Paul Begala is deathly afraid of Palin.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:32:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Paul Begala is deathly afraid of Palin.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Paul Begala is deathly afraid of Palin.  (Read 2868 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »

This guy is human trash.

He's going on and on about how this is such a great pick for the Dems but how he is very, very afraid if McCain becomes President. Living up to his status as a piece of filth, Begala repeats how McCain is in his 70s and has had cancer twice before, basically telling people, "Hey, the old guy is going soon!" He is absolutely outraged that McCain would choose Palin to be the Commander in Chief.

Quick history lesson for everyone - Paul Begala is our favorite wonk from the old Clinton Administration. I wonder if Paul himself remembers these days because his complaints about Palin seem pretty familiar to complaints about his former boss.

Palin - Governor for almost two years now.

Clinton - He has the clear advantage here. He was Governor for twelve years when he was elected President.

Palin - Begala is going crazy about her foreign policy experience.

Clinton - Enlighten me, folks. The Governor of Arkansas is dealing with exactly how much foreign policy?

Palin - Governor of a small state. Oh no!

Clinton - Governor of...a small state.

Wait...what was it that Paul was afraid of? But perhaps the best part of all of this is that Begala admitted, in an interview that just aired on Anderson Cooper's 360, that Obama is inexperienced but it's ok because of "democracy." The people chose him and we have to live with it. When Alex Castellanos, a Republican strategist, stated that the McCain - Palin ticket ought to have a chance for the people to pass judgement on them, Begala stated that it isn't the same. "You don't vote directly for Vice President." Poor, poor Paul. I can't stand the guy but I expected something not so assinine.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:50:41 PM »

i like begala.

but i had to turn him off tonight.  he is being especially obnoxious.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »

In 1992, Arkansas was 5 times the size of Alaska.  Just saying.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »

You couldn't hold Paul Begala's jock, buddy.

Bill Clinton won 2 presidential elections on the backing of his advice.

He has also won countless Congressional races.

You, on the other hand?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:53:32 PM »

i like begala.

but i had to turn him off tonight.  he is being especially obnoxious.

And especially ignorant.

Not to be nit-picky but it was closer to four times the size of Alaska in 1992 but that's not the point. It is still one of the smallest states in the country.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:54:08 PM »

You, on the other hand?

...am a twenty year old still in college? Uh...yeah. Give me a call when someone does what you just said at the age of twenty.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:54:55 PM »

You, on the other hand?

Yes, winning election is a wonderful standard for the quality of a human being.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 09:55:40 PM »

Begala's cool. I met him once.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 10:03:53 PM »

Not to be nit-picky but it was closer to four times the size of Alaska in 1992 but that's not the point. It is still one of the smallest states in the country.

True, I was just pointing out that there's a difference.  Plus, Bill had been Governor for close to 12 years, while Palin has been Governor from less than 2 years.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 10:06:05 PM »

True, I was just pointing out that there's a difference.  Plus, Bill had been Governor for close to 12 years, while Palin has been Governor from less than 2 years.

So tell me about the foreign policy experience of a Governor of a small southern state.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »

So tell me about the foreign policy experience of a Governor of a small southern state.

Not much, but he has 6 times as much executive experience, which counts for something.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 10:10:56 PM »

Not much, but he has 6 times as much executive experience, which counts for something.

Fine but Begala was going crazy about how we'd be in serious danger with her as Commander in Chief. Meanwhile, he promoted a man with just as much foreign policy experience from a small state for the top job.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 10:11:38 PM »

But Sarah Palin having more executive experience than Obama or McCain counts for nothing.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 10:11:48 PM »

Fine but Begala was going crazy about how we'd be in serious danger with her as Commander in Chief. Meanwhile, he promoted a man with just as much foreign policy experience from a small state for the top job.

I think in 1992 foreign policy wasn't as important as it is in 2008.  Of course, I wasn't around, but that's my thought.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 10:20:44 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2008, 10:39:10 PM by Torie »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Off topic, but as a naughty admission, I quite enjoy the youthful slams that are put it here. Things are posted that would not be posted on a more aged site - stuff I might have posted once, but have long since ceased doing as the hormones wane. And so it goes. Smiley

By the way, off topic, but  that piece of "human trash" Gergen says Obama is up by 8% now, which means it must be other than 8%. Why is Gergen on the air, ever? He then ranted about Palin and abortion, slipping off his ersatz above the fray pedestal. He cares.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 10:34:16 PM »

There might be some for Alaska because Alaska does have two international boundaries, as opposed to to those foreigners in LA and OK.

It's not a lot of foreign policy experience, but neither would be being governor of AR. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 11:24:18 PM »

There might be some for Alaska because Alaska does have two international boundaries, as opposed to to those foreigners in LA and OK.

Sure but we have to be fair and admit that that isn't much foreign policy experience. If that was fine with the beloved diplomat Bill Clinton (the man who served as President for eight years) than it ought to be good enough for Sarah Palin.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 11:33:04 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2008, 11:42:18 PM by PPTE Meeker »

Governor's actually have more foreign policy experience than people might think. It's not really in the geopolitical/military sense, it's almost entirely in a business/commerce/technology type sense. But there is a lot more interaction than people would think off hand. So I wouldn't say Palin, or Clinton in 1992, had zero foreign policy experience.

However, Obama and Biden have scads more foreign policy experience than Palin (or Palin and McCain combined).

But then again, the team we had leading us into the Iraq War was one of the most experience foreign policy team in American history.

I don't really have a conclusion here. Just food for thought.

Oh, and as for Begala, eh. He's kind of a douchebag, yea. But he's our douchebag.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »

However, Obama and Biden have scads more foreign policy experience than Palin (or Palin and McCain combined).

But where it really matters - at the top - there is no contest.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »

Because, as we all know, Barack Obama will be locking Joe Biden in a room and never listening to him for advice.
RJ
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 11:43:33 PM »

Comparing Palin to Clinton 92' is a totally ridiculous comparison. There are many more contraasts and profound differences than comparisons. Clinton, for one, was at the top of the ticket while Palin is the veep. The two also have very different backgrounds and are polar opposites politically. It was also 16 years ago.  Palin is going to be deferring to McCain and his staff about matters like foreign policy(should they win this thing) while Clinton was supposed to have those characteristics already.

Besides, I say political experience is overrated.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 11:49:50 PM »

Because, as we all know, Barack Obama will be locking Joe Biden in a room and never listening to him for advice.

Then there is little point in who the President is, right?

Clinton, for one, was at the top of the ticket while Palin is the veep.

Which only reinforces my point! The former Presidential candidate (and President) with just as much foreign policy experience as the current Vice Presidential candidate is ok but that Vice Presidential candidate isn't experienced enough?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not comparing it that way. We're comparing their foreign policy experience and the size of the states that they governed.

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »

Then there is little point in who the President is, right?

When it comes to deciding foreign policy goals, to some extent, yes. It's very much a collaborative effort, and I know Obama will be listening to Biden, his Secretary of State, and many others.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 11:52:17 PM »

When it comes to deciding foreign policy goals, to some extent, yes. It's very much a collaborative effort, and I know Obama will be listening to Biden, his Secretary of State, and many others.

So Palin as Vice President couldn't possibly upset you, correct?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 11:53:54 PM »

So Palin as Vice President couldn't possibly upset you, correct?

There are quite a few reasons other than her extreme lack of foreign policy experience to question her being picked.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies