|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:17:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: .  (Read 2695 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:46:56 PM »
« edited: August 29, 2009, 06:47:52 PM by emailking »

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:48:38 PM »

The only way she could get off the ticket after she was nominated would be to remove herself.

However, there's window for her to do this. States are going to start printing ballots within the next two to three weeks, possibly sooner.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:51:28 PM »

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks.

I suppose she could remove herself at any time though. The electors would jsut vote for mcCain's backup VP even though the ballots would reflect her name if she came off too late.

Isn't the vote binding in some states? If McCain won the election *shudder*, Palin still might not get 270 electoral votes, and the Senate would choose the winner.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:52:03 PM »

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks.

I suppose she could remove herself at any time though. The electors would jsut vote for mcCain's backup VP even though the ballots would reflect her name if she came off too late.

Generally yes, but there are some states where electors are legally bound to vote for the candidates selected by the state.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:52:43 PM »

If it happened, I would be congratulating Obama for being the 44th president of the US.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:45:31 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks McCain wouldn't be finished if he dumped Palin like tomorrow? There is still 2 months to recover. It would be a serious blow but I don't see it being fatal.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 01:11:06 AM »

If he drops her he will definitely lose support. It won't be massive but in a close election like this, probably enough to ensure his defeat.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 01:14:14 AM »

Attempting to shove someone else in before the convention vote could also lead to a bloody situation where some disgruntled delegates cast votes for Palin anyways (and maybe even nominate her over McCain's replacement candidate).

An absurd hypothetical of course.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 01:24:12 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks McCain wouldn't be finished if he dumped Palin like tomorrow? There is still 2 months to recover. It would be a serious blow but I don't see it being fatal.

It could be fatal and, unless something really bad comes out, not Bristol's baby, she still isd a plus.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 01:44:53 AM »

I agree with you, Aizen. I also think there is about a 40% chance that she gets dumped some point before the election. MSM is slowly picking up on the "dump Palin" idea already.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 01:59:13 AM »

I agree with you, Aizen. I also think there is about a 40% chance that she gets dumped some point before the election. MSM is slowly picking up on the "dump Palin" idea already.

Duh. The Left wing media is sexist.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 02:50:52 AM »

"Kicked off"? No.

Asked to resign, for her family (which in this case, would actually be somewhat of a plausible excuse)? Possibly. I still want to see her "Checkers" moment, though.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 03:01:16 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2008, 03:03:18 AM by Politico »

I still want to see her "Checkers" moment, though.

Not gonna happen. Let's face it: When it comes down to it, Palin is just an inexperienced governor from a town of 9,000 in Alaska. If Palin were a man, she never would have even been considered for the position. There are far more qualified candidates out there, so why choose her over them simply because she's a woman?

McCain royally screwed this up. It just goes to show you that all of the experience in the Senate does not necessarily amount to wise judgment in key personal decisions. McCain would be wise to dump Palin and beg Romney to join him on the ticket before Wednesday night.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 03:02:00 AM »

What exactly did Palin do wrong Politico?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 03:06:57 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2008, 03:08:29 AM by Politico »

It is unclear if she was forthcoming with the McCain camp about her daughter's pregnancy. It is unclear if somebody should put a political campaign before the needs of their family (i.e., a pregnant 17 year old daughter, a four-month-old daughter with down syndrome, who knows what else...and you're running a political campaign?)

The Alaska Troopergate Story is quite smoky and damaging whether or not there is any fire to it. Do Republicans really want to take the risk of finding out days before the election that she did something wrong and, as a result, the Alaskan Legislature is taking action to impeach Governor Palin due to her actions?

The choice was a major screw up simply by seriously violating rule number one of every running mate: Do no harm to the ticket.

It doesn't help that McCain's first and second choices were reportedly Joe Lieberman and Tom Ridge...Why did McCain not go with his first or second choice?

What a mess! Drop Palin before it's too late!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 03:10:52 AM »

It is unclear if she was forthcoming with the McCain camp about her daughter's pregnancy. It is unclear if somebody should put a political campaign before the needs of their family (i.e., a pregnant 17 year old daughter, a four-month-old daughter with down syndrome, who knows what else...and you're running a political campaign?)

Should Al Gore stopped being a politician when his son got busted for smoking weed?
perdedor

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 03:11:43 AM »

Palin isn't going anywhere. The process of replacing her would be a media mega-catastrophe. Then again, Palin is slowly poisoning a campaign that all ready tragically ill and will thus do more harm than good for McCain.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 03:12:05 AM »

Should Al Gore stopped being a politician when his son got busted for smoking weed?

No because there is nothing wrong with smoking weed.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 03:13:08 AM »

No because there is nothing wrong with smoking weed.

And her daughter is basically an adult.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 03:13:26 AM »

The only way she will go is if she herself withdraws her candidacy. That will be a sad day for Democracy, considering that she had done nothing at all worthy of a resignation.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 03:14:08 AM »

Al Gore admitted that he himself had smoked weed.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 03:14:59 AM »

The only way she will go is if she herself withdraws her candidacy. That will be a sad day for Democracy, considering that she had done nothing at all worthy of a resignation.

The delegates still get to choose the Vice Presidential nominee. Yes, I know that they will of course choose her, but they still have the formal vote.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 03:15:44 AM »

And, I bet you could find a female in your family who was pregnant at 17. It's not very uncommon.

I can think of at least 2 or 3 off the top of my head. Young doesn't equal wrong.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 03:17:13 AM »

18 or older is an adult. Not 17.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 03:17:44 AM »

And, I bet you could find a female in your family who was pregnant at 17. It's not very uncommon.

I can think of at least 2 or 3 off the top of my head. Young doesn't equal wrong.

True, I have a relative who was pregnant at 17, but her mother had died and her father was an alcoholic.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies