|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:20:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: .  (Read 4027 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2008, 03:38:15 PM »

We don't argue that you can't criticize Palin because she's a woman. I'm tired of hearing about how smart and fair you are when you use stuff like this.

The woman thing is the McCain campaign today and their surrogates. Carly Fiorina had a stupid comment about it. No one here is doing it, at least, no one's doing it that I've cared about.

No, they didn't say that you can't criticize her. Again, you're bending what is being said.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »

Certainly Palin has been held to a double standard that would not be applied to a male. 

I'm going to let this statement stand on its own, because the rejoinder is too obvious.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Which basically no one has been saying. I brought it up as something I thought some conservative independents might feel, and that's been borne out anecdotally by random mother chat. I didn't say it, I don't think anyone else did, and for damn sure no Democrat or Democratic surrogate said anything like that.

This defense line IS Harriet Miers 2.0.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »

No, they didn't say that you can't criticize her. Again, you're bending what is being said.

If people criticize her on substantive grounds, and then Fiorina and Rosario Marin come out and say she's a being attacked because of sexism, that IS saying you can't criticize her because she's a woman. No one would come out and say that, because it sounds as stupid as it is. The whole point is to bully people into laying off of her. It's not going to work, but I don't think they're thinking clearly about this so much as trying any kind of defense they can to stall until she speaks herself tonight and changes the subject.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2008, 03:45:28 PM »

Specifically, the charges that she is somehow neglecting her family and a down syndrome baby by trying to further her own career.  Because a woman should take care of the family first, hur hur hur.

Which basically no one has been saying. I brought it up as something I thought some conservative independents might feel, and that's been borne out anecdotally by random mother chat. I didn't say it, I don't think anyone else did, and for damn sure no Democrat or Democratic surrogate said anything like that.

I'll ask again:  are you honest about anything any more?  Sally Quinn?  Andrea Mitchell?  The press this week is lousy with example after example.  You've managed to miss all of them?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »

If people criticize her on substantive grounds, and then Fiorina and Rosario Marin come out and say she's a being attacked because of sexism, that IS saying you can't criticize her because she's a woman. No one would come out and say that, because it sounds as stupid as it is. The whole point is to bully people into laying off of her. It's not going to work, but I don't think they're thinking clearly about this so much as trying any kind of defense they can to stall until she speaks herself tonight and changes the subject.

It depends on what these "substantic" attacks are. Like is she really Pro Woman as a Pro Lifer?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2008, 03:51:26 PM »

Sally Quinn?  Andrea Mitchell?  The press this week is lousy with example after example.  You've managed to miss all of them?

I don't watch tv news. I don't know what the hell reporters say, but whatever it was, Andrea Mitchell is not a spokeswoman for the Democratic Party and was likely bringing it up the same way I did, as in, "would anyone else think that?"

Anyway, if you have a link to someone on tv attacking Sarah Palin for neglecting Trig by running for office, put it up. If it's a respected journalist or someone known to be affiliated with Obama, even better.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »

It depends on what these "substantic" attacks are. Like is she really Pro Woman as a Pro Lifer?

I posted the body of this elsewhere, but the meat is in the last paragraph.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/212890.php
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »

If team McCain correographed all of this, they are freaking geniuses. Getting the press hounds to chase down this rogue hare is just what the doctor ordered.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »

If team McCain correographed all of this, they are freaking geniuses. Getting the press hounds to chase down this rogue hare is just what the doctor ordered.

I would hope TPM is only claiming they choreographed Johnston's arrival in MSP, and not the whole announcement!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2008, 04:26:06 PM »

There have been natural disasters under Palin's tenure - at a minimum,  river flooding in the Fairbanks area, a fire on the Kenai Peninsula and a Volcano Eruption in the Aleutians.  Count the number of state agencies involved in the recent Chena River Flood.  Hint: The Alaska Army National Guard was there  (along with the Alaska Air National Guard, Alaska State Troopers, and Alaska Homeland Security... among many others).

Come on, though. Do you think Palin was hands on in helping to put out that fire in the Kenai Peninsula as Commander of the Alaska National Guard? I'm sure she got some reports from them, that's great, but do people really think that hearing "there's a fire" "we're fighting it" "fire's out" is the kind of standard that is so awesomely executive that it outweighs Barack Obama, say, meeting with foreign leaders?

Meeting with foreign leaders during a political campaign?  Please.  Palin can have a magical mystery tour of Europe, too.  Big deal.

Was Palin hands on putting out a fire?  No. That's stupid - she's not a firefighter.  But from what I understand, the Alaska Department of Forestry - a state agency - was responsible for coordinating the firefighting.  And I'm sure it was a multi-agency effort - state, local and federal forces fighting a natural disaster.  Just like Chena River flood - relief efforts seem to have been headed by the North Star-Fairbanks Borough, but the state pitched in.  Sarah Palin was ultimately responsible for the state's efforts - and signed a disaster relief declaration.  That's one more disaster relief declaration than Obama, Biden and McCain have signed - combined.

Keep moving the goalposts and underestimate Sarah Palin at your own risk.
MatthewZD
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -1.04

« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2008, 06:36:27 PM »

Has anyone tried to think about the government experience of Obama and Palin in private sector terms?  I've been thinking about it a bit and I'm not 100% satisfied with the analogy, but this is one way of looking at it. 

One spent 6 years managing a small business and the last nearly two years as the district manager of a small branch of a larger business.  During that capacity this person had hands-on experience in balancing budgets, making decisions, negotiating and signing contracts to expand the business, and delegating authority to various members of her staff.

One was a human relations rep before becoming a consultant for small local branches for 7 years and then for the larger business for most of the last 4 years.  During this capacity this person attended numerous meetings in which the business practices were discussed with other consultants before reaching a group decision.

Now, which of the two would be the best person to be groomed to be the CEO?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies