NYC Mayor 2009: Bloomberg - No Term Limits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:57:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor 2009: Bloomberg - No Term Limits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NYC Mayor 2009: Bloomberg - No Term Limits  (Read 10968 times)
Conan
conan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:39:53 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/nyregion/23bloomberg.html?hp
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Competent, successful leadership....what they hey? Bloomberg is a great mayor and I don't think NY will be introduced to hyper corruption like some other cities by this. I think it should be strongly considered.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:50:46 PM »

I would very much like Bloomberg to continue on as mayor, but I'm not sure he could actually win that battle (that is, the one to repeal term limits) against the NYC Democratic Party.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »

I would very much like Bloomberg to continue on as mayor, but I'm not sure he could actually win that battle (that is, the one to repeal term limits) against the NYC Democratic Party.

I could see it hurting him politically especially if it's unsuccessful but ether way regardless.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:03:14 PM »

The deal with the council would naturally be an agreement to do away with term limits for them.

Naturally, I oppose both changes wholeheartedly and there would be a lawsuit if he tried to do it without voter approval.

Keep in mind that this a-hole Bloomberg is already trying to kick out my state senator using one of Schumer's lackeys.  And now he's buying off papers to endorse his idea.  No thanks.
Conan
conan

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:32:44 PM »

The deal with the council would naturally be an agreement to do away with term limits for them.

Naturally, I oppose both changes wholeheartedly and there would be a lawsuit if he tried to do it without voter approval.

Keep in mind that this a-hole Bloomberg is already trying to kick out my state senator using one of Schumer's lackeys.  And now he's buying off papers to endorse his idea.  No thanks.
He offered newspapers money?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 11:41:13 PM »

Or some type of cash equivalent.  Whichever, I don't like his general action in this regard.
Conan
conan

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 11:45:07 PM »

Or some type of cash equivalent.  Whichever, I don't like his general action in this regard.
I would hold the same opinion, but I look at the people running and his record of accomplishment and I don't think the others match up.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 12:02:23 AM »

I would hold the same opinion, but I look at the people running and his record of accomplishment and I don't think the others match up.

Of course they don't - but this is personal for me, not political.  Besides, you would also have to take away term limits for City Council people and that's the last thing you want.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 12:27:37 AM »

Term limits are lame. I'm glad we don't have them (for anything) in Washington.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 10:53:23 AM »

I hope so, not that I love Bloomberg but considering the shape Democrats left NY in, and the fact I wish to continue to travel there without being mugged its best he stay in.  Anthony Weiner is a complete moron
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »

I hope so, not that I love Bloomberg but considering the shape Democrats left NY in, and the fact I wish to continue to travel there without being mugged its best he stay in.  Anthony Weiner is a complete moron

Although Dinkins is widely reviled, the downturn in crime actually began during his administration, not Giuliani's.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 12:43:16 AM »

who is your state Senator?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »

Although Dinkins is widely reviled, the downturn in crime actually began during his administration, not Giuliani's.
Crime downturn and fixing up are two different things.  He made the city into a place that families could feel safe about going, I'll use 42nd street as the example (only because that's what my grandma who hasn't been to the city in awhile uses for any awful place Tongue)  It went from strip clubs and swingers bars to having the world's largest Toys R Us and the ESPNZone.

Plus, when you look at the crop of Dems, its scary.  Anthony Weiner?  Yikes
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 09:23:30 PM »

who is your state Senator?

Connor
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 01:30:08 AM »

Hmmm I always thought Spade like Bloomberg.

Crime downturn and fixing up are two different things.  He made the city into a place that families could feel safe about going, I'll use 42nd street as the example (only because that's what my grandma who hasn't been to the city in awhile uses for any awful place Tongue)  It went from strip clubs and swingers bars to having the world's largest Toys R Us and the ESPNZone.

Wow. Giuliani was AWFUL.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 08:54:42 AM »

You thought wrong, brtd
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 10:08:36 AM »

I am just in disbelief
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 10:15:02 AM »

I don't like nanny states.  Police states I can handle.

Besides, I would say that the homeless/begging population has doubled (at least) in NYC over the past 6 months.  They're even starting to creep into my neighborhood.  That I cannot stand for and the cops don't seem to care.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »

Besides, I would say that the homeless/begging population has doubled (at least) in NYC over the past 6 months.  They're even starting to creep into my neighborhood.  That I cannot stand for and the cops don't seem to care.

Economic downturn affects everyone. I haven't noticed anything, but, then again, I only see Manhattan on a regular basis.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 11:05:19 AM »

No, no, no I was in disbelief that BRTD thought wrong Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 11:43:28 AM »

Koch was the one who shut down the grindhouses on 42nd St, not Giuliani.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »

Koch was the one who shut down the grindhouses on 42nd St, not Giuliani.

Another HP.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 12:43:14 PM »

Koch is the one who *started* the redevelopment, but in the early 1990s there was still plenty of prostitution/adult clubs still going on there.  Not that I necessarily prefer the change, actually.  Tongue

Just FYI, the key development occurred during the mid-1990s when Giuliani's people were able to get the zoning of that area changed to eliminate grandfathered adult businesses.
RBH

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 08:18:06 PM »

Any picks as to which line(s) Bloomberg tries to run on?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 08:22:08 PM »

Any picks as to which line(s) Bloomberg tries to run on?

Republican and Independence. Maybe Liberal if he tries to revive it. Were it not for the term limits controversy, Bloomberg might have been popular enough to win the Democratic nomination as well (or not, depending on your point of view), but as is he certainly won't have it. Obviously not Conservative or Working Families.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies