Inks.LWC v. Governor of the Mideast (Benconstine)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:42:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Inks.LWC v. Governor of the Mideast (Benconstine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Inks.LWC v. Governor of the Mideast (Benconstine)  (Read 4522 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:18:53 PM »

May it please Judge HappyWarrior of the Honorable Mideast Superior Court to hear my case:

I ask that the original results of the Mideast Assembly race in the Mideast Ballot for August be counted and certified and I ask for an injunction against the current Mideast Assembly Elections for the following reason:

Governor Benconstine never officially tabulated and certified the results per Section 4, Clause 3 of the Mideast Election and Vote Regulations Statute, which reads: "When the period of voting has expired, the administrator of the voting booth shall post a declaration of the result in the voting booth, including all those votes which he has discounted, and the reasons for these votes being discounted."
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »

And HappyWarrior can promptly throw out the entire election as it wasn't conducted using STV.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »

And HappyWarrior can promptly throw out the entire election as it wasn't conducted using STV.

How do you figure?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 05:40:50 PM »

How do you figure?

Article III, Section 1, Clause 5:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Since the election wasn't administered in line with the constitutional specifications the entire thing is invalid.

At least in my opinion.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »

Useless case and total waste of time.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »

How do you figure?

Article III, Section 1, Clause 5:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Since the election wasn't administered in line with the constitutional specifications the entire thing is invalid.

At least in my opinion.

It was never certified, so it still could be certified as PR-STV.  That's my whole point.  Ben never counted to votes yet, so it's not that it wasn't administered inline with the specifications, it's that it hasn't yet been fully administered.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 08:05:09 PM »

The voting was done in such a way that it's impossible to say that it was conducted under PR-STV. Unless you're an awful liar or have no clue what STV is.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 08:45:02 PM »

The voting was done in such a way that it's impossible to say that it was conducted under PR-STV. Unless you're an awful liar or have no clue what STV is.

Ben never gave instructions though.  The vote could still have been conducted under STV regulations.  People didn't list preference, but in this case, everybody who ran got an equal number of votes (because I accepted Al's write in vote), therefore, the details of how the transfer votes occurred is not necessary.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 09:02:17 PM »

Someone's a sore loser
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 07:00:58 AM »

Once again, you have no clue what you're talking about. This is a waste of time because the wrong electoral system was used.

I don't care if I'm elected or not.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »

Once again, you have no clue what you're talking about. This is a waste of time because the wrong electoral system was used.

The wrong system wasn't used because NO system was officially used.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 02:57:40 PM »

Exactly. But the vote was conducted in such a way (bullet voting) so as to make the tabulation of the votes via PR-STV impossible.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 10:45:57 PM »

Exactly. But the vote was conducted in such a way (bullet voting) so as to make the tabulation of the votes via PR-STV impossible.

That's the way people voted.  A lack of explaining the process of voting does not violate the Mideast Election and Vote Regulations Statute Section 4, Clause 2 ("The administrator of a voting booth shall post links to all relevant statute regarding electoral law in the Mideast on the ballot."), because the direction to vote by PR-STV is not written in a statute, but rather the Constitution.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 01:21:05 AM »

That's the way people voted.  A lack of explaining the process of voting does not violate the Mideast Election and Vote Regulations Statute Section 4, Clause 2 ("The administrator of a voting booth shall post links to all relevant statute regarding electoral law in the Mideast on the ballot."), because the direction to vote by PR-STV is not written in a statute, but rather the Constitution.

Regardless of that, the election was not administered under a system of PR-STV as outlined in the Mideast Constitution. Therefore it was unconstitutional.

This really seems like an open and shut case to me. Hopefully Happy will clear this up soon enough.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 01:38:26 AM »

Regardless of that, the election was not administered under a system of PR-STV as outlined in the Mideast Constitution. Therefore it was unconstitutional.

This really seems like an open and shut case to me. Hopefully Happy will clear this up soon enough.

How was it not administered under that system?  It wasn't fully administered at all.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 01:45:32 AM »

How was it not administered under that system?  It wasn't fully administered at all.

You're saying the results have to be certified for the election to be invalid?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 01:50:59 AM »

Yes, and if the Governor certifies them in a way that makes them invalid (i.e.: doesn't use PR-STV), I will initiate a recall petition.  If he legitimately thinks that we need a revote, that's fine, but if he intentionally breaks the law to force a revote, that's unnaceptable.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 10:33:08 AM »

Yes, and if the Governor certifies them in a way that makes them invalid (i.e.: doesn't use PR-STV), I will initiate a recall petition.  If he legitimately thinks that we need a revote, that's fine, but if he intentionally breaks the law to force a revote, that's unnaceptable.

Hold on; why am I intentionally breaking the law here?  I think we need a revote; which is why I opened another booth.  The idea that I would intentionally break the law is quite absurd.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »

It is impossible to certify them properly.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 12:21:26 PM »

Hold on; why am I intentionally breaking the law here?  I think we need a revote; which is why I opened another booth.  The idea that I would intentionally break the law is quite absurd.

I didn't say that I thought you would.  The way Xahar said it seemed like he wanted you to break the law.

What you legally are obligated to do is count the votes, and not count anybody's votes for Assembly, because nobody voted correctly.  Since you still administered the voting booth under the law, you would then appoint the 3 assembly members.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 01:09:45 PM »

If it wasn't administered, then it wasn't administered under the system prescribed. Smiley
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 02:30:52 PM »

If it wasn't administered, then it wasn't administered under the system prescribed. Smiley

I said it wasn't fully administered.  The only thing he needs to do to complete the administration is certify the results, by using PR-STV
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 06:44:11 PM »

I have to agree with what seems to be the majority opinion here, you can not count a ballot that was done in the wrong format.  I advise a complete revote from start to finish.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 07:02:31 PM »

I said it wasn't fully administered.  The only thing he needs to do to complete the administration is certify the results, by using PR-STV

As I said, that is impossible because plurality-at-large voting was used.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 07:02:49 PM »

I have to agree with what seems to be the majority opinion here, you can not count a ballot that was done in the wrong format.  I advise a complete revote from start to finish.
In that case, I don't know if I can do this but someone with standing (cough, Inks, cough) should move to have this go to the Supreme Court as HappyWarrior has a clear conflict of interest.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies