CA 2010: Meg Whitman considering run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 03:32:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA 2010: Meg Whitman considering run
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA 2010: Meg Whitman considering run  (Read 3976 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »

link

ST. PAUL—The buzz at Republican National Convention is over how former eBay boss Meg Whitman is making the GOP circuits among top strategists and fundraisers as she sizes up the prospect of running for California governor in 2010. While some reports suggest that she's not trying to discourage talk of her run, top McCain associates and fundraisers say she is working hard to get herself ready for a campaign. "Oh, she's going to run," said a long-time McCain ally and California Republican National Convention delegate. "She's working people here," added a McCain fundraiser. Whitman, national co-chair of Sen. John McCain's campaign, was talked about as a vice presidential pick and has wowed Republicans with her political savvy. The Republicans expect her to face California Attorney General Jerry Brown, the former governor whose unusual approach to some issues led critics to dub him Gov. Moonbeam.

she'd probably be the GOP's best bet (though she wouldn't win,) and it's also interesting that they think they'll be facing Jerry Brown...
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 04:42:14 PM »

When I first read this I thought it said "Meg Ryan". Never heard of Whitman till the past month.

A Feinstein-Whitman race would be very interesting. Feinstein would still win, although I should say for the record that I've never seen Whitman and know nothing about her.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »

When I first read this I thought it said "Meg Ryan". Never heard of Whitman till the past month.

A Feinstein-Whitman race would be very interesting. Feinstein would still win, although I should say for the record that I've never seen Whitman and know nothing about her.

Her speech yesterday did not inspire confidence.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »

Can't the parties come up with better choices than those?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 02:30:41 AM »

I remember during the recall that Tom McClintock wasn't too awful. I didn't agree with him on anything but I had respect for him for being a serious candidate, which I didn't think Arnold was at the time.

For the Dems its either Feinstein (why does she bother you?) or former Governor Moonbeam. Villaraigosa would have been a choice before his sex scandal. And Newsome is even less of an option. His whole city has become a Republican codeword for debauchery. Another possibility is the guy who ran against Angelides in the primary, Steve Westly (sp?)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 02:45:12 AM »

I remember during the recall that Tom McClintock wasn't too awful. I didn't agree with him on anything but I had respect for him for being a serious candidate, which I didn't think Arnold was at the time.

For the Dems its either Feinstein (why does she bother you?) or former Governor Moonbeam. Villaraigosa would have been a choice before his sex scandal. And Newsome is even less of an option. His whole city has become a Republican codeword for debauchery. Another possibility is the guy who ran against Angelides in the primary, Steve Westly (sp?)

Feinstein is some deadwood that is very annoying on a lot of issues. It'd be amusing if Moonbean became governor at double the age of when he first became governor. Term limits were passed since he was governor, but he's still eligible for another 2 terms.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »

My first thought: Who?
My second thought: Who?

I support Jerry Brown. Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49:32 PM »

Feinstein for gov!!! Jerry Brown is also acceptable. Interestingly I think Newsom is running for it too although I doubt he gets anywhere.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »

It would be good to see her lose.

What is it with mayors of California cities and their affairs?  Such things are always disheartening, for me at least.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 11:25:37 PM »

Tom is running to be my new Congressman to replace scandal-plagued CA-4.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 12:28:09 AM »

I was hoping for Poizner or Eastwood. Whitman would be alright though.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 03:55:39 PM »

I'm hoping O'Connell throws his hat into the ring.  I think he would make a formidable candidate.

McClintock is pretty popular among conservatives, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the nomination - but he's a lot more conservative than much of the rest of the state and would likely have a lot of trouble in the general.

I don't know much about Whitman beyond a quick wiki check, but I don't recall self-made billionaires doing all that well in previous races.  (being a movie star/celebrity is a different matter though)

At first glance I thought this thread would be about Christine Todd Whitman doing a bit of carpetbagging...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies