Rate Palin's speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 05:09:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Rate Palin's speech
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Rate Palin's speech  (Read 13620 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2008, 12:26:48 AM »

Because you say such wonderful things about politicians you disagree with!

I know I'm wasting my time with you but I've never said anything that low.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2008, 12:27:23 AM »

http://www.drudge.com/archive/106692/author-mccain-called-wife-****-trollop
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »

Sounds questionable.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2008, 12:29:17 AM »

Somewhere between a B+ and an A-

Republicans will think she hit it out of the park (Ghost thinks she is a better orator than Obama), but in reality she held her own.

I think she "defied expectations" for the media but not this forum, so the press will cover the presentation favorably.  Anyone smart already knew she could give a decent speech and she's an intelligent woman, but the media isn't smart, so there we go.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2008, 12:30:41 AM »

Huh? He did call her a c**nt and he admits it. I am not making a big deal of it because it was back in 1989 and we all know Mccain is one angry little man.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2008, 12:34:26 AM »

Not surprising about the tame reaction to such a disturbing comment. I bet if TxGurl was more of a regular poster and saw that she'd call him out. If someone called Obama a dumb n*gger they'd be all over that poster and pushing for a ban.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2008, 12:38:16 AM »

Not surprising about the tame reaction to such a disturbing comment. I bet if TxGurl was more of a regular poster and saw that she'd call him out. If someone called Obama a dumb n*gger they'd be all over that poster and pushing for a ban.

There are many, many insults you could use before being racist. The difference is that when you call someone a c**nt or a bitch or a dick you are attacking them personally. When you say dumb n you are implying a whole race of people are dumb and you are using a very offensive word to that community.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2008, 12:42:44 AM »

There are many, many insults you could use before being racist. The difference is that when you call someone a c**nt or a bitch or a dick you are attacking them personally. When you say dumb n you are implying a whole race of people are dumb and you are using a very offensive word to that community.

Calling someone a "dumb" something doesn't preclude a "smart" something.  So, I'd say they are equal. 

As too it being "offensive," it depends on the context.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2008, 12:44:31 AM »

Calling someone a "dumb" something doesn't preclude a "smart" something.  So, I'd say they are equal. 

As too it being "offensive," it depends on the context.

Meh, maybe it's a regional thing. Around here you'd get your face slapped off if you said it to a woman.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2008, 12:46:17 AM »

If someone called Obama a dumb n*gger they'd be all over that poster and pushing for a ban.

I appreciate those comments coming from the possible first Negro President.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2008, 12:47:47 AM »

If someone called Obama a dumb n*gger they'd be all over that poster and pushing for a ban.

Thanks for quoting me out of context, moron. That second quote was completely tongue and cheek if you follow along with SBanes post. So gtfo "author".
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2008, 12:49:06 AM »

Thanks for quoting me out of context, moron. That second quote was completely tongue and cheek if you follow along with SBanes post. So gtfo "author".

Don't you have a country to secede from?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2008, 12:50:45 AM »

Don't you have a "book" to write?
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2008, 12:52:17 AM »

Don't you have a "book" to write?

I do, actually.  I really should be working rather than reading about the election.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2008, 01:57:21 AM »

Lydia Green loathes her, is the Republican President of the Alaska State Senate. Plus, due to her alliance with the Democrats in the Senate and her decision to retire, she has nothing to lose by going nuclear. If Palin plans to run on this "reformer" thing, an ad by Green, think "the real Sarah Palin" would be devastating in October. And perfectly acceptable if Palin is an attack dog.

Hahahaha.  Did you HEAR her today on NPR?  She was complaining that Palin was too hard on the oil companies.  I mean, doesn't Palin realize how important they are to Alaska's economy?
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2008, 02:16:46 AM »

Lydia Green loathes her, is the Republican President of the Alaska State Senate. Plus, due to her alliance with the Democrats in the Senate and her decision to retire, she has nothing to lose by going nuclear. If Palin plans to run on this "reformer" thing, an ad by Green, think "the real Sarah Palin" would be devastating in October. And perfectly acceptable if Palin is an attack dog.

Hahahaha.  Did you HEAR her today on NPR?  She was complaining that Palin was too hard on the oil companies.  I mean, doesn't Palin realize how important they are to Alaska's economy?

The actual difference is over which oil companies and which pipelines. Green is aligned with Exxon. Palin wants a deal with TransCanada Corp. to build a 30 billion dollar pipeline to Alberta which will then meet up with the Canadian refineries in one giant means of transporting oil and natural gas across North America. Not a bad plan. Only two problems.

1. Can you imagine the temptation for a terrorist to blow a several thousand mile pipeline or the difficulty guarding it?

2. It relies on Canadian corporation. The big fight in Alaska has been over whether to start the American(ie. Alaskan) part of the project before the Canadians commit, which they are unlikely to do until after their own elections this year. Palin, as she expressed in her speech thought it was worth it to start now. Green wanted to wait, feeling that if we spent money first, we would be in weaker position vis-a-vis the Canadians in splitting the cost.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2008, 02:18:32 AM »

Expectations were low.

The speech was well constructed and well delivered. I think the criticisms of Obama were much more personal than those attacking McCain during the DNC. Which did make her look bitchy.

B-
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2008, 03:32:47 AM »

I agree. Their salad is delicious, but their pasta was mediocre the only time I went there. The same thing is true with Greek places. My family refuses to go eat at them.

Go to Chicago young man, for the Greek places. There is one decent Greek place in LA, down in San Pedro.

Definitely Chicago, Halsted street to be precise.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »

A-

exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »

It was alright, but nothing Earth shattering. I give it a B.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #145 on: September 04, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »

My favorite part of the speech wasn't anything Palin said or did, it was those few brief moments where Palin's daughter licked her fingers and used it to brush down Trig's hair.

Yeah, I called my partner back in to the living room to watch that on replay. He'd wandered off, bored.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2008, 08:13:51 AM »

A

I must say, not even Obama's speech activated me like she did last night. Man, Obama must have raised a cool million plus on the interwebs during the speech.

So, good going Sarah, activate those partisan dems by saying community service doesnt count!!!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2008, 08:45:15 AM »

hahaha . . . yup, I did misspell that.  Must have been typing to fast.  Great catch!  Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »

My favorite part of the speech wasn't anything Palin said or did, it was those few brief moments where Palin's daughter licked her fingers and used it to brush down Trig's hair.

Yeah, I called my partner back in to the living room to watch that on replay. He'd wandered off, bored.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who caught that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2008, 09:55:31 AM »

we'll see.  I thought it a well-delivered endorsement of McCain peppered with some exaggerated but humorous jabs at the Democrats.  I was sufficiently moved.  I may not vote for them, but I did buy fifty shares of TRP for 36.50 per this morning a few minutes after the NYSE opened.  Its one-year high was around 44 and low around 31.50.  At 15.9, he p/e ratio is a little high, but the beta value is 0.43, so I don't think it's a huge risk.  Yesterday I read that TRP acquired Bison Pipeline LLC, which is planning a pipeline in the northern intermontaine West, from Wyoming to North Dakota, and of course Palin is a drilling advocate and last week signed a contract to build a $26 billion natural gas pipeline with TransCanada Corp.  We're small players, never risking more than a few thousand dollars worth of any particular stock at a time, but I'm hoping the public likes her enough to look into her over the coming weeks and ultimately drive the stock up a little between now and election day.  Depending on polling data in late October I'll decide whether to hold it or sell.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies