Hard hitting Obama ad: McCain owns SEVEN houses (OMG)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 03:27:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Hard hitting Obama ad: McCain owns SEVEN houses (OMG)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Hard hitting Obama ad: McCain owns SEVEN houses (OMG)  (Read 11538 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2008, 04:08:07 PM »

Actually, I think my statements show that I am, by far, one of the most pro-foreign aid peopel on this forum, Republican or Democrat.

That may well be the case, but "foreign aid" has very little to do with what Barack Obama's stranger of a half-brother is doing with his life.

He's his brother.  They have met.  It would take nothing for Barack to help the guy out a bit.  As I said in another thread, people send checks and letters to people who they will never have real contact with, in the Third World, everyday through the Christian Children's fund... and Barack can't even do that for his own brother.  I would understand if he never met the guy, but he had a chance to find out how his brother was doing and start up a relationship of sorts, and he never bothered to do it.  That's not ignorance, that's apathy.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2008, 04:08:51 PM »

Hahahahahahaha

McCain actually owns 8 properties.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12700.html

McCain says 4, Obama says 7.  Epic fail.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2008, 04:09:33 PM »

Yeah. We had a long quiet period where Obama held the advantage, Republicans were somewhat dispirited but holding up, while Democrats were too uncertain to gloat too openly about what was happening. Then the Edwards scandal broke, and McCain ran some ads, and the polls tightened, and soon there was a sense of hope and a little cockiness from one side, bumping up the scandal stories... desperation starting on the other, debating whether Obama was losing... so when you have the tide start to turn again and McCain suddenly slipping, you have a recipe for a blow-up with none of the good feelings and tolerance from a month ago. People are angry.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »

Cool little ad.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2008, 04:17:26 PM »

Hahahahahahaha

Lunar4Prez! He's more in touch with reality than Obama or McCain (I mean this in a good way; I'm not making fun of you, honest)!

That aside, I don't see what the issue is. I'm extremely poor, but I don't see anything wrong with McCain having money.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »

Hahahahahahaha

Lunar4Prez! He's more in touch with reality than Obama or McCain (I mean this in a good way; I'm not making fun of you, honest)!

That aside, I don't see what the issue is. I'm extremely poor, but I don't see anything wrong with McCain having money.

The issue really isn't that McCain is rich, although that is a side-issue jabbed with the "13 million" comment in the ad.  The "message" from the ad is that McCain is out-of-touch with economic matters, especially the housing crisis, because he is such a 'celebrity' that he cannot remember how many houses he and his wife own.  It's sort of a better-articulated backhand to the Paris&Britney attack.  Americans are ok with rich people, but we don't like rich people that cannot remember how many houses they own or how many servants they have, y'know?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2008, 04:37:09 PM »

Hahahahahahaha

The issue really isn't that McCain is rich, although that is a side-issue jabbed with the "13 million" comment in the ad.  The "message" from the ad is that McCain is out-of-touch with economic matters, especially the housing crisis, because he is such a 'celebrity' that he cannot remember how many houses he and his wife own.  It's sort of a better-articulated backhand to the Paris&Britney attack.  Americans are ok with rich people, but we don't like rich people that cannot remember how many houses they own or how many servants they have, y'know?

McCain is a 'celebrity' because he can't remember how many properties he owns?  Talk about tortured logic.

By the way, what does it make Team Obama given that even they couldn't get the number of properties owned by McCain right either?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2008, 04:39:36 PM »

Actually, it will probably help Obama that they got the number of houses wrong.  The media (or themselves fixing the ad) correcting them will just keep it in the news longer.  McCain really doesn't want to have a debate about whether he owns seven or eight houses while I think Obama is ok with that, haha.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »

This has to be the stupidest attack ad I have ever scene.  The Democrats aren't even bothering to hide their blatant attempt at class warfare, nor are they mentioning that Obama's got some coin too.

You know, for once I think this might actually backfire.
Class warfare works well during recessions and in areas with really hard hit economies.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »

Hahahahahahaha

McCain is a 'celebrity' because he can't remember how many properties he owns?  Talk about tortured logic.

By the way, what does it make Team Obama given that even they couldn't get the number of properties owned by McCain right either?

No one ever said that the average voter is capable of dealing with reasoned argument. Wink That's why this is "the era of the sound byte."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »

I would strongly encourage the McCain campaign to pursue this argument. "You guys undercounted, too!"
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2008, 04:51:51 PM by Evilmexicandictator »

haha I love how worked up all the Republicans are getting over this class warfare ad. Hey when you fight with fire, we fight with fire back and class warfare does work effectivley in many areas around the country.(Ohio, Michigan, Indiana)
Still not the greatest ad by any means even in areas with bad economics I only give this ad a C+.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »

McCain has now dropped the Rezko card and the Ayers card this afternoon.

Obama should have made sure he could finish what he has started.  I don' think he can.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »

McCain has now dropped the Rezko card and the Ayers card this afternoon.

The Rezko play was quite foolish for McCain to play now. He and his campaign, and almost anyone here, could script Obama's response.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2008, 04:50:03 PM »

lolz at this ad.

A good attack ad could've been made on housing and McCain's homes if their campaign were creative about it, but this was just poorly executed and confusing.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2008, 04:55:38 PM »

One of the better attack ads I've seen. It has the right tone for an attack ad, subtle yet powerful. It helps push away the "elitist" viewpoint.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »

Oh, and why won't Obama help support his impoverished half-brother?

Maybe for the same reason that "only child" Cindy doesn't support her half-sisters.

Oh, well its nice of you to provide that explanation.

I had never though of Obama as the kind of person Cindy McCain is, but now you've lowered my evaluation of him.  Does he use and steal drugs as well?  Oh, and does Cindy's sisters live on less than a dollar a month?  Perhaps you could name them and tell me about the huts they live in.

One's being quiet. (The one that's has the same mother.)  The other is being a bit noisier, and while not as bad off as Obama's Kenyan half-brother, is hardly living in the lap of luxury.  However, Kathleen Hensley Portalski was receiving a regular stipend that was cut off immediately after dad's funeral and Cindy never bothers to acknowledge that she does have half-sisters and makes much of being an "only child".

My point is, the half-sibling issue works against both candidates.  By itself, it hurts Obama more, but it also shines a spotlight on Cindy, which hurts McCain in any number of ways.  The more Cindy is an issue in the campaign, the worse it will be for McCain.  People can understand not necessarily doing everything for a blood relative one has not been close to (not necessarily like it, but they can understand it, as everyone as relatives they don't care for).  However, very few can sympathize with the rigors of being a multi-millionaire heiress, as most have no experience with that.

As I've said elsewhere, it would be good if McCain does win the presidency if Cindy could get daughter Meghan to handle the White House hostess role.  It won't have been the first time a daughter substituted for the mother in such a role.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2008, 05:36:41 PM »

This must have pushed some buttons to get this much of a reaction here.

Good job, Obama ad dudes!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2008, 07:00:57 PM »

It's one rich elitist snob against another.  I'll vote for the one that will throw me a scrap every now and then.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2008, 07:03:55 PM »

This is by far the dumbest political ad in twenty years. Primarily for that reason, I expect it to be very effective.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2008, 07:06:24 PM »

This is by far the dumbest political ad in twenty years. Primarily for that reason, I expect it to be very effective.

This statement is arrogant and elitist, you SNOB. Tongue
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2008, 07:08:08 PM »

If this happened to be Obama, instead of McCain, then I'm sure we'd see the elitist charges flying by the Conservatives.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2008, 07:11:13 PM »

Glad to see we've moved back to the politics of hate.  Good move Mr. Clean-campaigning.
In fairness not knowing how many houses you own does seem pretty remarkably clueless.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2008, 07:12:33 PM »

If this happened to be Obama, instead of McCain, then I'm sure we'd see the elitist charges flying by the Conservatives.

Hey I am just waiting for someone to call Obama arrogant or elitist for even making this ad.
"OMGZ he is attacking people with multiple homes...what an arrogantelitist LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOZ"
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2008, 07:16:48 PM »

McCain Prepares Rezko Ad; Wright "Now Fair Game"; GOP 527 Attacks

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/08/mccain_prepares_rezko_ad_wrigh.php

Lets see what happens. McCain on his way to playing the "race card" by running with Wright perhaps?

As for class warfare, who gains the most from McCain's tax cuts? It's not the middle class or the working poor, I bet. He's the true elitist. I don't think its the wealthiest Americans struggling to get by in Bush's America

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies