Who won the white male vote in 1960?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:44:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who won the white male vote in 1960?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who won the white male vote in 1960?  (Read 9645 times)
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »

Anyone know?  I've been trying to find that on the net, with no luck.   

Thanks.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 07:16:22 PM »

I'd guess Nixon.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »

I'd bet Kennedy; 1960 was the last election where African Americans voted, barely, Republican.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »

I'd bet Kennedy; 1960 was the last election where African Americans voted, barely, Republican.

I do believe JFK won the black vote by a substantial margin.   I'm guessing something like 70 to 30, especially after RFK bailed MLK out of jail.  Or something to that effect.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:21:45 PM »

I do believe JFK won the black vote by a substantial margin.   I'm guessing something like 70 to 30, especially after RFK bailed MLK out of jail.  Or something to that effect.
Yeah blacks voted for the Democrats after the New Deal, but I think it is possible they voted for Eisenhower.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 10:20:01 PM »

No Voting Rights Act until 1964, remember, and Eisenhower did use federal troops to enforce court ordered discrimination.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 07:49:58 AM »

Blacks haven't voted Republican since 1928. The closest they came since then was Ike's 39% in 1956. The Civil Rights act moved Blacks from being 70% Democratic to 90% Democratic.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 02:53:42 PM »

Nixon won 32% of the African-American vote in 1960 and Eisenhower in 1956 was the most successful Republican Presidential candidate amongst blacks since 1928 - he won the endorsement of Adam Clayton Powell, for example. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 03:34:24 PM »

Why do people believe to have exact data on the question?

The way I recall it is that Eisenhower and Stevenson split the black vote pretty close to 50-50, but really it's anybody's guess.
I do know there's some anecdotal evidence of a gender gap to it, Black women voting for Ike, Black men staying with the Democrats.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 02:08:58 AM »

What I heard was that Hoover won blacks in 1932, but the New Deal convinced them to vote Democratic ever since.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 02:10:48 AM »

No Voting Rights Act until 1964, remember, and Eisenhower did use federal troops to enforce court ordered discrimination.

Yeah, so Eisenhower probably did much better than the recent 12% or so showings by the Republican party. That doesn't mean that he won them.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 03:25:03 AM »

Nixon won 32% of the African-American vote in 1960 and Eisenhower in 1956 was the most successful Republican Presidential candidate amongst blacks since 1928 - he won the endorsement of Adam Clayton Powell, for example. 

Are you sure about that?  I had thought that Nixon had a serious chance of carrying the black vote outright, until the Kennedy/King connection, and then it went something like 60-40 for Kennedy, but still not even close to a blow out.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 04:03:38 AM »

I believe the black vote was heavily Democratic during the FDR years but then trended Republican in the 50s and it was looking like a key constituency to fight for towards the end of that decade. Then, with the nomination of Kennedy and the Republicans going for the Dixiecrat vote instead it all changed. Nixon was the last Republican to get a substantial share of the black vote. I believe exit polling or whatever indicated he got around a 3rd. Given the segregation of black communities it shouldn't be too hard to calculate a rough approximation though should it?

As for the white male vote, I would definitely guess at Nixon winning it. Minorities were more Democratic then whites and I think women were more Democratic than men? Especially, one would have expected more women to fall for the Kennedy charm... Wink
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 05:28:53 AM »

Given the margin - my money is on Nixon
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 07:09:30 AM »

I've seen some studies done in Boston of how different ethnic groups voted and, IIRC, the swing with blacks was lower than average (but then the swing around there was really, really quite violent). Ages seen I've seen it though, so maybe my memory is wrong.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 07:10:34 AM »

I've seen some studies done in Boston of how different ethnic groups voted and, IIRC, the swing with blacks was lower than average (but then the swing around there was really, really quite violent). Ages seen I've seen it though, so maybe my memory is wrong.
Given that it's Boston... that makes sense.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »

I believe the black vote was heavily Democratic during the FDR years but then trended Republican in the 50s and it was looking like a key constituency to fight for towards the end of that decade. Then, with the nomination of Kennedy and the Republicans going for the Dixiecrat vote instead it all changed. Nixon was the last Republican to get a substantial share of the black vote. I believe exit polling or whatever indicated he got around a 3rd. Given the segregation of black communities it shouldn't be too hard to calculate a rough approximation though should it?

Yup. Eisenhower racked up unprecendented margins in inner cities, sending the Democratic Party into a tizzy.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 08:12:09 PM »

As for the white male vote, I would definitely guess at Nixon winning it. Minorities were more Democratic then whites and I think women were more Democratic than men? Especially, one would have expected more women to fall for the Kennedy charm... Wink

Wasn't there a nonexistent gender gap back then? (or maybe even women being more GOP than men)
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 08:42:24 AM »

So nobody knows a rough approximation to the white male vote in 1960?   Was there not exit polls back then, or any other method to gauge the demographic breakdowns of the Kennedy v. Nixon race?     Seems kinda strange to me.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 11:06:51 AM »

Wasn't there a nonexistent gender gap back then? (or maybe even women being more GOP than men)

I've heard Nixon won the female vote in 1960. I believe as late as 1976 there was no gender gap at all and Carter won men that year. It wasn't until 1980 that it really showed up.

Probably due in part to Democrats as of 1960 actually being generally the more hawkish of the two parties, and also the fact that unions had much greater influence back then and men made up the vast majority of their membership.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 12:42:45 PM »

And because elections were largely fought along class lines then.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »

I've heard Nixon won the female vote in 1960. I believe as late as 1976 there was no gender gap at all and Carter won men that year. It wasn't until 1980 that it really showed up.

Probably due in part to Democrats as of 1960 actually being generally the more hawkish of the two parties, and also the fact that unions had much greater influence back then and men made up the vast majority of their membership.

Also many more women work outside the home than did back then. Both now and in the past, working women have been more Democratic than stay-at-home women; the gender gap is primarily caused by more working women.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 05:20:32 AM »

What swing? 1956 to 1960? I believe the black vote swung more than the nation as a whole from 1952 to 1956, fwiw.

But was there no gender gap back then? I always assumed that the gender gap was pretty eternal (I've always imagined men as more right-winged than women in a general sense). That is interesting.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 01:13:40 AM »

While I realize that a lot of people like to guess, here's data from Gallup for 1960:

Group                    Kennedy          Nixon

Men                            52                 48
Women                       49                 51

White                         41                 59
Non-white                  61                 39

Oh, and the Non-White vote varied drastically by state.  There's some good data in the book, The Ethnic Factor.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 02:22:20 AM »

What swing? 1956 to 1960? I believe the black vote swung more than the nation as a whole from 1952 to 1956, fwiw.

But was there no gender gap back then? I always assumed that the gender gap was pretty eternal (I've always imagined men as more right-winged than women in a general sense). That is interesting.

I think that's true, but the parties were both a lot more ideologically diverse back then.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies