Corporal Punishment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:37:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Corporal Punishment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which best decribes your attitude toward corporal punishment in U.S. public schools?
Corporal punishment is never justified

It is justifiable in extreme cases

It is justifiable most or all of the times it's used

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Corporal Punishment  (Read 12087 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »

After reading all of that I have no frickin idea how you support corporal punishment still. That is pretty disgusting that parents would want to do that to their kids and then use the Bible as justification.

There's a big difference between being spanked, and actual physical or psychological abuse. Trust me, I've had friends that had absolutely horrible things done to them. They'd take offense to hearing the two compared.

Well good for you, but some kids honestly need it. As for me I was pretty well behaved as a kid but I'm not going to pretend I never deserved it.
Well for me any of it sounds like abuse but then again it has never been to me so that probably explains why. IMO only 10-20% kids need corporal punishment.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 08:25:13 PM »

I had no spanking at all and no corporal punishment and I turned out perfectly fine while I was very rebellious as an elementary school kid.
Well I was spanked before I was in elementary school and I wasn't (that) rebellious at that age.  Maybe spanking makes for more behaved kids?

(I'm not actually making that claim.  I was just pointing out how unimportant anecdotal evidence is.)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »

I had no spanking at all and no corporal punishment and I turned out perfectly fine while I was very rebellious as an elementary school kid.
Well I was spanked before I was in elementary school and I wasn't (that) rebellious at that age.  Maybe spanking makes for more behaved kids?

(I'm not actually making that claim.  I was just pointing out how unimportant anecdotal evidence is.)
hahaha I hate anectodal evidence too, but it had to be brought up. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 06:45:49 PM »

I strongly oppose corporal punishment. A civilized nation doesn't resort to physical violence to extract obedience (except in extreme circumstances such as capital punishment).
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 06:49:35 PM »

I hate it. It is not the best way to get something done. For example It is not the right way to get accurate information on "terrorist". They will just lie so it will stop.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »

I don't support it.  But...

Is it corporal punishment if my daughter is reaching for a hot iron and I swat her hand away?

I can see why parents spank if their toddler runs into the street or something.  I do not see much sense in it in situations where instant reinforcement is not needed.

Though I did smack my daughter on the back of the leg once.  She was five and she hit her mother.  I whacked her pretty good on the fatty part of the leg, just one time.  She bawled and I felt like Hitler. I should not have done it, but I do think disrespect to her mother cannot be tolerated.

I do believe there is a difference between spanking and beating a child.  My father spanked me once.  My mother never.  She just beat me with the nearest blunt object.  Thankfully, it was not often.

As to schools, never.  EVER.  Even some private Christian schools refuse to use corporal punishment.  Some still do, however. 

Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 08:03:16 PM »

If you spank your kid I guess it is OK but not beating them. My mom did the samething when I ran into the street and it never happened again.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 10:12:23 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2008, 07:26:38 AM by nclib »

Is it corporal punishment if my daughter is reaching for a hot iron and I swat her hand away?

Physical acts necessary to protect someone are a totally different concept from punishment after the fact.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 11:24:03 PM »

Justifiable in extreme cases. There may well be cases where violence against a student would help prevent further violence being committed by said student, though the burden of proof should generally be on the one perpetrating said preventative violence to show that it is necessary.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 08:01:04 AM »

I used to pray I wouldn't get paddled at school, cause the old man's belt coming off when I got home would have been far worse.

I survived.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 08:09:57 AM »

Do we know where Sarah Palin stands on corporal punishment?  And would she be willing to give demonstrations?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 09:30:17 AM »

Do we know where Sarah Palin stands on corporal punishment?  And would she be willing to give demonstrations?

In your dreams old man.  Wink

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »

In your dreams old man.  Wink

Wait honey!  Wheel me back to my room so I can fetch my teeth!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 03:06:17 AM »

Approve.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »

It clearly does not work and is not appropriate.

It did when I went to school.  It was a deterrent.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 05:50:01 PM »

It can work.  In some kids.  But sometimes, the teacher bashing the kid's knuckles with the ruler did nothing but confuse him.  That was before we knew about ADHD, learning disabilities and so forth.

The other problem comes with administration of the punishment.  I got into a fight with one of our high school's football players.  I was in 9th grade, he in the 11th.  A teacher caught us fighting and sent us to the principal.  He was about to whallop both of us with a paddle (standard for fighting) when the coach strutted in. 

I got it.  Football boy didn't. I was seriously pissed off. My folks were old school -- they were just upset at me, cause they couldn't control the school or someone else's kid.  (I didn't understand that then, but now that I am a parent, I do.)

Bottom line, I kept fighting.  But after school...off school grounds.  So it kinda worked.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2008, 09:55:59 PM »

It can work.  In some kids.  But sometimes, the teacher bashing the kid's knuckles with the ruler did nothing but confuse him.  That was before we knew about ADHD, learning disabilities and so forth.

The other problem comes with administration of the punishment.  I got into a fight with one of our high school's football players.  I was in 9th grade, he in the 11th.  A teacher caught us fighting and sent us to the principal.  He was about to whallop both of us with a paddle (standard for fighting) when the coach strutted in. 

I got it.  Football boy didn't. I was seriously pissed off. My folks were old school -- they were just upset at me, cause they couldn't control the school or someone else's kid.  (I didn't understand that then, but now that I am a parent, I do.)

Bottom line, I kept fighting.  But after school...off school grounds.  So it kinda worked.

Learn to pick your fights better. Smiley
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 07:01:42 PM »

Learn to pick your fights better. Smiley

The fight with the older, more developed football player was no choice on my part.  He walked by me as the school day was beginning and smashed my face into my locker.  He didn't even know me, nor I him.  I socked him in the jaw, he pushed me to the ground and was about to start wailing on my when a teacher broke it up and took us to the principal.

I did fight him again -- one of those arranged things after school.  He put a serious hurt on me but I am still proud to say, when it was over, you could tell he'd been in a fight, too.

Now, for you teenagers here on the forum...maybe this will help.

About 10 years after high school, I was home visiting and awfully sick with flu.  I went to this gas station called "Swifty" where they pump the gas for you.  I just didn't feel like getting out of my car in the middle of winter.  And who was pumping my gas but this loser?  Believe it or not -- he was still wearing his football letter jacket with his name and "Class of 81" on the front.  It was 1993.  He didn't recognize me and I didn't bother to say anything.  Adulthood does something for you.  But I also remembered feeling like he was the very definition of success in high school. 

Later, I found out that he'd been in and out of jail, mostly on marijuana charges.  He was never good enough at football to get a scholarship anywhere.  I almost felt bad for the guy.

So -- moral of the story -- the punk who's dishing out the horsesh**t today may be your gardner or your bellhop tomorrow.  As Jesse says, "keep hope alive".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies