Hard hitting Obama ad: McCain owns SEVEN houses (OMG)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:52:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Hard hitting Obama ad: McCain owns SEVEN houses (OMG)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Hard hitting Obama ad: McCain owns SEVEN houses (OMG)  (Read 11553 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »

For comparison:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2008, 03:50:01 PM »

So basically all you have proven, Brittain, is that there are alot more editors who are dying to play "gotcha" with John McCain.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2008, 03:51:28 PM »

McCain can't remember how many houses he owns, yet Obama is the elitist candidate.

Interesting.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »

So basically all you have proven, Brittain, is that there are alot more editors who are dying to play "gotcha" with John McCain.

Perhaps. But it's also a much catchier story, for various reasons.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »

Maybe if Obama bitchslaps McCain hard enough for being "rich" it will make him feel better about the brother he has left to starve.

You really need to give it up, already. Sorry, Soulty. That dog won't hunt.

Why should I?  Barack obviously hasn't given up on his ways yet.  This ridiculous attack on McCain is just proof of that.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2008, 03:53:32 PM »

Well, of course, people will always care more about tarring the Rich white guy in America, than they do about actually helping the poor black guy in the Third World slums.

Even when that guy is the brother of a major party nominee for President.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2008, 03:54:22 PM »

McCain can't remember how many houses he owns, yet Obama is the elitist candidate.

Interesting.

One can be a hobo and still an elitist, Meeker. Haven't you ever heard of Napoleon in rags?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »

Interesting.

One can be a hobo and still an elitist, Meeker. Haven't you ever heard of Napoleon in rags?

No.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »

BTW... here is another obvious difference... McCain didn't go head hunting for the story about Obama's brother.  Obama obviously launched this attack on McCain.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »

Maybe if Obama bitchslaps McCain hard enough for being "rich" it will make him feel better about the brother he has left to starve.

You really need to give it up, already. Sorry, Soulty. That dog won't hunt.

Why should I?  Barack obviously hasn't given up on his ways yet.  This ridiculous attack on McCain is just proof of that.

I suppose like McCain you think the economy is fine, right?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2008, 03:57:06 PM »

Well, of course, people will always care more about tarring the Rich white guy in America, than they do about actually helping the poor black guy in the Third World slums.

True to an extent (people always care more about things happening in their world) but the McCain thing has something else going for it; it's a fairly straightforward gaffe. And in the world of 24 news... much easier to cover really.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2008, 03:57:37 PM »

Of course. What else is campaign coverage ever about? You track which stupid non-story has become the event of the week. For the first time in a while, it's not favoring McCain.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »

BTW... here is another obvious difference... McCain didn't go head hunting for the story about Obama's brother.  Obama obviously launched this attack on McCain.

And McCain will respond with something Rezko related. Such is politics these days.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2008, 03:59:55 PM »

You know, I really don't enjoy this kinda campaign, but I have no problem with it if the other guy persists in being vicious, and that is about all we have heard out of Obama's "new politics" since May.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »

Be honest. How much energy did you expend thinking about helping poor people in Third World slums before it became something that could be used against Obama, rather clumsily?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:07 PM »

No, he launched "vacuous, elitist Hiltonian" story, and then Obama retorted with this out of desperation.  They both have comparable substance, as far as I'm concerned:

McCain's having investment houses doesn't have much to do with his being rich, which he is, and which may affect his policies maybe sort of.

And Obama having an enthused base doesn't have much to do with his being arrogant, which he is, and which may affect his behaviors maybe sort of.

Individuals are entitled to judge those two arguments on their individual merits, but totally discounting them to the point of "McCain is right, Obama is making stuff up!" or vice-versa kind of misses the point, IMHO.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »

Rogers didn't need to say that as a response to the ad.  All he had to say is that they were a collection of investment properties belonging to his wifes portfolio.

I don't think any answer involving "investment properties" and "portfolio" are going to help defend against an attack that McCain is so obscenely wealthy he doesn't have to worry about how many houses he owns. "My wife made me do it" is even worse for projecting a manly, self-made image. Besides, it's not true; he spends time at a bunch of them depending on the time of year and what kind of vacation or amenities he might be seeking.

What about Kerry?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:53 PM »

Be honest. How much energy did you expend thinking about helping poor people in Third World slums before it became something that could be used against Obama, rather clumsily?

Actually, I think my statements show that I am, by far, one of the most pro-foreign aid peopel on this forum, Republican or Democrat.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2008, 04:03:02 PM »

Exactly. A stellar candidate, was he?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »

And McCain will respond with something Rezko related. Such is politics these days.

Actually, all this type of back-and-forth crap does is excite the bases - which is probably the point.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2008, 04:04:25 PM »

Actually, I think my statements show that I am, by far, one of the most pro-foreign aid peopel on this forum, Republican or Democrat.

That may well be the case, but "foreign aid" has very little to do with what Barack Obama's stranger of a half-brother is doing with his life.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2008, 04:04:38 PM »

No, he launched "vacuous, elitist Hiltonian" story, and then Obama retorted with this out of desperation.  They both have comparable substance, as far as I'm concerned:

McCain's having investment houses doesn't have much to do with his being rich, which he is, and which may affect his policies maybe sort of.

And Obama having an enthused base doesn't have much to do with his being arrogant, which he is, and which may affect his behaviors maybe sort of.

Individuals are entitled to judge those two arguments on their individual merits, but totally discounting them to the point of "McCain is right, Obama is making stuff up!" or vice-versa kind of misses the point, IMHO.

I'd buy that if this weren't the standard line of attack for Democrats.  Run a rich guy and then accuse the other guy of being rich.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2008, 04:05:27 PM »

Interesting.

No.

That was a joke. Although if the Democrats ran a hobo I'm sure the Republicans would try to say he looked down on the pigeons or something.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2008, 04:06:48 PM »

Actually, all this type of back-and-forth crap does is excite the bases - which is probably the point.

Well it certainly has done here...
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2008, 04:07:41 PM »

He was a poor candidate in general, but I'm referring to the outrage (or the lack there of) by the Democrats for his wife's financial assets, including multiple homes.  That's why I think this is a non-issue for Democrats and the general public, and people who are "outraged" by McCain's financial situation due to marriage yet supported Kerry without a similar "outrage" are simply being hypocritical.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies