Scottish Ward Maps - coloured by party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:25:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Ward Maps - coloured by party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Scottish Ward Maps - coloured by party  (Read 18879 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »
« edited: August 28, 2008, 06:45:30 PM by afleitch »

No data on them yet for the Islands councils.

The lighter colour signifies one seat (out of 3 or 4), the medium 2seat and the darkest 3 seats

First up, the Tories and the Lib Dems

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:51:48 PM »

Great stuff; keep 'em coming or I'll have to kill you. And I'll be able to, maybe; I'm in Scotland for a week starting Sunday (Dumfriesshire and Stewartry, mostly).
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »

Great stuff; keep 'em coming or I'll have to kill you. And I'll be able to, maybe; I'm in Scotland for a week starting Sunday (Dumfriesshire and Stewartry, mostly).

I see you've caught on to the fact I somethimes give up on these things half....

Don't worry. I've almost finished Labour and the SNP. I'll post them in the next fifteen mins or so. As for Dumfries, that sticks in my mind. I'm sure you go there every now and then IIRC?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 05:17:28 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2008, 06:21:34 PM by afleitch »

First up, the SNP. Note the use of only 2 colours here - the SNP do not have more than w councillors per ward - as parties go they have the most even representation nationwide.

The second map is of course Labour.

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »

Will you do smaller parties (the SSP, Solidarity, Greenies, and all the other thingees)?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 05:31:23 PM »

Will you do smaller parties (the SSP, Solidarity, Greenies, and all the other thingees)?

Yes. Independents dominate in Moray, Highlands and most of Argyll as well as a few other places. I'll make maps of them and add in the 2 elected SSP/Solidarity councillors (one who has since defected to the SNP) and the 8 Greens (5 in Glasgow, 3 in Edinburgh IIRC. Hell, the Gorbals even elected one Smiley )
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »

I see you've caught on to the fact I somethimes give up on these things half....

Of course, I can hardly complain as I have a hab...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's right; lovely area.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:49:56 PM »

Now for some comment Smiley

The Conservatives

The blue areas correspond to where the Tories are either strong or have residual presence (refer to a 1983 constituency map for example) They hold a seat in every ward in Dumfries and Galloway, South Ayrshire and hold one on all but one ward in the Borders and in Perthshire.

Notice their support (represented by the mid colour) in Ayr, Edinburgh Pentlands and much of East Renfrewshire. They have sizeable representation in Edinburgh and in East Renfrewshire. However note the situation in the are covered by the Dumfries constituency. They perform very well there but do not hold the seat. Far from it in fact.

Also, from a local viewpoint notice the modest Tory revival in southern Lanarkshire, holding seats in Hamilton, East Kilbride and even Motherwell. The ward in which I stood is in the middle of those three dots Sad where the first preference vote was pretty high but...painful wound aside. Smiley

The lone blue dot in Glasgow is Pollockshields.

The Liberal Democrats

The vote here is concentrated where they hold seats - Edinburgh West, Kincardine, Borders, North East Fife (with three seats in St Andrews) They are also heavily concentrated in Gordon - despite Salmond winning the seat here. This helps demonstrate the obvious and subsequently precarious ; it was a person vote. They are very strong in Aberdeenshire in Aberdeen itself.

They are broadly represented in the Highlands but are less represented than the Tories in most of West Central Scotland and the South West. Though they have waning support around Greenock and perform well in Paisley and suprisingly; around Rutherglen. Note the East Dumbartonshire support where they hold a seat in Westminster. Also note how the town of Dunfermline now has a sizable Lib Dem concentration (Labour have no councillors in two of the wards here) after their Westminster win and subsequent victory in 2007
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »

First up, the SNP. Note the use of only 2 colours here - the SNP do not have more than w councillors per ward - as parties go they have the most even representation nationwide.

Which seems oddly right in some ways; the flip side is that they have at least one seat just about everywhere.

Dalbeattie with a Labour councillor is a surprise, but that's PR, I guess. What's the very red area in South Lanarkshire? Looks like Biggar and so on, but I wouldn't have thought that Labour would do that well there.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »

That's right; lovely area.

I was there for the Guid Nychburris week a few years back. It was pretty good fun.

Just don't mention Queen of the South...or maybe do as they did get to (and drop out of) European football. Nothing to be embarrased about there and the Doonhammers behaved themselves when the town decamped to Glasgow for the Cup Final in May Smiley
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »

Dalbeattie with a Labour councillor is a surprise, but that's PR, I guess. What's the very red area in South Lanarkshire? Looks like Biggar and so on, but I wouldn't have thought that Labour would do that well there.

Oh bllks. Hang on a minute...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »

The Clydesdale balls up has been sorted. Thank you Al for spotting a mistake in my own backyard :/

I'll go over them all again later and make sure there are no small mistakes elswhere.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 07:05:25 AM »

Something I did elsewhere using that polling stations data stuff; this is for Galloway & Upper Nithsdale (Dumfries will follow)...

----

Number of (aggregated) polling stations won by each candidate in some selected towns (outlying villages not included)...

Castle Douglas: Morgan 3, Fergusson 2
Newton Stewart: Fergusson 2, Morgan 1
Gatehouse of Fleet: Fergusson 2
Kirkcudbright: Fergusson 3, Morgan 1
Dalbeattie: Morgan 5
Sanquhar: Hodgson 2

Stranraer is hard to work out, but it appears to be something like: Morgan 4, Fergusson 4, Hodgson 2. To add to the confusion,one of Hodgson's two is an aggregate of several small polling stations (presumably in the centre of Stranraer, could be wrong about that of course) and had a lot more votes in it than others.

Needless to say, the rural areas largely voted for Fergusson, often overwhelmingly.

Other things to note; Richardson polled as many as 22 votes in one village near Stranraer (presumably he lives there), Cooper's vote seems to have been fairly evenly distributed.

Looking at the regional vote now we get...

Stranraer: Labour 6, SNP 2, Con 2
Newton Stewart: SNP 2, Con 1
Gatehouse of Fleet: Con 2
Kirkcudbright: SNP 3, Con 1
Castle Douglas: SNP 3, Con 2
Dalbeattie: SNP 5
Sanquhar: Labour 2

Interestingly, the Tory lead over the SNP on the regional vote here was only 1,387.

Ticket splitting data. Not all diddy parties included...

Fergusson: Con 96.7%, SNP 8.1%, Labour 12%, LDem 21.9%, UKIP 60.9%, Greens 22.4%, Oldies 46.8%, Fundies 59.2%, BNP 43%, TommyTrots 14.1%, Trots 13.6%, Stalinists 16.8%

Morgan: SNP 87.6%, Labour 10.8%, Greens 36.1%, LDem 11.8%, Con 1.5%, Oldies 25.3%, BNP 30.6%, TommyTrots 41.4%, Fundies 17.6%, Trots 37.5%, UKIP 11.6%, Stalinists 9%

Yes... more Labour voters voted for Fergusson than Morgan. In this constituency, of all constituencies. Astonishing.

Two other things; the Stalinist % for Hodgson was only slightly lower than the Labour %. Though rather more people voted Labour than for Scargill's sad little outfit. And a plurality of Richardson's vote came from the Greenies.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »

The same for Dumfries as for Galloway:

Dumfries: Murray 31, Tosh 0 (ah, but how do thee define Dumfries... I went with the polls that seem to cover the continuous built-up-area. For the record, Tosh won a couple of, basically, commuter villages around the town)
Locharbriggs-Heathhall: Murray 5, Tosh 0
Annan: Murray 10, Tosh 0
Lockerbie: Tosh 4, Murray 0
Lochmaben: Murray 2, Tosh 1
Moffat: Tosh 3, Murray 0
Langholm: Tosh 3
Gretna: Murray 2, Tosh 1

Tosh won most rural polling stations, but not always especially strongly. Interestingly, he also won the postal votes.

Looking at ticket splitting data, Murray took 95% of Labour voters and carried the Green, TommyTrot, Trot, Stalinist and Oldies votes. More SNP and LibDem voters went with Murray than Tosh.

I might do the regional stuff later, might not. Ticket splitting patterns here not so interesting as in Galloway. Anyway. The basic pattern is what I'd always suspected.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2009, 03:53:51 PM by afleitch »

I am in the process. of making maps coloured by winning party.

There are two ways of doing this. Either you add up the party totals (Labour ran the most candidates) or you simply take the winning candidate.

There are problems with both. The SNP candidate topped the poll in most Glasgow wards because in all but one they ran only one candidate while Labour ran two or three. In the overall party map, some single party candidates who ran away with the vote (like in the Bothwell) were pipped because another party ran two candidates, one who was elected and the other, an effective paper candidate who gathered just a few hundred.

The best thing to do is read both together.
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 04:03:27 PM »

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post.

I've been doing the same thing as afleitch but for each council separately.  The way I hit on is that the winning party is the one that wins the most seats in a ward.  If there is a tie for seats, then I look at the order the candidates were elected.  So for example in East Kilbride West the three seats split C-Lab-SNP, but the SNP candidate was elected first.

I like names on my maps...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »

Names on the maps are certainly helpful for people who have only a passing knowledge of what's where. Smiley
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post.

I've been doing the same thing as afleitch but for each council separately.  The way I hit on is that the winning party is the one that wins the most seats in a ward.  If there is a tie for seats, then I look at the order the candidates were elected.  So for example in East Kilbride West the three seats split C-Lab-SNP, but the SNP candidate was elected first.

I like names on my maps...

I like Grin Shows what a computer literate person can do! I think your idea of displaying results - winner of most seats except where there is a tie combines both party strengths and the strong 'individual' vote in some areas.

And welcome to the forum. Nice that you've done my home turf (I stood in Hamilton North and East) There's alot of maps etc on this particular board, so it's worth doing a search as you might something interesting. I tend to concentrate on Scotland, Glasgow, Boundary Commission Reviews etc and posters like Al looks at Wales and so on.

Please do post again Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »

Welcome; I've used your site as a quick reference thing for a few years now Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »

Nice site!
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 05:00:43 AM »

Many thanks for the nice comments about the site!

Anyway, I thought I'd keep going with another Scotland 2007 map to keep on topic.  West Lothian:

andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »

Midlothian:

Perth and Kinross:

Clackmannanshire:

andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 05:39:54 AM »

Stirling:

Eilean Siar (Western Isles).  Note the Gaelic ward names:

East Ayrshire:

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »

Marvellous stuff Smiley

I'm paying close attention to local results in order to try and produce 2011 'notionals' for the new Holyrood seats. However these are not set in stone and many are likely to be overturned with the exception of Glasgow, Dundee and North Ayrshire. Falkirk is also not up for review, however may see some changes as the counter proposals for dealing with West Lothian (instead of crossing over to Lanarkshire) involve changes in Falkirk.
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 11:02:30 AM »

Shetland:

East Lothian:

Renfrewshire:

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length