Hard hitting Obama ad: McCain owns SEVEN houses (OMG)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 02:49:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Hard hitting Obama ad: McCain owns SEVEN houses (OMG)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Hard hitting Obama ad: McCain owns SEVEN houses (OMG)  (Read 11536 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »

The more Obama does and the more you find out about his past the more you realize the worse Obama is than the average politican.

Hell, he gets a call from his old college friends before the New Hampshire primary right after he gets out of jail with nothing asking if he could help him. What does Obama do? He talks to him for a little bit, doesn't help him, tells his staff to tell him to get help with social services and to not to direct the calls to him anymore.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »

Will Democrats now admit their candidate is rutting around in the dirt like any other political animal does?

I'd take pleasure in seeing contrition from any Democrat naive enough to think Obama wouldn't attack like a politician. If so, they weren't paying attention when his campaign attacked Hillary Clinton for insulting Martin Luther King, Jr. back around the time of the N.H. primaries for her statement about LBJ.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 02:03:10 PM »

This isn't about McCain owning seven houses, its about him being such a rich pompous ass that he forgot the number of houses he has as if every American has seven houses.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 02:03:45 PM »

Oh, and why won't Obama help support his impoverished half-brother?

Maybe for the same reason that "only child" Cindy doesn't support her half-sisters.

Oh, well its nice of you to provide that explanation.

I had never though of Obama as the kind of person Cindy McCain is, but now you've lowered my evaluation of him.  Does he use and steal drugs as well?  Oh, and does Cindy's sisters live on less than a dollar a month?  Perhaps you could name them and tell me about the huts they live in.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 02:05:17 PM »

McCain's camp is REALLY pulling out all stops

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0808/The_POW_card.html#comments

The POW card

Eric Kleefeld notices that McCain aides referred back to McCain's time as a prisoner of war in Vietnam in defending him from the mockery over his houses.

This is a guy who lived in one house for five and a half years -- in prison," says spokesman Rogers.

It does seem like they're flirting with Giuliani/9/11 territory here, in which at subject that seems utterly immune to humor, used as a first resort, suddenly becomes a running joke among your political enemies and your late night comic friends.

McCain himself, it should be noted, doesn't tend to talk about his prisoner-of-war experience in random contexts; but his staff and surrogates have been doing it a bit lately.

Rogers didn't need to say that as a response to the ad.  All he had to say is that they were a collection of investment properties belonging to his wifes portfolio.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 02:05:44 PM »

I had never though of Obama as the kind of person Cindy McCain is, but now you've lowered my evaluation of him.  Does he use and steal drugs as well?  Oh, and does Cindy's sisters live on less than a dollar a month?  Perhaps you could name them and tell me about the huts they live in.

That's the point, though--most people don't financially support half-siblings they barely know. No one cares about it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 02:07:04 PM »

Rogers didn't need to say that as a response to the ad.  All he had to say is that they were a collection of investment properties belonging to his wifes portfolio.

I don't think any answer involving "investment properties" and "portfolio" are going to help defend against an attack that McCain is so obscenely wealthy he doesn't have to worry about how many houses he owns. "My wife made me do it" is even worse for projecting a manly, self-made image. Besides, it's not true; he spends time at a bunch of them depending on the time of year and what kind of vacation or amenities he might be seeking.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »

This isn't about McCain owning seven houses, its about him being such a rich pompous ass that he forgot the number of houses he has as if every American has seven houses.

This is very non-seqitur.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 02:10:11 PM »

Rogers didn't need to say that as a response to the ad.  All he had to say is that they were a collection of investment properties belonging to his wifes portfolio.

I don't think any answer involving "investment properties" and "portfolio" are going to help defend against an attack that McCain is so obscenely wealthy he doesn't have to worry about how many houses he owns. "My wife made me do it" is even worse for projecting a manly, self-made image. Besides, it's not true; he spends time at a bunch of them depending on the time of year and what kind of vacation or amenities he might be seeking.

Did anyone ask how many houses Kerry "owned?"  If he had been, I doubt he would know the answer.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 02:10:35 PM »

Will Democrats now admit their candidate is rutting around in the dirt like any other political animal does?

Well guess what buddy a "new kind of politics" does not win you elections. Obama truly was naive in thinking it would work. Hopefully he can at least keep it a little classy. As for this ad, it seems like a little gaffe that might lose Mccain some votes among people losing their homes but honestly this does not have much of an impact.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2008, 02:14:44 PM »

Did anyone ask how many houses Kerry "owned?"  If he had been, I doubt he would know the answer.

True. That's exactly why this attack could be dangerous for McCain. Does he really want the parallels of his grand life to Kerry's to be the focus of September?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »

True. That's exactly why this attack could be dangerous for McCain. Does he really want the parallels of his grand life to Kerry's to be the focus of September?

I don't think Kerry lost because he had a rich wife. I don't think it mattered. Did it matter to anyone that Hillary is uber rich?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2008, 02:23:53 PM »

I don't think Kerry lost because he had a rich wife. I don't think it mattered.

Yes, I don't think Cindy being the source of his wealth is going to be a problem, and the fact that she doesn't have Teresa's personality means it won't become one. The fact that Kerry was obscenely rich and lived like it did become an issue. The jury's out on whether this charge will resonate against McCain or not. He's certainly got a much better common touch than Kerry.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

She is clever enough to live a superficially more modest lifestyle. She could give advice to men like John Edwards, Deval Patrick, and John McCain who splash out on enormous houses and compounds on clearcut wilderness... buy managably-sized mansions in very, very good neighborhoods (in D.C., I think, and Chappaqua) so you can live a luxurious life but not have aerial views of your spread show up in the newspaper.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »

Obama hasn't be campaigning cleanly whatsoever since at LEAST the Pennsylvania primary.  I don't know where y'all are getting sentiment this from.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2008, 02:26:30 PM »

Obama hasn't be campaigning cleanly whatsoever since at LEAST the Pennsylvania primary.  I don't know where y'all are getting sentiment this from.

Yeah, it's hard to criticize some Dems as naive for believing Obama's propaganda about a clean campaign and then be offended when it turns out he isn't, in fact, running a clean campaign.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »

Well guess what buddy a "new kind of politics" does not win you elections. Obama truly was naive in thinking it would work.
You're assuming he ever actually meant any of it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »

Yeah, it's hard to criticize some Dems as naive for believing Obama's propaganda about a clean campaign and then be offended when it turns out he isn't, in fact, running a clean campaign.

1. Why?
2. Who has said that they're offended?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 03:13:07 PM »

I had never though of Obama as the kind of person Cindy McCain is, but now you've lowered my evaluation of him.  Does he use and steal drugs as well?  Oh, and does Cindy's sisters live on less than a dollar a month?  Perhaps you could name them and tell me about the huts they live in.

That's the point, though--most people don't financially support half-siblings they barely know. No one cares about it.

So, you're not saying that Cindy McCain's two half-sisters need financial support, merely that she is not providing financial support to them.

However, are you saying that Obama's half brother does not need financial support?

Oh, and to me someone who claims to "care," about the well-being of the American voters, but doesn't "care" about the well being of a sibling seems a little, er, fraudulent.

It seems to me there's nothing wrong with being rich, or are you asserting there is something wrong with being rich?

Finally, both the Obamas and McCains are well-off (financially) and neither relates to the concerns of the average American.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2008, 03:17:31 PM »

Heh, everyone the cynic now. Not many people were listening to me back in February.

Beet, "extremely dangerous" is empty rhetoric and you know it. Also, Obama's served more than two years.

Go in with your eyes open. Don't expect a perfect man; don't expect a savior. Don't expect everyone to rally around him as it seems like they do at his rallies. Don't expect the media coverage to remain as positive as it is. Do expect some level of disillusionment, but you still support a great candidate who would, in my estimation, make a great President.

"Extremely dangerous" is not empty rhetoric. Obama is extremely charismatic, but relatively inexperienced. He has had a lot of success in a very short time, and it would be folly to expect that it does not effect him, as it effects anyone. Any time people rally around a politician like this in this manner there is a danger.

Btw, (bgwah) I deliberately excluded the years when he was running for President from his "experience as a Senator."

Fortunately March 4 + Wright ruined "dangerous" Obama cultism's threat to balance in America, and gave him a chance to prove what he really is beneath the glitter, and in the remaining 2 months or so that he has to do so, I wish him the best, of course.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2008, 03:27:31 PM »

So, you're not saying that Cindy McCain's two half-sisters need financial support, merely that she is not providing financial support to them.

However, are you saying that Obama's half brother does not need financial support?

Oh, and to me someone who claims to "care," about the well-being of the American voters, but doesn't "care" about the well being of a sibling seems a little, er, fraudulent.

It seems to me there's nothing wrong with being rich, or are you asserting there is something wrong with being rich?

Finally, both the Obamas and McCains are well-off (financially) and neither relates to the concerns of the average American.

I don't know what you're going on about insofar as it has anything to do with me. I'm just saying, they have half-siblings they barely know, and in Obama's case, he doesn't even live in this country. If you think this should be pushed as an attack against Cindy McCain and Barack Obama, ok, we'll respectfully disagree on whether it resonates or not.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2008, 03:29:54 PM »

I don't understand what people have against being rich?

The rich are the enemy. 

Though I'll admit it goes without saying that anyone running for president is a rich (and certainly must serve them).

So in otherwords you are declaring yourself to be the enemy.

Interesting stratey, we'll see if it spares you when the revolution comes.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »

Maybe if Obama bitchslaps McCain hard enough for being "rcih" it will make him feel better about the brother he has left to starve.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2008, 03:36:24 PM »

This would appear to be getting some coverage.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »

Maybe if Obama bitchslaps McCain hard enough for being "rcih" it will make him feel better about the brother he has left to starve.

You really need to give it up, already. Sorry, Soulty. That dog won't hunt.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »

I must be searching incorrectly. I just looked again, and while the top block of results has dropped to 494, we also have this:

I wonder what the distinction is. Well, it doesn't much matter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies