those that have participated in one way or another.

I would like to call on every citizen of the Mideast to help us finish this process. Review the new constitution here,share your thoughts in the convention thread, and vote on the amendments. Let us finish this tremendous effort off even stronger than we started.

~Speaker Purple State
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #435 on: February 23, 2009, 11:20:08 PM »

In light of the calling of a national Constitutional Convention, I bring the following resolution to the floor for a vote.

ConCon Delegate Selection Resolution

Whereas, it is stated in the federal resolution to call a fourth Constitutional Convention for the great state of Atlasia; and

Whereas, the Mideast region is to select four (4) delegates to said Convention by a form of popular vote;

The Mideast Assembly hereby calls on the Governor to hold a public vote in a Voting Booth thread on this next Thursday at noon to correspond with the vote on the Third Mideast Constitution;

The Mideast Assembly hereby resolves that the election shall last no longer than 72 hours and no less than 48 hours from the time the booth opens;

The Mideast Assembly hereby resolves that the election shall be open to all members residing in the Mideast for a period of the 10 days directly prior to the start of the vote. Candidates shall be eligible to declare their candidacy up to six (6) hours before the opening of the voting booth. Write-in candidates shall be eligible only in the event that they accept said votes and receive five (5) or more votes.

Aye
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #436 on: February 24, 2009, 01:29:49 AM »

I don't mean to be a hindrance to the process, but does the Assembly have the legal authority to call for such a vote?  I don't see how they do; but I don't see how I do either.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #437 on: February 24, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »

I don't mean to be a hindrance to the process, but does the Assembly have the legal authority to call for such a vote?  I don't see how they do; but I don't see how I do either.

It's a non-binding resolution, an expression of the Assembly's preference for the format of the vote that the Governor will administer.

You have the sole legal authority to call it because the Senate bill provided that the Governors have that responsibility.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #438 on: February 24, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »

It's a non-binding resolution, an expression of the Assembly's preference for the format of the vote that the Governor will administer.

You have the sole legal authority to call it because the Senate bill provided that the Governors have that responsibility.

Alright.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #439 on: February 25, 2009, 10:41:59 AM »

BUMP

There is a vote on-going here. Any other assembly members around?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #440 on: February 25, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »

Aye on the motion.

I understand that we are having some difficulty here in the Mideast with regards to participation.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #441 on: February 25, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »

Just a tad. The slowdown is likely due to the coming of the vote for the 3C and the upcoming national CC.

It would appear that the Mideast is the only region thus far to have enough candidates looking to be a delegate to fill its delegate slots. That, at least, is a good sign.

The non-binding ConCon Delegate Selection Resolution passes unanimously by a vote of 2-0. I will convey this resolution to the Governor as stated.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #442 on: February 25, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »

Just a tad. The slowdown is likely due to the coming of the vote for the 3C and the upcoming national CC.

It would appear that the Mideast is the only region thus far to have enough candidates looking to be a delegate to fill its delegate slots. That, at least, is a good sign.

The non-binding ConCon Delegate Selection Resolution passes unanimously by a vote of 2-0. I will convey this resolution to the Governor as stated.

Having nearly every active poster in a position of government pays off. Gives people something to do. Something to take to the Convention perhaps
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #443 on: March 09, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »

Message from the Office of the Speaker

I want to take the time out to congratulate the members of the Mideast that have been selected to represent this region in the coming national Constitutional Convention. Your work will go a long way towards improving Atlasia and bringing a renewed spirit of participation and honesty to this game we all enjoy.

I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to seeing the results.

~ Speaker Purple State
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #444 on: March 09, 2009, 08:51:06 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2009, 10:59:58 AM by Mideast Assembly Speaker Purple State »

First, I ask that the Governor update the Wiki with the new Mideast Constitution. (EDIT: And other recently passed statutes as well)

Second, I call the following motion to the floor for debate:

Libel and Slander Penalization Act

1. It shall hereby be illegal in the Mideast region to slander or libel the name of another member of the region.
2. Slander shall be defined as harmful statements in a transitory form, especially speech. Libel shall be defined as harmful statements in a fixed medium, especially writing but also a picture, sign, or electronic broadcast.
3. Clause 2 of this Act shall not be read to limit slander or libel to the listed mediums of defamation.
4. Conviction by the Superior Court for acts of slander or libel shall result in a sentence of no more than a one month ban from holding office in the Mideast or a two month ban from voting in official elections in the Mideast.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #445 on: March 10, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »

The problem I see here is proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the questionable statement is false.

It's possible in real life...but it'd be pretty hard on the forum.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #446 on: March 10, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »

My principal issue with the bill as presently written is that it is entirely possible for somebody to post "harmful statements" that are completely true, and then be convicted of libel/slander. I feel that there needs to be a requirement that the statements are false and that the poster knew (or was reasonably likely to know) that the statements are false.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #447 on: March 10, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2009, 02:05:44 PM by Mideast Assembly Speaker Purple State »

I hear both of your points. Would this version be more acceptable?

Libel and Slander Penalization Act

1. It shall hereby be illegal in the Mideast region to falsely and publicly slander or libel the name of another member of the region.
2. Slander shall be defined as harmful statements in a transitory form, especially speech, used for no express purpose beyond insult or injury.
3. Libel shall be defined as harmful statements in a fixed medium, especially writing but also a picture, sign, or electronic broadcast, used for no express purpose beyond insult or injury.
4. Clause 2 and Clause 3 of this Act shall not be read to limit slander or libel to the listed mediums of defamation.
5. Conviction by the Superior Court for acts of slander or libel shall result in a sentence of no more than a one month ban from holding office in the Mideast or a two month ban from voting in official elections in the Mideast.

I think that most average citizens can tell the purpose of certain claims on the forum. While claiming that someone has hacked your account may not be provable beyond a reasonable doubt by an Atlasia justice, it is clear that certain insults are used to simply harm the image of a member and have no basis in truth or fact. That is what I want this to cover. Yes there are those cases that just cannot be determined, but this law would go a long way to adding a renewed atmosphere of civility around here.

I also just included the "publicly" provision to prevent people from pulling PMs for something like this.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #448 on: March 10, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »

I'll need to consider the bill. I drafted a Press Complaints Commission bill in the Senate along similar lines but it failed. Though I understand this bill more specifically adresses the 'everyone is Xahar!!!' nonsense of a week back.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #449 on: March 10, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »

It's not a bad law...and I wouldn't oppose it in principle.

You just need to know that it would be hard to prosecute any such case...as it would have to be seriously proven in court that the statement is false.

And the "purpose" of somebody accused of such a crime is highly subjective....not to mention that it has to be proven the person making these statements has to know the statements are false.

I agree with you in principle though, Purple State....I'd urge the Assembly to consider how this would work in practice, though. I suppose you could try it out and see what would happen in a real case, but think about it. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies