Opinion of this 1964 Johnson campaign ad?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:50:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of this 1964 Johnson campaign ad?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of this 1964 Johnson campaign ad?
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Opinion of this 1964 Johnson campaign ad?  (Read 3143 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2008, 04:28:27 AM »

What a brutal and fierce campaign Johnson waged...

I bet opebo absolutely loves this ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWusOhZpq7w

AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:34:23 AM »

What a load.

Well it's not like I cared for Johnson before. Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:45:54 AM »

Didn't most of the guys that wore the sheets vote for Democrats most of their life?  Almost religiously?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »

Didn't most of the guys that wore the sheets vote for Democrats most of their life?  Almost religiously?

In 1944, there was a revolt against Johnson in Texas. After that, Stevenson and Carter were the only Democrats to win the whole Deep South. The Democratic Party had already moved too far to the left for the KKK at that point.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »

Democratic southerners stopped being racist in 1944?  Why do you think it took them so long after this date to become Republicans?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 02:01:18 PM »

Democratic southerners stopped being racist in 1944?  Why do you think it took them so long after this date to become Republicans?

I didn't say that. I said that the national party started becoming unpalatable to Southerners after said date.

The reason it took so long for the South to vote Republican was long-term Civil War hostility; Southern Republicans were still seen as scalawags. It took a long time for that perception to go away, and the Democrats are still very strong in the Deep South (minus Georgia).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »

Right.  That's what I was getting at.  It's funny that a Dem would use the Klan in this way since they've traditionally had the racist vote in the South.  I guess it worked for him though.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »

Funny coming from a virulent racist like Johnson.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Whoever put that quote up on that video is 100% right.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 04:04:33 PM »

Hubert Humphrey was a key player in getting civil rights onto the Democratic party platform, and he made that speech in 1944.

This marked the time when southerners began to leave the Democratic party and Minnesotans started leaving the Republican party. 

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »

Hubert Humphrey was a key player in getting civil rights onto the Democratic party platform, and he made that speech in 1944.

This marked the time when southerners began to leave the Democratic party and Minnesotans started leaving the Republican party. 

Only then? I thought Farmer-Labor had been around for many years by that time.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »

Yes, the Farmer-Labor party was really the 2nd party during the 1920s and '30s with governors, senators, and house members elected from the party...

But the liberal base was always split, so the Republicans pretty much took everything.

It wasn't until the parties merged in 1944, thanks in no small part to Humphrey, that the DFLers became competitive and started really winning.

The Republicans became more moderate during the depression, but conservative was a dirty word, and the DFLers were trying to out-liberal eachother (how times change).

After the war, the Republicans were a pretty moderate party while the DFL was center left.  Both parties were integral in the education and healthcare reform that led to the "Minnesota Miracle".

After Watergate, the Republicans changed their name to the Minnesota Independent-Republican party and kept that name for 20 years.

So yes, for most of Minnesota's history, we were a strong Republican state, but we were never the conservatives like the New England Republicans.  We were progressive Republicans, which is why Teddy Roosevelt did so well here.

North Dakota has had similar politics on a state level, and their Democratic Party is known as the Dem-NPL (non-partisan league) party.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »

I've noticed Pawlenty doesn't take after earlier Republicans much. But the DFL is the best major party in the nation.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »

No.  Pawlenty is much more conservative than earlier Republican governors.  The last Republican, Arne Carlson, was a big pusher of creating and expanding the MinnesotaCare program.  Originally it would have covered all Minnesotans that didn't already have health insurance... but he didn't want to raise taxes to do it, so they kept it to mostly working poor and single moms and their kids.

Jesse Ventura was actually to the right of Pawlenty on economics, but in a different way.  Ventura was tough on schools with his rhetoric but never cut school funding.  Pawlenty cut the funding and got it forced through the legislature. 

Pawlenty has basically been the MN Taxpayer's league's bitch.  To him, tax cuts come first and foremost whether or not it means actively neglecting constitution-set spending priorities (transportation and education).

The DFL only has to pick up a few seats and we will have a veto-proof majority in both the house and senate, making Pawlenty a lame-duck.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 06:36:21 PM »

The DFL only has to pick up a few seats and we will have a veto-proof majority in both the house and senate, making Pawlenty a lame-duck.

Smiley
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 08:24:39 PM »

Positive.  I'm not a fan of Johnson, but Barry Goldwater was a nut.  Though he got better with age, when he evolved into a libertarian with liberal tendencies.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »

It does serve to remind you that the kid gloves really are still on in this campaign.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 11:35:42 AM »

For the record, I voted "negative''.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies