Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:48:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 252272 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: December 17, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »

My big problem with the 3 regions idea is that it may break up a very active region.  If we remove a region, it should be one that isn't active.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #226 on: December 17, 2008, 06:06:51 PM »

My big problem with the 3 regions idea is that it may break up a very active region.  If we remove a region, it should be one that isn't active.

and suggestion?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #227 on: December 17, 2008, 06:08:29 PM »

and suggestion?

If we remove a region, I would suggest it be either the Pacific or Midwest, as they seem to be the least active; perhaps cutting down on the number of At-Large Senators, and increasing the frequency of elections.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #228 on: December 17, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »

and suggestion?

If we remove a region, I would suggest it be either the Pacific or Midwest, as they seem to be the least active; perhaps cutting down on the number of At-Large Senators, and increasing the frequency of elections.

that's basically my problem....we need direct authorization from any region we want to integrate with another. I wonder which region would voluntarily agree to be broken up.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #229 on: December 17, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »

I had a plan in my campaign for VP.

Basically, the dividing lines would be the Mississippi and the Potomac. It'd be merging far more than breaking up.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #230 on: December 17, 2008, 06:31:03 PM »

and suggestion?

that's basically my problem....we need direct authorization from any region we want to integrate with another. I wonder which region would voluntarily agree to be broken up.

We wouldn't need any authorization in a CC.  The Const. would be redrafte and then voted upon.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #231 on: December 17, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »

and suggestion?

We wouldn't need any authorization in a CC.  The Const. would be redrafte and then voted upon.

Right, but apparently 4 regions would have to ratify any decision made by the convention, if my understanding is correct. (which is a good thing, it'll prevent anything completely idiotic from happening.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #232 on: December 17, 2008, 06:32:58 PM »

I posted the following in the thread to recall Benconstine, but since I made the following speech on the floor of the Assembly, I'll also repost it here:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #233 on: December 17, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »

and suggestion?

Right, but apparently 4 regions would have to ratify any decision made by the convention, if my understanding is correct. (which is a good thing, it'll prevent anything completely idiotic from happening.)

Right, but it's not specifically asking 2 regions, "Can we merge you?"  Hypothetically, one region could say no.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #234 on: December 17, 2008, 06:36:07 PM »

and suggestion?

Right, but it's not specifically asking 2 regions, "Can we merge you?"  Hypothetically, one region could say no.

yeah, that's true, I suppose.

Don't you think, though, that giving people the chance to vote on it in a constitutional convention would be a net gain in almost any case, though? The end result would be certain to, at the very least, be approved of by the vast majority of Atlasians.

As I've argued before, it would be an attention getter and would hopefully increase general interest.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #235 on: December 17, 2008, 06:40:45 PM »

and suggestion?

Don't you think, though, that giving people the chance to vote on it in a constitutional convention would be a net gain in almost any case, though? The end result would be certain to, at the very least, be approved of by the vast majority of Atlasians.

As I've argued before, it would be an attention getter and would hopefully increase general interest.

But is that fair to the merging regions?  What if we merge 2 regions and one of the to-be-merged regions votes against it, but the other 4 vote for it?  That's unfair to the to-be-merged region in my opinion, and considering my stance on regional rights, I cannot vote for something that would allow for such a travesty.  Now, if I could be guaranteed that a scenario like that could not happen, I would be more likely to vote for the CC.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #236 on: December 17, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »

and suggestion?

But is that fair to the merging regions?  What if we merge 2 regions and one of the to-be-merged regions votes against it, but the other 4 vote for it?  That's unfair to the to-be-merged region in my opinion, and considering my stance on regional rights, I cannot vote for something that would allow for such a travesty.  Now, if I could be guaranteed that a scenario like that could not happen, I would be more likely to vote for the CC.

Well, I respect that, and I'm still considering it myself. I'm not sure how we could guarantee that something like that wouldn't happen.

It's not even clear at this point how many people even favor the idea of fewer regions. It seems like everyone has different intents and goals going into the possible convention.

That's part of what would makt it fun, though Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #237 on: December 17, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »

Look at how much debate and activity the Convention has already generated! *winkwinknudgenudge*
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2008, 12:13:32 AM »

Can someone introduce an amendment?

Good Government Amendment

The office of Governor is hereby devolved upon Inks.LWC in perpetuity.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2008, 12:34:52 AM »

Remind me again why you even bother to live somewhere other than the Mideast?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2008, 01:32:58 AM »

I'd do a competent job as Governor, and we can't have that. Wink
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #241 on: December 18, 2008, 02:07:15 AM »

I'd do a competent job as Governor, and we can't have that. Wink

Of course we can.  We had me, and hopefully in January, we'll have me again.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2008, 05:03:09 AM »

I think debate has been sufficient...unless anybody has something important to say.

I'd like to call a vote on a constitutional convention.

Please vote AYE, NAY or abstain.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2008, 05:05:38 AM »

AYE
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2008, 10:50:30 AM »

As a Mideast citizen, I would urge Inks.LWC and Peter to vote AYE on the Constitutional Convention Petition.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #245 on: December 20, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »

Point of Order: There is no text of a resolution that we are voting on.

I motion the following text be introduced:

The Mideast Assembly refers the matter of whether to petition for a Constitutional Convention to a public vote.

Where it belongs in my opinion.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #246 on: December 20, 2008, 07:39:34 PM »

umm...well, yes, you're right, that would be the most fair and democratic way of doing it.

I accept your motion.

Let's vote on the text provided by Peter.

AYE
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #247 on: December 20, 2008, 11:21:59 PM »

On the following matter:

The Mideast Assembly refers the matter of whether to petition for a Constitutional Convention to a public vote.

I vote:

NAY

I would like to call on Governor Afleitch to propose this as a proposition.  In my opinion, this is something that ALL Mideasterners should have a say in.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2008, 12:44:26 AM »

Um, I believe that's what this is proposing, Inks.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2008, 03:32:23 AM »

On the following matter:

I vote:

NAY

I would like to call on Governor Afleitch to propose this as a proposition.  In my opinion, this is something that ALL Mideasterners should have a say in.

Umm..a public vote is exactly what is being suggested in this legislation...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies