Corporal Punishment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:55:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Corporal Punishment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which best decribes your attitude toward corporal punishment in U.S. public schools?
Corporal punishment is never justified

It is justifiable in extreme cases

It is justifiable most or all of the times it's used

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Corporal Punishment  (Read 12089 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:10:07 PM »

While I don't believe corporal punishment is ever justified, this report shows how horrific the practice is and that it is used for minor offenses.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »

It might be justifiable in extreme cases (as in the kids were assaulting someone or broke laws), although the potential for abuse is alarming. I'd prefer it was used in the criminal justice system more so than schools.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:03:54 PM »

It might be justifiable in extreme cases (as in the kids were assaulting someone or broke laws), although the potential for abuse is alarming.

I suppose in the case of a kid assaulting someone, teachers could use physical force necessary to protect themselves/other students, but I would never approve of it being used as a punishment after the fact.

I'd prefer it was used in the criminal justice system more so than schools.

While I don't support corporal punishment for criminals, I am much more opposed to corporal punishment of children than of criminals.

Map of which states allow corporal punishment (red = ban CP; blue = allow CP). Not many surprises.

Image Link
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:53:51 PM »

For schools it's option 1 - corporal punishment should be applied rarely (limited to light spanking by hand or perhaps a smack to the face in some more extreme situations) and only then by the parents.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »

Corporal Punishment needs to be banned everywhere. It doesn't even work.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:59:21 PM »

I agree pretty much what Dibble said. I could possibly only justify for response to violent behavior, but discipline is the responsibility of a parent and not the school. If a teach corporally punishes my child for a reason other than violent behavior, then there is a good chance I will corporally punish the teacher. (Ok, maybe not, but I will have words with the teacher.)

Yeah, it just teaches kids if the other person is smaller than you, you can use force to get your way.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:21:43 PM »

I agree pretty much what Dibble said. I could possibly only justify for response to violent behavior, but discipline is the responsibility of a parent and not the school. If a teach corporally punishes my child for a reason other than violent behavior, then there is a good chance I will corporally punish the teacher. (Ok, maybe not, but I will have words with the teacher.)

Yeah, it just teaches kids if the other person is smaller than you, you can use force to get your way.
exactly. It's a soundly negative influence in place of a correctional one.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 10:36:03 PM »

Never justified.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 12:28:42 AM »

I think it's hard to justify at home.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 12:34:34 AM »

I think it's hard to justify at home.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 04:03:11 AM »

This was in the news recently. Which is good because I don't think most people in the Northeast or on the West Coast are even aware that its still legal and being used. I didn't know it was legal until one of my teachers said it was used at her last school.

I hate how every time corporal punishment is talked about, people over 40 say something like "Well it worked for me....". With that logic, we'd still be using wagons and hanging people.

This is one of those issues where Europe and other civilized places just shake their heads and laugh at our stupidity.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 09:14:18 AM »

..and if they group us all together as if we're all guilty, they are just as stupid.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 10:13:07 AM »

Allowing teachers to beat children is an open invitation to sadists and perverts to join the teaching profession.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 10:17:49 AM »

Yeah!  We'd be better off if they were foster parents, cops, clergy and correctional officers! Smiley

(I'm joking of course, I agree with your point.)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 01:06:23 PM »

= assault
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »

I think it is acceptable in mild forms in extreme cases.

If my young toddler tried to run out into a street with cars in it, I'd grab him and spank him on the butt once and yell at him.

This will scare the hell out of him, which he should be.  The yelling, of course, is more effective than the spank on the butt.

Otherwise it is not really acceptable.  Rewarding good behavior is much more effective than punishing bad behavior.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 04:25:52 PM »

In schools, no.  Hell no.

What parents choose to do is an entirely different matter...and they should be free to use (mild) physical means of discipline if they choose.
perdedor

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »

Assault should always be illegal. Period. Dressing it up as a traditionalist discipline lesson and calling it "corporal punishment" does not make it any better.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »

I don't have a problem with mild forms in the home (it's the way I've been brought up), but at school? I can't see a reason it'd ever be needed.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 07:58:51 AM »

Map of which states allow corporal punishment (red = ban CP; blue = allow CP). Not many surprises.

Image Link

Interestingly, no state which bans capital punishment also allows corporal punishment.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 06:33:20 PM »

I'm somewhere between option 2 and option 3.  I strongly believe in corporal punishment and I strongly believe, if used properly, is NOT abuse or assault.  Kids nowadays are growing up without much discipline in the home and that is a major cause of their misbehaving in school and in society.  Why do you think we have so many criminal offenders in their teens and early 20s?  The book of Proverbs says to "spare not the rod".  A father or a mother cannot avoid spanking at all costs.  The spanking DOES get the message across when used in conjuction with grounding or yelling or other forms of discipline.  It turned me around.  I even agree with it in the school system, but only administered by the principal behind closed doors with the presence of another administrator or faculty member so the chances of abuse to the child and/or false allegations of abuse by the child are lessened (they can never be totally avoided).  I'm very old school when it comes to corporal punishment.

I also am strongly against the government telling parents how to raise and discipline their children.  If abuse is happening, it will be exposed.

Now, having said that, I do strongly agree that there is a point to where the corporal punishment is used TOO much to where it does become abuse, or to where it is rendered ineffective.  There is a very fine line when it comes to not only spanking, but all types of discipline.

And, lets not go into the cases where the child, usually a hormonal teenager, actually ENJOYS being spanked.  That can and does happen.

In a lot of people I know that are my age, it wasn't so much the spanking that hurt the most, it was the look of disappointment on their parent's faces.  That is far more piercing and excruciating than the hard swats of daddy's belt.  I should know, I got 8 swats with a 2x4 in the 6th grade because of 8 zeroes (7 in English, 1 in Social Studies), just two days after my 13th birthday.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 06:36:12 PM »

I'm between 1 and 2; voted for 1.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 07:27:02 PM »

Kids nowadays are growing up without much discipline in the home and that is a major cause of their misbehaving in school and in society.  Why do you think we have so many criminal offenders in their teens and early 20s?
Juvenile delinquency has actually gone down considerably since the early '90s. Furthermore attributing it to 'kids' implies that it's not gender specific. That's demonstrably false, it's mostly young men committing crime - especially violent ones. The truth is that America has serious issues with the 'roles' and expectations placed on young men and women in our culture. Unless it addresses that, we're going to see men acting in increasingly dysfunctional and immature ways.

Now with that said I don't think corporal punishment really has anything to do with that, although I think it would provide a reasonable deterrent and/or form of social control in some cases.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »

I'm somewhere between option 2 and option 3.  I strongly believe in corporal punishment and I strongly believe, if used properly, is NOT abuse or assault.  Kids nowadays are growing up without much discipline in the home and that is a major cause of their misbehaving in school and in society.  Why do you think we have so many criminal offenders in their teens and early 20s?  The book of Proverbs says to "spare not the rod".  A father or a mother cannot avoid spanking at all costs.  The spanking DOES get the message across when used in conjuction with grounding or yelling or other forms of discipline.  It turned me around.  I even agree with it in the school system, but only administered by the principal behind closed doors with the presence of another administrator or faculty member so the chances of abuse to the child and/or false allegations of abuse by the child are lessened (they can never be totally avoided).  I'm very old school when it comes to corporal punishment.

I also am strongly against the government telling parents how to raise and discipline their children.  If abuse is happening, it will be exposed.

Now, having said that, I do strongly agree that there is a point to where the corporal punishment is used TOO much to where it does become abuse, or to where it is rendered ineffective.  There is a very fine line when it comes to not only spanking, but all types of discipline.

And, lets not go into the cases where the child, usually a hormonal teenager, actually ENJOYS being spanked.  That can and does happen.

In a lot of people I know that are my age, it wasn't so much the spanking that hurt the most, it was the look of disappointment on their parent's faces.  That is far more piercing and excruciating than the hard swats of daddy's belt.  I should know, I got 8 swats with a 2x4 in the 6th grade because of 8 zeroes (7 in English, 1 in Social Studies), just two days after my 13th birthday.
After reading all of that I have no frickin idea how you support corporal punishment still. That is pretty disgusting that parents would want to do that to their kids and then use the Bible as justification. I had no spanking at all and no corporal punishment and I turned out perfectly fine while I was very rebellious as an elementary school kid.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 07:41:43 PM »

After reading all of that I have no frickin idea how you support corporal punishment still. That is pretty disgusting that parents would want to do that to their kids and then use the Bible as justification.

There's a big difference between being spanked, and actual physical or psychological abuse. Trust me, I've had friends that had absolutely horrible things done to them. They'd take offense to hearing the two compared.

I had no spanking at all and no corporal punishment and I turned out perfectly fine while I was very rebellious as an elementary school kid.

Well good for you, but some kids honestly need it. I'm not going to deny I was asking for it a few times.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies